Heggies is Frozen Pizza Champ

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

They have a bracket but I couldn’t figure out how to post it.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Not according to stupid BarStools…way disappointed in his rating. Someone should punch him in the face LOL

Reef W

Sven & Ole’s are the ones from Zup’s aren’t they? I think that is what the Knotted Pine has in Isabella and they are amazing. That could just be because I’ve been out walking all day before having one though…

Deuces

Link doesn’t work for me, need subscription.

Being a dad who cooks often in the house im well versed in the fine taste of frozen pizzas.

We are big fans of bellatorias. Any flavor really. Even the kids enjoy the mushroom spinach. I’m fan of supreme or sausage Italia.

California kitchen BBQ chicken is always really good but only buy that when on sale.

It’s not frozen but we are all suckers for the original make your own pizza kit as well with the fried up hamburger over the top. So good!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I personally cant stand heggies. way too salty and the ingredients taste bad. Lotza Motza is the best hands down but i ate so many i cant hardly eat them anymore. Switched to Jacks for the time being. Belatoria and Red Barons are alright too

Coletrain27

I like lotza motza also. They have sales on them at holiday gas stations pretty often

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I like the Lotza Motza and every Heggies I’ve ever had. The only type of frozen pizza I really try to steer away from is Tombstone. A lot of those Roma x10 for $10 pizzas were consumed after 2am in college toast

mojo

I’m not a fan of Heggies myself. I had heard about them being so good, so when I got the opportunity to order some as part of a fundraiser for a family friends’ sports team, I ordered 10 of them. I ate two – second one was just to be sure the first one wasn’t just a fluke, nope, it wasn’t. I gave 4 to my brother, and 4 remain in my freezer. At least the kids sports got some support from it.
    I prefer Tombstone for frozen pizza, but I will have to try Lotza Mozza.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d give Heggie’s an “It’s ok” for a frozen pizza rating. Seems they were better years ago before you could get them in the Twin Cities area. Stick with the one topping of either a sausage or pepperoni.

I kinda hate to give out this frozen pizza tip because they are so good, but here goes. There is a mom and pop shop here on the east side of St Paul called Morelli’s Market. They kick out the best hand made frozen pizza in town. Best crust, best sauce, best cheese! Hard to find the trifecta in a frozen pizza, but these guys do it.

Bring cash! No checks or CC cards here.

-J.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

There is a mom and pop shop here on the east side of St Paul called Morelli’s Market.

Can’t beat their prices on beer, wine or booze.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I like lotza motza also. They have sales on them at holiday gas stations pretty often

yep. lotzza mottza is on the top of my list next is the tombstone. heggies is also good.

nowadays its hard to tell who makes what for pizza’s. as beads stated we really like the make your own pizza outta the box!!!

i’d rather eat the cardboard then a jacks or some of the other frozen pizza’s out there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Love Morelli’s waytogo

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Lottza mottza for us. The smaller size is always available in our freezer.
    Doctor them up and enjoy.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I personally cant stand heggies. way too salty…

THANK YOU!!! Finally, I have confirmation that it’s not just me!

I can’t eat even a slice of Heggies crapola because of the absolutely massive amount of salt/sodium in these things. It’s basically a slice of instant, sodium-induced high blood pressure.

Why’s it gotta be this way? Why in the hell would you need to add 950 to a whopping 1200 MG PER SLICE of sodium to a FROZEN pizza? Yes, that is correct. 950 to 1200 MG for every slice. That’s about 50% of your recommended daily sodium intake for each slice.

Get this, guys. If Heggies pizza started with no sodium whatsoever, to get it up to the 1200 MG per slice that the Deluxe contains, you’d have to sprinkle a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of Morton’s table salt over EACH SLICE to get it up to 1200 MG. There’s basically a whole salt shaker worth of Morton’s table salt on every pizza.

My goal in life is to live well beyond 65, but man I can’t see how anyone even makes it that far with the high sodium food that’s absolutely everywhere these days. And for no reason that I can figure out.

It’s not just Heggies, almost every frozen pizza has out of control sodium amounts. I make all our own pizzas now.

Grouse

BigWerm
    SW Metro

t’s not just Heggies, almost every frozen pizza has out of control sodium amounts. I make all our own pizzas now.

