Hey iowaboy1 I got 1 for ya…

• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Before I go in to my mechanic in the morning what do you think about this….
    About 2 months ago my 2000 Nissan Frontier (crew cab) started to spill gas right after the pump shut off filling it up….the gas did not come out of the filler-tube directly,but from under the body…..not just a small dab either….looks to me to be about a 1/4 gallon or so……I just put it off and only put $20 in at a time….
    Until this week…..1st ,after warming up,there would be a noise that sounded a ball bearing rolling in a 6″ tube coming from the rear pass side (I looked,nothing inside was making that noise) when I turned R or L….
    Yesterday the service engine came on, and stayed on, steady…gas cap is tight..

Just curious as this is my very first truck in 30yrs without “Chevrolet” on it…. grin

Thanks bud waytogo

Iowaboy1

Man,you are asking a lot! I will do my best without being there to see and hear it for myself,and without a scanner!!
    first,the gas leak,it sounds to me like either a vent tube or evaporative emissions hose/solenoid/canister has failed and leaking when the tank is full.
    I have also seen where there is a hole rusted through the top of the fuel pump module.

if you cant see anything obvious from underneath with a light and a mirror,its time to hook it up to a smoke machine to find the leak.
    I would venture a guess as to this is why the check engine light is on,the PCM has detected a leak when it performs the vacuum/pressure test,but who knows for sure until you hook it up to a scanner

now as far as the noise in the rear IF that is where its coming from,and only when you turn,either an axle bearing is failing,or there is something wrong in the differential.
    cannot remember if that vehicle has a two piece driveshaft as there are not many of that model in my area,that said,if it does have a two piece driveshaft,its possible that the center carrier bearing support has torn loose and allowing the shaft to run in an egg shape circle,but that usually creates a noise under load and when decelerating.

I would be willing to bet that the noise is actually coming from the front end and you have either a bad CVC shaft which will make a ratcheting noise when turning,or the wheel hub bearing has failed,both of these will make a noise when turning,and when bad enough,will make a racket driving in a straight line.
    crawl underneath to see if the boots are torn on the CVC,there will be grease strewn every where as well.

to check the front hub bearing,jack up the front end and see if you can rock the wheel top to bottom,any play here indicates a bad bearing if the upper and lower ball joints are good,it can be bad and not have play,so keep that in mind.
    if thats the case,grab the knuckle or strut and spin the tire,if its rough you will feel it in that area.
    if that vehicle has independent rear suspension,( for the life of me,I cant remember ) then yes,a bad hub bearing back there will give you the noise much like a front bearing will.

hope you figure it out!! let us know,and like I said,its dang tough to diagnose over the net!! so if I strike out on any or all of it,please forgive in advance!!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Man,you are asking a lot!

Ahhh yes,but isn’t the challenge fun grin
    But it’s not leaking after the initial dump….and I kind of figured it had something it has something to do with the vapor recovery system so the smoke test will be done soon….After the scan of course….

I have also seen where there is a hole rusted through the top of the fuel pump module.

Interesting…1 more thing to mention to my mechanic
    As far as the noise goes…It’s definitely not a drivetrain noise,been there done that more than once and it’s been gone over and done recently…..It almost sounds like the old PVC valves with the ball valve that rattles…..
    I’ll let you know what my guy says later this week…….maybe I’ll just go back to Chevys……at least then I know what to expect grin
    wave

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well I have an update….and I was going to PM but I might as well man up…

Jeff ran a scan and it was an emissions code that set off the light…smoke test on Wednesday…….

The noise issue was elusive until he took a ride with me so we could pinpoint where it was coming from….something that’s hard to do when you’re driving…and finally tracked it down…..
    The lightblub had fallen out of the holder in the domelight and it was rolling around redface rotflol

I have a smooth dude as a mechanic……He got quite the laugh….

Thanks bud waytogo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.