Help figure this one out

• Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Ok guys I’m in the Outdoor technology and small engine repair.Which is now not offered do to the lack of interest according to my professor.This is also due to the diesel program I heard.My thought we all get older and wanna retire.So who is going to take over working on our lovely small engines that can be a real pain.I hope the coarse will still be offered but is upsetting.
    Sorry to vent and was all over the place

Deb Dallas
    Inactive
    Minneapolis

It’s OK sugar buns, mama is here to make all better!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

was all over the place

Can say that again man, yowzers.

Even if your tech school doesn’t offer it I’m sure I’ve seen it offered in community papers. I’d check local programs, even if you have to travel a lil bit and pay non resident fees, couple hundred bucks now can save you thousands over the long run fixing everything a man should know how to fix.

This reminded me of the old site where you had to confirm what you wanted to post, which usually meant you reread it first. PIA for the most part, but miss it occasionally grin

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol, she couldn’t stay away.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gabe – Its just not in your field. The average age of a carpenter is 50’s.

Deb Dallas – How you doin?

bigpike

I was going to say the same thing. My field: Toolmaking is going extinct. Anyone looking for a free relocation to the northwoods of Wisconsin with a great paying job? My company has had openings for 6 months. Not 1 application. Seems like trades are becoming a thing of the past.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Gabe, here is my diatribe on careers. Don’t buy into the hype of finding a job that you love if only for the sake of joy. Be smart…look at what the marketplace is selling and capitalize on it. For example; if you have a cart full of oranges and I have a cart full of apples and your oranges are selling 3 to 1 over my apples, if I’m smart, I’ll find some oranges to sell.

Small engine repair MIGHT be oranges someday but that is your calculated risk. Especially if competition for repair makes you more exclusive someday. But I’d advise something in tech or engineering to a young lad such as yourself. Especially if you want some bank for you and your family someday. I know keeping a little lady like Debbie around and interested will require a little coin!

Loving what you do and getting paid good money rarely happens to most of us. But thats why they call it WORK and have to pay us to do it. Cause no one would otherwise do it if it didn’t feel like work.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

C’mon guys…This is an easy one. Deb Dallas is 300 bills and picked a hottie off the net for her avatar. This one is easy…RR

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Deb Dallas wrote:</div>

C’mon guys…This is an easy one. Deb Dallas is 300 bills and picked a hottie off the net for her avatar. This one is easy…RR

I thought I made it clear already…360lbs!

lhprop1
    Eagan

Or “she” spends half of her time eating Spam in a trailer at Evert’s, the other half with her fingers knuckle deep in stink bait, and the other half posting on IDO while wearing a clown nose.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Gabe, take a personality test to find your strengths and weaknesses and general personality. THen, find a career that will best suit your strengths; as it will be rewarding to do well in whatever you choose.

Go here take free test get 4-letter personality type code
    http://www.truity.com/view/tests/personality-type

Then google search jobs for (Insert 4-letter code)

See what comes up. You might be surprised at the opportunities available to you.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Ok guys I’m in the Outdoor technology and small engine repair.Which is now not offered do to the lack of interest according to my professor.This is also due to the diesel program I heard.My thought we all get older and wanna retire.So who is going to take over working on our lovely small engines that can be a real pain.I hope the coarse will still be offered but is upsetting.

If the program is not being offered due to lack of interest I would reconsider your career options – This tells me there is not a substantial market for the service.

You also wont make any $$ repairing small engines working for someone else. The flip-side is that starting a small business is not easy and being a “business owner” is not all its cracked up to be. If your goal is to be self-employed to choose your own schedule, forget about it. You will work twice as hard and net half as much.

If you are serious about pursuing your dream to guide and fishing professionally….

1. Go to college
    2. Get a degree in business, finance, or accounting
    3. Apply for a job that offers a good benefit package
    4. Put together a budget and live within your means
    5. See #’s 1-4
    6. Fish during the few hours you’re not working your @$$ off.

WW

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gabriel Richard Kuettner wrote:</div>

If the program is not being offered due to lack of interest I would reconsider your career options – This tells me there is not a substantial market for the service.

You also wont make any $$ repairing small engines working for someone else. The flip-side is that starting a small business is not easy and being a “business owner” is not all its cracked up to be. If your goal is to be self-employed to choose your own schedule, forget about it. You will work twice as hard and net half as much.

If you are serious about pursuing your dream to guide and fishing professionally….

1. Go to college
    2. Get a degree in business, finance, or accounting
    3. Apply for a job that offers a good benefit package
    4. Put together a budget and live within your means
    5. See #’s 1-4
    6. Fish during the few hours you’re not working your @$$ off.

WW

Ding, ding, ding….reality check!
    Hope you didn’t think this was going to be easy.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Join the military and become a diesel mechanic. Do your time, learn, serve your country and get out and make $80,000 a year. You won’t be Bill Gates but you can live comfortably.

And chick’s dig the uniform! yay

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The flip-side is that starting a small business is not easy and being a “business owner” is not all its cracked up to be. If your goal is to be self-employed to choose your own schedule, forget about it. You will work twice as hard and net half as much.

Simply is not true. Agreed its a huge PIA in the beginning, but it pays off eventually if you go about things the right way.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Simply is not true. Agreed its a huge PIA in the beginning, but it pays off eventually if you go about things the right way.

As a small business owner for more than 10 years, I believe both views are correct and do not conflict. The successful my business became, the less I was involved with the product of my business. I was overwhelmed with HR, Accounting and hiring and was less involved with the day to day work. I didn’t really care for this new role. Sold the business eventually and started contracting as a consultant. Much less hassle, more money in my pocket, less issues with employees and contractors letting me down, etc…

Going about things the “right way” is only half the battle. And it presumes you have a salable product/service in the first place that will take you to where you want to go. You just GOTTA have something that a LOT of people want and need. Then, you gotta master marketing and sales to get the deal in the house. Then you need reliable workers that will likely only have loyalty as long as you pay top dollar.

