Help Identify Fish

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I was casting off of my dock on Saturday morning and saw a fish that I do not think I have seen before. It had a black head with a very lightly colored body and the tip of its tail was black. I tried to take a few pictures with my phone. It is fairly difficult to see, but if you look close you should be able to see it in the two pictures I have included.

Thanks,

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0913-best.jpg

2. 2nd-2.jpg

saugeye-steve

Very hard to see.
    Looks like a diseased tullibee.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I know the pictures are pretty hard to find the fish in. Partly the lighting and shooting through water on a camera phone. Partly the coloration of the fish itself. I did some enhancements to the photos which make the fish easier to find, but the coloration is more accurate on the originals.

Attachments:
    1. 2nd-2b.jpg

2. IMG_0913-best-1.jpg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Bass

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

X2 on bass as my guess

Looks like a perfect sized eater too out of the cool water waytogo

hawghunter08

X2 on diseased fish of some sort. Would have to see a better picture to ever make a decision on that. Maybe someone released a coy? That is odd looking whatever it is

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The tail looks forked in the left hand picture. Both basses found in the lake have less pronounced forks in the tails. And to me the head looks more streamlined than bass.

Red Eye

If this was on millelacs perhaps its one of those Genetic and behavioral modified super bass? Think we heard a tale about them one time. I wouldn’t hang my toes over the dock if that’s the case.

Bob Erfish

It’s a state record green sunfish.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I was up on Mille Lacs last week. I saw one of these fish. It was in a reed bed just outside the Cedar Creek launch. It did not look sick. Same coloration as in the photo. It had the dark head and silvery body. The tail was very very forked. Was not a tullibee or bass. Can’t say what it was.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Could it be some sort of Shad?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

That doesn’t look like any fish that belongs in the lake. I’d submit the photo to dnr fisheries and see what they say.

hossfisher

Look up Melanosis on fish. My guess is smallmouth bass with melanosis, but could be any number of species based on the photos.

maddogg

It’s definitely the elusive Yetti fish.

cheers

white fish or tullibee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.