Highest number of miles you'd consider on a used truck

• queenswake
    NULL

Like many, I’m toying with the idea of going with used for my next truck to avoid the 60K+ cost of new. However, it’s a different game than it used to be and as many on here already know, with the current prices, it’s seems smarter to just go new and eat the extra cost.

The current used one I’m looking at now is 60K miles at about 40K out the door, but before an extended warranty. I don’t know what a new one with the same trim would be, but I’m guessing 65K, if not higher.

My current truck has 203K miles on it. So assuming the same longevity, and with the longest extended warranty I can find, does it still make sense to consider used at 40K? I bought this truck with 60K miles and have put on the 140K since then. I’ve probably put 10K into it over the 16 years I’ve had it. But I’m worried that unless I can get a lifetime extended warranty, today’s trucks have so much more to break with all of the electronics and sensors and you name it.

The problem I have is that at 203K miles, and the truck is a 2002, my trade-in is only a few thousand. So I’m looking at ponying up a bunch of cash for a down payment, which is harder to swallow on the new one.

What made you go decide one way or another.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Looks like you are doing a bit over 10,000 miles a year? These motors are fantastic compared to what I grew up with. Look at a truck in the 80-100,000 mile range. The savings will be greater and it will take you 20 years to wear it out. It will be a rust bucket before the motor lets loose.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I used to only buy used. My last truck was an 09 Ram and I ended up putting a ton of money into it over the 3 years I owned it. I believe I bought it with probably 120k on it. Last spring I bought new because I know how it’s going to be treated and everything that has been done with it. Plus, it has everything that I wanted in it. I originally wanted to go used but the used trucks I was looking at were only $10-15k lower than what brand new was. To me, piece of mind and the warranty are well worth that extra money.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

With the concern on low miles, I assume your looking at gasoline??? I went diesel in 2001 and never looked back. Diesel isn’t for everyone. I’m 40 to 60k for mileage n my primary truck a year. The average mileage I’ve bought used is about 160-200k I considered it broken in at over 300k miles. All my trucks I’ve sold have been 550 to 650k miles.

queenswake
    NULL

Yeah, gas for me. I know mileage is a completely different story with diesel.

Another question is the pros and cons of moving up to a 3/4 ton gas truck. In the used market, the 3/4 ton trucks are not that much more and I like them because all of them have the 6.5 foot bed size in the crew cab model size. In the 1/2 tons, the longer bed is the rarity so I have to sort through a lot of them to find those.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The ride is vastly different in the 3/4 ton. Something to consider. If you aren’t towing often I wouldn’t wouldn’t do it.

Beast

1985 was my last new truck, now everything I buy is 36,000 or less. never had a problem.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t buy a lot of vehicles, but I usually aim for 60-70K. It’s worked out well for me with the exception of a Tahoe that blew it’s motor at 100k.

catnip
    south metro

My only concern with used vehicles is service history. If the former owners only did 4 oil changes in 40k I would run like hell but if it had 8 or 10 in 40k I’m sold. Other than that they can all be great or crap its a gamble these days.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought my 1st new truck a few months ago. Before this I’ve owned more used beaters in my 23 years of driving than most people own in 2 lifetimes. IMO you get burned buying used vehicles in the 80-120k range. The reason is the cost to buy is still pretty high and you have a chance they will break down on the way home. Having invested so much to purchase it you are obligated to invest more in repairs to “get your money’s worth” out of the truck. That’s a never ending game.

I always bought VERY used vehicles. The longest lasting best truck I ever drove I bought for $500 and ran it with very minimal repairs for 4 years. Most trucks I would buy had more than 170k and cost in the $500-$2000 range. Would usually get a few good years out of them and then manage to sell for 30% of what I paid.

Last year I purchased a yukon for $8500. After TTL and new tires I was into it for almost 10k. Really nice vehicle but 9 months into ownership the rear end went out and the repair would have been very costly.

The reason I bought new this time was partly because I’ve been planning on making this purchase for about 5 years but also because prices on used trucks are really high right now. It makes more sense to buy new when you factor in the interest rate increase on a used car loan. As mentioned its a great peace of mind to know the full vehicle history too.

As you mentioned more gadgets that break in vehicles these days I’ll say the new vehicle I bought was a tundra. Very plain truck without all the do dads most vehicles have in them these days that send a vehicle to the shop. Good luck

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Interest rates are extremely low right now. Demand for used is high. That makes buying new much more attractive.