Agreed. I like Heggies and Lotzza Motzza the best, but either one requires gallons of water after to flush all that salt out. I prefer Papa Murphy’s or making my own if at all possible.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I prefer Papa Murphy’s…

Dump the Papa Murphy’s too, if you want to live anyway. They are better than Heggies, but they are the salt king of take and bake. On average, you’re getting over 1/4 teaspoon of salt in every slice of Pappa’s. Yuck. 2 slices and you’re way over your recommended salt intake for the entire day.

That sh!t’ll kill ya.

Grouse

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s not just Heggies, almost every frozen pizza has out of control sodium amounts. I make all our own pizzas now.

Frozen food in general is loaded with salt. That’s how they preserve it since it is intended to be stored longer and then consumed later.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Papa murphy’s would be a really good pizza iffin they wouldn’t be so dang cheap with there sauce!!!!!!

shockers
    Rochester

Pizza Corner. Not as good as they once were since being bought out.

But still pretty darn good.

Brad Dimond

Strong agreement on make your own pizza. I get three crusts out of one batch of dough, two pizza’s worth of sauce out a batch. Both freeze well and are available with a little foresight – throw in the fridge the day before you make it. We keep fresh mozzarella, vegetables and olives in the fridge at all times. If you leave out the olives, use no salt added tomato sauce and paste the pizza is very tasty without being too salty.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I prefer Papa Murphy’s…

Dump the Papa Murphy’s too, if you want to live anyway. They are better than Heggies, but they are the salt king of take and bake. On average, you’re getting over 1/4 teaspoon of salt in every slice of Pappa’s. Yuck. 2 slices and you’re way over your recommended salt intake for the entire day.

That sh!t’ll kill ya.

Grouse

It’s PIZZA! Now ones eating it cause it’s health.

rmartin
    United States

Home Run Inn is pretty good. Loaded with toppings, a large meat lovers weighs 32oz.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

You can’t neglect the drunk factor when rating frozen pizza… Any brand tastes good at closing time. Hell some nights I would probably eat a Totino’s Party Pizza if someone fed it to me.. if they told me it was a Heggies!

The Pessimist

One thing I learned years ago about frozen pizza is the method used to cook it. I purchased a pizza oven – stainless steel type that are found in bars. When I make a Heggie’s in the pizza oven it tastes great. In my kitchen oven – not so great. It really makes a difference in getting the crust and cheese done perfectly.

Another pie not listed and not included in the bracket is 7th Ave. Solid frozen pizza that reminds me of going to the original Red Savoy in St. Paul.

Ice Cap

Kettle River pizza is a good frozen pizza. Don’t think they distribute to the metro area but you can get them up here. Heggies isn’t bad. Lottsa Mozza’s are good and so is Brew Pub. When I was still working in our distribution business I knew all the guys who distributed frozen pizza’s so we would swap products out of the back of our trucks.

Walked into our local Holiday gas store last week and I know the manager there. She got a over delivery of Lottsa Motzza’s and was blowing them out at $5 ea. I bought 10. I’m not real big on pizza but we like to have them around. I have a pizza oven in the garage. When we have friends over that’s where we gather. nice to throw a pizza in the oven while having a few beers with the boys.

munchy
    NULL

If you’re ever in the Savage area try Woodland Pizza. They are take n bake but their ingredients are top notch. Some of the pizza combinations they have there are incredible.

Mwhiterabbit
    Andover, MN

I don’t know how well anyone follows the frozen pizza game but in 2013 there was an explosion of frozen pizza providers on the shelves because of my old company’s actions. What happened was they acquired one of the largest frozen pizza plants in the US then promptly fired everyone and tried to hire them back at lower pay. For some reason this resulted in extremely high turnover followed even more turnover. By the time they recovered a few years later the clientele was different.

Anyways the pizza I recommend is Costco either frozen or baked. I saw the dough being made and still eat it which is semi-rare.

Also one of the reasons the sodium content is so high is because people love salty bread. Without salt the crust is bland and flavorless. It’s cheaper to add more salt to the dough than increase costs on the sauce ingredients or better meat. To get it down I suggest make your own dough and sausage while using low sodium cheese.

Brad Dimond

Add dried onion, basil and/or oregano to the dough when you make crust. You then don’t need much more than a pinch of salt in the dough.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.