Helix 8 on ice trouble ?

• Ryan Walsh

Iam having trouble getting any sort of reading of depth or the graph working on my unit in ice mode or not I have an ice ducer xi91521 attached to my helix 8 gn3 works great in the boat connected to transducer for open water but I built a bag fixed up a power wire to run it on ice with 12v 9ah battery. Basically all the unit is good for right now is the map IAM very disgruntled and have messed with tons of the setting trying to get this thing to read with zero luck everything is up to date. Wondering if I have something wrong or missing something? Any ideas or help is much appreciated thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    1. 16109399319455221506805790679938.jpg

Ripjiggen

May be a dumb question but have you adjusted your depth reading so it’s reading deep enough?
    Otherwise I’m stumped.

Ryan Walsh

Yes I even shorten the max to 30 ft to see if it would bring it closer into range for most the water I would be fishing ? I’ve even brought it up or down to exactly the water depth I was fishing an still cannot get a reading ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You can hear the transducer clicking?

Ryan Walsh

No I seem to get no noise from it ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You should hear the transducer clicking.

Verify the transducer is plugged in to the head unit correctly.

Next, Double click menu and under the sonar tab what transducer do you have selected?

Ryan Walsh

Everything looks right ? Are you telling me this brand new transducer well I bought it last season tried dealing with this from late Feb on is probably no good?

Attachments:
    1. 16109753615133353246706792764528.jpg

Ryan Walsh

It is a tad weird to me that this ducer only has two prongs compared to the seven where it plugs in??

Attachments:
    1. 16109756290711788105927657331478.jpg

Carl

Sonar turned on ?

djshannon
    Crosslake

Have you tries different frequency ranges?

From Humminbird

Compatible with all ICE HELIX G2/G2N models and newer, as well as HELIX 5/7/8/9/10 G2/G2N and newer models utilizing Ice Fishing mode.
    Cable Length: 8 Feet
    Not compatible with non-CHIRP ICE models.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Everything looks right ? Are you telling me this brand new transducer well I bought it last season tried dealing with this from late Feb on is probably no good?

I’m not telling you anything definitively. Just trying to help you troubleshoot. Do you have sonar turned on or off?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

With the unit on, hit the power button once. Does it say sonar “on” or “off”?

Ryan Walsh

I have messed with sonar on/off plenty of times and also frequencies a bit although that is something I do not know enough about so I’m really not sure which one I need to be on? Sorry james I do not want to seem to come off bold you guys have already been Soo great in helping! I knew this forum might be a great place to give this thing a once over again . I have tried to contact hummingbird from there app and tried to call but have run into dead ends they haven’t called me back on my help request and could not get through several time due to call volumes when I’ve had a bit on time the ice to try an diagnose it?

Ryan Walsh

Sonar saying on or off I still get no noise anyone know what frequencies should work best ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sonar saying on or off I still get no noise anyone know what frequencies should work best ?

Selecting a frequency is not your issue. All frequencies work well enough to get a good bottom reading. It would seem you have something else to sort out.

Ryan Walsh

Dang! Well when I first started to try and set this puppy up for the ice I went to the local fishing shop and a kid sold me a transducer that also did not work very well after about a day I realized I maybe did not have the right one so I returned it for this one. Since I have done a bit of reading and I believe this unit will read with maybe two different ice transducers ? Maybe I am wrong? But I believe this is my best option for my unit but maybe it’s a dud? This thing is great in my boat except side imaging gets blocked out a bit to the left of my boat being it’s mounted on the far right and I have a deep hull ? Iam just stumped.

Wildlifeguy

Sounds like a bad transducer, I have an 8 and none of the issues you’re having. One thing I did note when I first got the ice kit set up and running, it put me in simulation mode by default for some reason. Had to make sure and reset it a couple times and then it quit doing it. I’m sure you’ve checked that, but wanted to make sure to at least share the experience just in case.

Ryan Walsh

Yes I also got to battle with that tricky little bugger to figure out first time but at least in simulation it feels like it’s doing its job! right now all I get is zeros and black screens ?

reddog

If you’re not hearing any clicking out of the transducer it’s either bad or You have a setting off.

To be in ice mode, your screen/ menu needs to be on open water. I don’t know if that’s been said yet.

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpeg

Ryan Walsh

yes i do know this as well, it is my understanding that this these units can be run in either mode open water/ice with the ice transducer when running the graph and not looking to use the flasher screen. I may be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere? I think today after work I will buy another transducer if i can find one just to rule it out!

fishspike

I have a Helix 7 With kinda the same issue. Worked great on first spot we moved and now I can’t get rid of the white and unit is unusable. I sat next to another Helix 7 and they had no problem. I am thinking ducer. Any advice would be great.

Attachments:
    1. 0BE151A6-0715-42BF-8B4B-2876A9E95ABE.jpeg

2. 58941A25-D014-461B-A565-15CCE9B9FB47.jpeg

timothy klotz

I have a helix7g2n, and the transducer doesn’t ping out of water it’s a buzz. Works fine in water. Did you try a default restore in the setting screen. Sometimes it needs to be done. Worth a shot

timothy klotz

Fish spike, your cone angle is 60 degrees which isn’t even possible.you footprint is bigger than your depth. I’d also try a reset. Worth a shot

Adam Steffes

I had a helix 10 that wouldn’t recognize any transducers. Had to go back to the mothership. I plugged it in to several known working transducers to prove it was the head unit. Does it work with any other transducers?

fishspike

Thanks. I feel bad I hijaced this thread. I should of started another. Here is what I did and will find out tomorrow if fixed

Went to factory defaults and reset again(3rd)
    Went to website and downloaded latest software update
    Installed update and the unit appears to being acting normal
    Will test tomorrow and update you all

Thanks again for advice and sorry about the hijack

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.