I don’t know what trim level you are looking but for $40k with 60,000 miles it better be gold plated.

I’d be looking new with low interest rates….check out your credit unions. Sell your existing outright. You can find a new ram bighorn or Chevy Silverado in the low to mid 40’s with decent trim.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I don’t know what trim level you are looking but for $40k with 60,000 miles it better be gold plated.

Got to agree…aren’t brand new Tundras around $40-45k???

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Got to agree…aren’t brand new Tundras around $40-45k???

Paid $45,500 OTD for mine. SX package which is just an SR5 appearance package. Added tonneau cover, spray in bed liner, front and rear TRD sway bars & running boards. Negotiated price was $40,500. Had to go to Fargo to get that deal though.

To the OP whether you buy new or used inventory is low for a lot of vehicles right now so don’t be afraid to travel for a good price

Charles

What brand of truck we talking here that seams a bit high.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you know exactly what you want, I’d try, if possible, to just be patient and find a slightly used one. It helps if you know someone or develop a relationship with someone at a dealership, have your financing ready, and jump on a low mileage trade in. $40k should get you a pretty close to new truck, and far fewer than 60k miles imo. I bought a 2017 Ram Big Horn with 7k miles from Brandl Motors in Little Falls, for $32k in 2018, and per NADA it’s still worth 27-31k now with 40k miles on it. I also traded my old truck in and got about 8k toward the new one, which puts me in a pretty good place now and just need to hold off the urge of upgrading!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To the OP whether you buy new or used inventory is low for a lot of vehicles right now so don’t be afraid to travel for a good price

Unless the OP’s current truck has soiled the bed linens, then now is the perfect time to AVOID buying.

The stimulus checks are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. Everybody and their dog has taxpayer money burning a hole in their pocket and they are looking for a place to spend it. And interest rates are still low, low, and lower. Surprise, vehicle sales are red hot! Who’d have thunk it?

Let everyone else burn their stimulus money inflating prices and buy later when everone else isn’t.

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Unless the OP’s current truck has soiled the bed linens, then now is the perfect time to AVOID buying.

I agree. compounding the problem is a a chip shortage which is limiting new stock which not only raises the prices but puts a greater burden on the used truck market as people look to buy whatever they can.

I purchased right after Christmas. Early in December i was offered a higher trim truck at a great discount but passed that up and i think had i waited just a few weeks longer to purchase the truck i ended up buying would have cost me a few thousand more. Prices have been going up fast and deals have been hard to come by starting around December-January. I haven’t really heard anyone forecasting things will be getter soon but maybe it will. who knows

deertracker

I’m starting to shop for a used Suburban or Yukon XL. Getting very stressed out. smirk The average seems to be a 2015 with 120,000 for 25K. That will probably be my max budget. I can’t make a move yet but will in a few months. I may also look into a salvaged and either do it myself or have a buddy in autobody do it.
    DT

munchy
    NULL

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a pristine 6 year old F150 with 12k miles from a friend of the family. Price was OK, not great but my gut told me not to. Declined the offer and found out another family member bought it. Fast forward 1000 miles and the engine blew.

So even though a vehicle has low miles doesn’t mean it will be without problems.

In my experience I’d rather purchase a truck with 100k highway miles than one with 50k city miles.

My last truck I sold had 220k on it, mostly highway and I still see it zipping around town on occasion.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

IF gas continues to go up and start pushing $4 a gallon your going to start to see all kind of deals on trucks and the big SUV`s. Just like a few years ago when price was $4 to close to $5 many people could not give away a large SUV and dealers did not even want them.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Covid seems to have done a number on the used truck market, glad I grabbed my current truck when I did last January. Have been eyeballing the local market some since out of curiosity and pretty slim pickings and what is there is way overpriced from what it would have been a year+ ago. Both my last two trucks were 2 years old with less than 20K and both were somewhere around 12000-15000 less than the same thing brand new. Just did a KBB trade in value on my 2018 and it came up with pretty much the same price I bought it for 14 months ago now (and I tend to believe that). These are all 1/2 ton pickups I’m looking at.

I have come up with a complaint with my new truck (18 silverado), cab is so quiet I can’t hear the hum of my tires and actually have to look at my speedometer to check my speed. Last one I could tell you within 5 mph what my speed was by the pitch of the tire noise.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I wouldn’t put too much faith in any extended warranty. At best they will probably pay for the new part, or possibly only 50% of the new part.

