Help with boat value

• Gitchi Gummi

My step dad passed away last year and we are working through his estate. One item we are going to sell is his boat, a 2001 19.5’ Champion console boat. It’s a great boat that I’ve put countless hours in over the years, but we have determined that we are not going to keep it. I was hoping you all could help me with getting a ball park on what it should be listed for on the used market.

It is a 2001 Champion Fish Finder, 19.5 ft deep V fiberglass with a 2001 225 HP Merc Opti 2 stroke with a 15 hp Mercury 4 stroke kicker motor. The boat has a jack plate that can move the motor up/down approximately 6 inches in addition to the normal tilt/trim. It has a first generation iPilot 101 LB thrust Minnkota trolling motor (would have to check what year/model it is but I think Terrova), a Humminbird 1098 side imaging at the dash and a Humminbird 898 up in the bow (both Gen1 – about 8 years old if I had to guess). It has two Cannon Downriggers that were top of the line a couple years ago, I believe they are the Optimum model. They are fully electric with transducer that allows you to set the downrigger depth based on bottom (i.e. 5 ft off bottom) or to jig it at whatever interval you choose. The boat has two gas tanks – front and rear.

The trailer is a double axel trailer and the trailer lights need some TLC. The carpet in the boat is worn out and needing to be replaced. The seats also have a good deal of wear and tear on them. Both livewells work, there is a bait well under each seat, the boat has tons of storage, several rod holders and a marine radio in addition to the graphs and downriggers. The trolling motor batteries are on their last legs and would likely need to be replaced.

It is a great boat – I fished countless hours on big water with it including Lake Superior and Lake of the Woods.
    I have no idea what to list this boat for, especially since you don’t see too many Champion boats for sale in this neck of the woods. Planning to get it on the market within the next couple weeks and am hoping for a quick sale. The boat will be listed/sold in the Duluth area. These are the best pics I have until I take it out of storage.

Attachments:
    1. champ2.jpg

2. champ.png

3. IMG_1383.jpg

4. BF9E37A3-D25A-411B-806A-6FBBD1DF5B56.png

Benny

I don’t know a ton about Champions either, but it seems to look like a solid boat. Definitely looks used, could use some carpet repair based on the photos. That Optimax I believe comes from the “Opti-bomb” era. Maybe it’s been trouble free for you guys, but just something people might be leery of. I’d think the electronics aren’t worth much, but at least make the boat fishing ready. The downriggers are definitely a nice touch. The used market is nuts now so you could probably list it at $18-19k and drop the price $1k every week until someone bites. Depends how quick you want to get rid of it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As Benny mentioned the interior needs a bunch of work, the electronics are nothing special. The best thing you have going is the kicker and downriggers. It’s a 20 year old hull & trailer with what could be a solid or questionable main motor. I would be a buyer but would need a scan on the motor detailing hours before writing a check.

Personally I think the best owner would be you. You know the history and have a attachment to the boat through your step dads memory.

If you decide to sell flip me a PM with the price I would be a cash buyer at the right number. Also shoot me a contact number and if it’s someplace it could be seen.

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks fellas. You are spot on with the interior needing some work. Structurally everything is sound but the carpet and seats are definitely worn.

I’m not in a huge rush to get rid of it but don’t want to have to cater to every Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to come kick the tires. I’d rather list it to sell it than list it higher and try to scratch and claw for another grand or two.

For the record, the Opti (and the kicker) have never given us any issues.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not an expert on these boats, but I know there is a decently large amount of anglers that seek out Champion boats and the older ones at that. This may be more with their bass boats but it may be worth looking into some Champion owners groups online.

B-man

First off I’m very sorry to hear about your Dad’s passing. The day that happens I’ll be a very sad man.

As for the boat:

If I were you I’d pony up for new seats, powerwash the carpet (treat the stains beforehand, then only use straight water), give the hull and motors a once over with The Works toilet bowl cleaner, then buff/wax the hull. Fix the trailer lights and go through the hubs. If the impellers are questionable put new ones in.

Don’t forget the details, clean all of the compartments, the lids, the bilge. Make sure everything works and is as immaculate as possible.

A compression test is huge too. Do one beforehand and document it with video and pictures and be prepared to do it for a serious buyer if they request it.

One or two weekends of your time could make you thousands of dollars. I’ve flipped several boats like yours for a good chunk of change. Your elbow grease can potentially be worth a hundred dollars+ an hour.

As for the batteries, used batteries are used batteries. If they work, leave them in the boat. If they’re questionable, replace them and make it clear it the boat has “x” amount of new batteries that cost “x amount”

Don’t put a penny into electronics/trolling motor if what’s on it are functional. You won’t see that money back unless it’s ancient AND you get a screaming deal on something more modern.

If you’re not wanting to put the work in yourself, I’d also be interested in offering you a lower cash as-is offer as well. I might also be interested in a commission based sale, you name your price and I’ll put in the work/parts/repairs and sell it for you.

Ripjiggen

IMHO Bman is spot on. A few hundred and some elbow grease will turn into a couple thousand in return. It will not only make you more money but will also bring in the serious buyers and less tire kickers.
    If I was looking at the boat I would say the seats and carpet look like they have been sitting around for a bit what has the motor been doing and probably make you jump through hoops to get me more info on the motor condition. Those downriggers are not cheap either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.