Helix 7 amp draw

• guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

What is the amp draw for the Helix 7 with and without the backlight on, and does GPS mapping function add to the draw like the backlight does?

Karry Kyllo

You could hook it up to a meter and check draw at various settings.

Gunflint Trail

Backlight is far more power hungry than GPS. The problem is that default is 100% brightness and you have to remember to tone it down every time you turn it on or it will suck the juice.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Thanks for the input.
    bestfishes – jim

hntfshtrp

The Helix 7 draws about 800 ma at 10, full brightness. The draw deceases with the brightness level, at a brightness level of 5 the draw is about 400 ma, so the battery should last about twice as long at 5 compared to 10. The current draw in Standby mode is about 300 ma so not much savings there.
    So with all this said the math comes out this way, 800 ma is .8A therefore an 8 AH battery “should” last, 8 AH/.8 A = 10 hours, this is of course in a perfect world and we all know things don’t always work perfectly. So my best guess is a new, warm, 8AH battery will power the unit about 6 or 7 hours at a brightness of 10 and maybe up to 12 or 14 hours at a brightness of 5.
    I’m certainly interested in any actual real world results.
    That’s enough thinking for today lets go fishing!

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

The Helix 7 draws about 800 ma at 10, full brightness. The draw deceases with the brightness level, at a brightness level of 5 the draw is about 400 ma, so the battery should last about twice as long at 5 compared to 10. The current draw in Standby mode is about 300 ma so not much savings there.
    So with all this said the math comes out this way, 800 ma is .8A therefore an 8 AH battery “should” last, 8 AH/.8 A = 10 hours, this is of course in a perfect world and we all know things don’t always work perfectly. So my best guess is a new, warm, 8AH battery will power the unit about 6 or 7 hours at a brightness of 10 and maybe up to 12 or 14 hours at a brightness of 5.
    I’m certainly interested in any actual real world results.
    That’s enough thinking for today lets go fishing!

Douglas is exactly right on the draw.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Won’t the 10 volt limit (or whatever it is) for a automated shutdown come into play before the amp draw down is an issue? I’m just tinking out loud here sa I don’t know.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

-30% capacity for temperature
    ah rating is to 12.something volts not 0 volts so the 10v limit would not be in play

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.