There is a good chance that you would still be 100% responsible for jacked up labor costs that increase because it’s warranty work.

My top choice extended warranty didn’t cover any sensors or wiring. Nothing electronic is included in the warranty unless specifically stated. You may get a starter or alternator covered but it will still cost you nearly the same as
    going to an auto parts store and finding a good independent mechanic.

Used trucks suck, good luck with your choice.

Extended warranties are a joke. Most of them only cover stuff that hardly ever breaks. You have just about the same odds of winning the lottery as collecting on an extended warranty. 99% of the people who come out ahead on an extended warranty—the person/dealer/financial institution/warranty company selling it too you.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a pristine 6 year old F150 with 12k miles from a friend of the family. Price was OK, not great but my gut told me not to. Declined the offer and found out another family member bought it. Fast forward 1000 miles and the engine blew.

So even though a vehicle has low miles doesn’t mean it will be without problems.

In my experience I’d rather purchase a truck with 100k highway miles than one with 50k city miles.

My last truck I sold had 220k on it, mostly highway and I still see it zipping around town on occasion.

Devils advocate here but maybe they blew the engine? Always two sided.
    I bought a 2016 Silverado with the LTZ trip in 2019 for 23,500 with 78,000miles. Runs beautiful. Maybe I’m old fashioned but ill never pay over 30000 for a truck let alone 70,000.
    I bet I drive it the next five years.

walleyevision

I was in the same boat as the OP a couple of months ago. I got rid of my 06′ Tundra with 200k on it. Loved that truck but was ready for something else. Bought a 19′ sierra with 26k on it. Really like my new to me truck but one thing I noticed almost instantly was “holy crap, there is a lot of electronic stuff that can break in here!”. I’ll be in the garage tinkering and the truck will randomly buzz and make noises…wth was that!

I really do miss the simplicity of my Tundra. The cd/cassette player was the most technologically advanced thing in it. It actually had a key for the ignition, lol.

That being said, it is nice have a backup camera, bluetooth and heated seats.

If you are thinking a new Tundra (no idea if you are), I’d wait till the redesigned 22’s come out. The twin turbo V6 is supposed to be pretty awesome.

mnfisherman18

I am generally an advocate of buying a 5 year old truck with about 60,000 miles on it. In todays used market, I honestly think buying new makes more sense right now. There’s always a risk buying used, but I bought my 2013 from a private party and couldn’t be happier with it (knock on wood). It’s been 2 years and I could sell it for more now than what I paid for it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I am generally an advocate of buying a 5 year old truck with about 60,000 miles on it. In todays used market, I honestly think buying new makes more sense right now.

I agree

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I really do miss the simplicity of my Tundra. The cd/cassette player was the most technologically advanced thing in it. It actually had a key for the ignition, lol.
    That being said, it is nice have a backup camera, bluetooth and heated seats.
    If you are thinking a new Tundra (no idea if you are), I’d wait till the redesigned 22’s come out. The twin turbo V6 is supposed to be pretty awesome.

They have come a long way! Bluetooth and backup camera in my 2021! no heated seats in my model though and i still use a key. I was actually kinda hoping for push button start as i had gotten used to it in the wifes car but keys work.

Rumors for the 2022 are torque, towing, and payload specs that surpass all other half tons as well as a projected 30 mpg. We shall see. Of course there is no way that it will be as reliable as the tried and true Toyota 5.7L V8

queenswake
    NULL

OP here. Yeah, I think I have convinced myself to go new. And after I priced them out, they aren’t as high as I thought. I keep trucks for a long time, so it makes sense. As others have said, even if I do sell it in a few years, I won’t lose much money on it with the way the prices are. Again, the hard part for me is not having much trade-in value from my old truck for a down payment, but I can come up with the cash from other sources.

I am looking at a GMC Sierra. I used to lean towards the look of the Chevy, but overwhelmingly prefer the GMC in the recent generations. But all of the big four make very nice trucks now. I like aspects of all of them. I can see why people go for Dodge for what you get for the price.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Guys, as someone in the auto industry and seeing repairs on these trucks. Please pass on any gas engine with a turbo. Yes they have great horsepower and torque numbers but they are very expensive to fix. And yes I am seeing them fail.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Guys, as someone in the auto industry and seeing repairs on these trucks. Please pass on any gas engine with a turbo. Yes they have great horsepower and torque numbers but they are very expensive to fix. And yes I am seeing them fail.

100 percent agree.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.