Help please- Minn Kota Power Drive V1 PD40 quesstion

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

Help please. I recently bought a jon boat that had a Minn Kota Power Drive V1 PD40 on it. It did not have the foot pedal with it. My question is, can I test the motor some how without the foot pedal. I don’t want to invest money in a foot pedal if the motor is junk. Attached is a picture of the plug. Can I just hook jumpers to two prongs some how is see if motor spins? I can’t find a manual on-line anywhere. Hate to just throw it away. Any help would be appreciated. Picture shows plug. Please and Thank you for any help.

Attachments:
    1. Minn-Kota-PD40.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Best bet is to find some one with a foot pedal. There are lots of them out there. Post your location. Lots of helpful guys on here

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The foot pedals on those power drives are notorious for wearing out. Its the contact points that fail. My Father has replaced 4 of them on his 2001 Powerdrive and they are becoming harder to find…and more expensive too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The foot pedals on those power drives are notorious for wearing out. Its the contact points that fail. My Father has replaced 4 of them on his 2001 Powerdrive and they are becoming harder to find…and more expensive too.

That has nothing to do with his question.

munchy
    NULL

Is an almost 20 year old unit worth the risk of buying a $250+ used pedal that could go bad after a few uses?

Motor Clinic in Bloomington is the goto place for anything Minnkota

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would contact minnkota to see if they would send you an electrical diagram of the plug. Then you could test it, or as others have said see if someone around you has a foot pedal to try.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That has nothing to do with his question.

Is an almost 20 year old unit worth the risk of buying a $250+ used pedal that could go bad after a few uses?

That’s the point I was trying to make.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You can buy footpedals on Craigslist for 50 bucks. Well worth it if your not trying to drop big money. I just sold mine. I ran the same pedal for a long time and bought a spare just in case from Craigslist for 45 bucks

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I would think that putting a multi meter on it would also tell whether the motor was good, just need to know which prongs to test.

munchy
    NULL

You can buy footpedals on Craigslist for 50 bucks. Well worth it if your not trying to drop big money. I just sold mine. I ran the same pedal for a long time and bought a spare just in case from Craigslist for 45 bucks

Thats a Unicorn now days. Since MK stopped supporting them the price has skyrocketed. Can’t find them on ebay for less than $200.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Thats a Unicorn now days. Since MK stopped supporting them the price has skyrocketed. Can’t find them on ebay for less than $200.

There is 2 on Craigslist right now. Not ebay.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also totally get what you mean but I was trying to lead him in the direction so he could test the motor out. Im sure every one would like a new motor but thats not always a option

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Plus who knows what kind of condition they are on Craigslist. I’m not saying you bought junk Bearcat but someone could easily sell you an already worn out one too. I guess its a risk vs reward.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Remove cap. Apply 12v directly to wires going down shaft.
    This is a 10 minute procedure that will tell you if the motor is working.

Arlyn Sieck

have series 1 power drive 24 volt 70lb I am looking to sell .

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

See picture

Attachments:
    1. Capture.jpg

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sand-burr wrote:</div>
    See picture

Bingo that’s what he needed

It kind of is. That is the end that goes to the foot pedal. The test procedures may not equate and it will be a mirror of the drawing.

tswoboda

There is 2 on Craigslist right now. Not ebay.

I’m not seeing them.

They’re V2 pedals with round plug. Right, Bearcat??

munchy
    NULL

They’re V2 pedals with round plug. Right, Bearcat??

That’s all I was seeing

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.