Helix 7

• Ice Junkie715

I’m wondering if anyone has used the helix 7 yet on hard water or has any ideas for a case?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have mine mounted to the Grizzly. The one thing that drives me crazy is if you do not use the transducer, you have to go thru all the promps to get to the screen you use.
    You would think they would have come up with some type of bypass for that.

munchy
    NULL

I have mine mounted to the Grizzly. The one thing that drives me crazy is if you do not use the transducer, you have to go thru all the promps to get to the screen you use.

What do you mean? I have my Helix 5 mounted on the CanAm and don’t seem to have this issue.

barrelslime
    Illinois

I’d like to know if the 7 has zoom in flasher mode

Justin Radel

Was in scheels yesterday and they had a helix 7 mounted in a soft case.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Munchy,
    I only use my 7 for GPS/contours only. It was driving me nuts when every time I turned it on it went into simulator mode and if I didn’t click to normal mode right away it would stay on simulator mode and then I would need to shut it off and restart.
    I called the CS and they said if a transducer is not attached, the unit will automatically start in simulator mode.

schoff
    S.E., SD

Munchy,
    I only use my 7 for GPS/contours only. It was driving me nuts when every time I turned it on it went into simulator mode and if I didn’t click to normal mode right away it would stay on simulator mode and then I would need to shut it off and restart.
    I called the CS and they said if a transducer is not attached, the unit will automatically start in simulator mode.

If you go into advanced mode you can shut off demonstration mode and it will no longer do that without the transducer attached. I have done this with a Helix 5 and it worked so it should work on your Helix 7 also.

munchy
    NULL

^^^ That is what I do as well.

May need to update the unit first however.

bee
    Maine

Used mine all last winter. Once dialed in it was NICE. I made up a case from a kitty litter container. I asked Humminbird today if they sell just the case for the 7 and was told no. I replied that they need to get in gear and do it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If that works I’m buying you guys a beer! toast

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have the Helix 5 Si and this will be first ice season i have a chance to use it. I also have a vex fl-20. Have you had issues fishing next to others and also how does the unit run on regular ice fishing battery do you get a full day out of it. I am looking forward to having the gps and lake map on the ice this year. Also do you use special settings or standard? Lastly I can get any hummingbird ice ducer for this or do I need a special helix transducer.

Thanks in advance.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I have the Helix 5 Si and this will be first ice season i have a chance to use it. I also have a vex fl-20. Have you had issues fishing next to others and also how does the unit run on regular ice fishing battery do you get a full day out of it. I am looking forward to having the gps and lake map on the ice this year. Also do you use special settings or standard? Lastly I can get any hummingbird ice ducer for this or do I need a special helix transducer.

Thanks in advance.

Humminbird Helix 5 ICE (search for this thread in this forum)

This previous thread will answer most if not all of your questions. I do get a full day easy on the ice and all you will need is a XI 9 20 Ice Ducer to get it to work.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I have used the Clam Genz Blue Box as a case for a Helix 5, I am sure it would also work for a Helix 7. I also noticed on Marine General’s website they now sell the Helix 7 in the Humminbird portable pack for ice fishing this year. I am not sure if it is redesigned to fit the larger screen over the 5 but they show it as an option?

Zack Busse

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

What do you mean? I have my Helix 5 mounted on the CanAm and don’t seem to have this issue.

For those of you who have the Helix mounted to an atv or snowmobile.. What power cord are you using? Are you plugged into the cig lighter adapter or straight to the battery? I ordered a cord from Humminbird CS and I believe they sent me the wrong one. Ideally. I’d like to plug right into my new Polaris cig lighter deal. Thoughts??
    Thanks,
    Zack

Zack Busse

For those of you that mounted the helix to your wheeler.. @munchy @eelpoutguy, what are you using for power? I called humminbird and had them sent out what i thought was going to be a cig lighter capable cord and it does’t look right.. I have a new Polaris and I guess it may have some quick power connects under the storage compartment. I’d prefer not to wire it directly to my battery if I can get around it.

munchy
    NULL

I purchased an extra power cable and a cigarette lighter adaptor plug, and wired them together. I did plug it into the stock cigarette lighter outlet, but got tired of having to restart the unit every time I wanted to move. The startup sequence of these units is excruciatingly long!! So I installed a cigarette plug under the seat and wired it directly to the battery with fuse.

If you go this route just make sure you have the correct polarity in all connections as hooking it up backwards may fry the unit. I’m unsure if there is an internal protection diode on these units.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Zack, I posted on this last year but can’t find it anywhere.
    I was told that there is not such a adaptor. I could not bring myself to live with that answer so I called down to the factory and spoke with a very knowledgeable CS rep.(sorry I can’t remember his name) Long story short is they do have a factory supplied adaptor for use with a cig lighter.
    Before you ask how much, I can’t remember but it wasn’t a budget breaker.

Zack Busse

Thank you, just saw that my posts did however post.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.