Joel is correct, there are a lot of variables you cannot control or that may not be suited to what you want out of your job. I think if a guy wants to run a business, he needs to first understand it is a business with all the complications of mastering those elements. Simply having a skill or product and wanting to sell it is not enough. Eventually, you will work yourself out of the product and service and be left with paperwork, meetings, marketing, strategy, accounting, and HR crap.

As with any rule, there are exceptions.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I will admit that I am jealous of my friends that are teachers… pretty easy to fish whenever you want for 3 months of the year. But it is also pretty difficult for them to fish outside of the weekends for the remainder of the year. And the small number of vacation days they get also make it nearly impossible to take a day off during the year.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

If I were young and starting over I’d start a driving school. I’d get in with as many high schools as possible. It’s pretty much recession proof, i say pretty much because 100% doesn’t exist. I think it’d be pretty close though. I truly think with a solid plan it could be very lucrative. How many kids turn 15 in the twin cities every year? What’s it cost these days? $400-500?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ok guys I’m in the Outdoor technology and small engine repair.Which is now not offered do to the lack of interest according to my professor.This is also due to the diesel program I heard.

Don’t confuse “student interest in” with “market demand for the skills”. I can absolutely assure you that there has been no decline in the demand for certified diesel mechanics! Nor will there be in the next 100 years.

The very reason that many of the skilled trades are much in demand is that lack of kids who have been interested in and given the opportunity to pursue these trades.

Here’s the thing: Keep your eye on the goal, do NOT get distracted by what’s happening today or this week.

If you want to be a mechanic, keep on keeping on. Get what you can out of your current school while you find out their future direction on the program. If they cancel it, plan a course to transfer to a school that does offer it and start looking a maximizing the transferability of your credits.

I can absolutely assure you that there WILL be other schools who have small engine and diesel programs. If you want it, they will be there, so just stay in the game and keep moving in that direction.

BTW, just a short story about a much younger cousin of mine. He was trained as a diesel mechanic in the Navy and then used some of his “GI Bill” type money to get through one of the big certification programs. Last year he was having to make a decision about re-enlistment so he decided to check out the market by going to a few job fairs. Long story short, a fight almost broke out between two rival trucking companies as he approached their booths. We saw him first. No we say him first…

Needless to say there was significantly more demand than he knew and he ended up signing as a technician with a chain of truck dealers for a large signing bonus and a salary that more than doubled his Navy salary plus bonuses plus full benefits plus company-provided pickup truck. Sensing that somehow they might lose him, the dealership called him after the offer letter was sent and said, hey, we’ll also throw in $4k in moving expenses, just to sweeten the pot.

Choose wisely and the demand will be there.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

See there. I would seriously consider the Navy.
    No student loans
    You come out with experience and veteran’s benefits for the rest of your life. VA home loan with no down payment.
    I haven’t met you but this could be a good fit for you Gabe.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

^^^^
    Something to seriously consider. Seriously. wave

David Blais

Go work for someone, no student loans, they’ll teach you the secret of trade. You may not make much till you catch on. If u work hard, show up on time and don’t have a sense of entitlement, you’ll do good. Those who can do, those who can’t teach

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

and don’t have a sense of entitlement,

Hmmm…is that possible for a lad that grew up in public schools and during the boom of labor/teacher unions?

OK, NOW this thread is officially hijacked.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Forget college it’s way overated. Sweet talk Deb into becoming her pimp. cool

David Blais

JD
    My point exactly. Having a good attitude and aptitude, will take you places.

munchy
    NULL

Forget college it’s way overated cool

Unfortunately most above average jobs require one now unless you already have many years experience.

My employer just made the decision, and announced it, that you cannot work up into a management position unless you have atleast a 4 year degree. That doesn’t really motivate a guy to stick with the company anymore.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There are A LOT of small business owners who could use a few courses in project management. So much an education can do for a business beyond knowing the trade at hand.

Years of experience aren’t worth as much anymore. A lot of people now have years of experience and a degree.

Internships are priceless.
    Start that right now! I had 3 years engineering experience before I graduated. That’s huge when you hit the market with a degree. Huge knowledge that helps with private business too.

I always say pay me now or pay me later… Education is never cheap

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

It all comes back to aptitude. How you present yourself to a potential Bossman/lady.

Let’s be honest they hand out degrees nowadays like hotcakes. Sign up for classes, half of them online, tests are open book, or online with open book/notes, students pretending to be professors, etc. etc. I’ve been to a few of these grad ceremonies and I can write better speaches half a case in.

Not to take anything away from the work put into one, but the question to the OP Gabe, is what are you going to do above and beyond everyone else in your class to excel, how are you different? It sucks cow sack but just BC you have a shiny piece of paper from 2-4 yrs of college, sorry I meant debt city, doesn’t mean you’ve succeeded. I know LOTS of people who have that piece of paper and well lets say they won’t be taking time off to fish tourneys anytime soon.

You have lofty goals, then you need to set your own personal bar higher as well. Failed your first quiz? Unacceptable! Find out why you failed, how you can improve and what resources are available around you to make sure that doesn’t happen again. School doesn’t have your program you want that is on your path to success, move on! even if its out of state, or away from family/friends/Debbie lol

They say take life by the horns, I say shoot the freakin bull, rip off its horns, throw it on the front of your truck and drive through life in 4×4. Get er done!!! peace

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.