HDS Touch's for Sale – What's the issue with them?

• folke2000

I’ve been noticing a lot of HDS Touch electronics for sale across multiple sale sites and forums. What’s the issue that everyone seems to be getting rid of them (if any issue at all)?

Curiosity more than anything…..

folke

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Are you referring to the Gen 2 or Gen 3 touches?

Lowrance released an update that allows “fish reveal”. It really makes the fish pop on the screen when in down scan mode. Gen 2’s are not compatible with this update. Carbon and Gen3 units are compatible. If you can get a good deal on a Gen3 snap it up.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I won’t buy them for 1 reason. No buttons.

CaptainMusky

The Gen3 units are going for a steal right now because the Carbons are out is why you see Gen2 Touch units for sale everywhere.

I have one of the Gen2 touch units and it has performed wonderfully. I don’t have any issues without having buttons on it.

having said that, I just purchased a Gen3 Touch unit and its my goto. They are faster in processing plus the GPS has a faster refresh rate than the Gen2, but having the buttons is a definite plus.
    I find myself staying about 1 generation behind. I upgrade a unit about every year or two and then sell the oldest model I have. I run 3 HDS units in my boat.
    The oldest is a 1st generation HDS 7. Its been flawless since I have owned it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I won’t buy them for 1 reason. No buttons.

Gen2’s didn’t have buttons but the Gen3’s have buttons you can use either the buttons or touch…

Attachments:
    1. Gen3.png

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They have buttons you can use either the buttons or touch…

What Joe said.

GPS navigation is very important to me over fish id. The Gen 3’s are fast in redrawing over the two’s. If that’s important to you.

I didn’t think I would like the “touch” feature. Now I use it all the time.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve used the new units from both Humminbirds and Lowrance. They both have great features.

Humminbirds Strengths
    Clearer Side imaging

Lowrance Strengths
    Way better 2D and down imaging “fish reveal”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll go the other way. I have a bird in the Skeeter and wish I would of stayed with Lowrance. But that’s why I put a bird in the Skeeter.

I think the difference between you an I Joe is that we fish for different fish and I’m on the river…you a lake.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Gen 2s were the only ones actually called “touch”. Yes Gen 3s have buttons and I personally would never buy a unit without them.

Touchscreen is great until you have to wear gloves or have wet hands. God forbid you ever have wet hands in a boat.

I own the old 2s and wish I had some of the functionality of the 3s and carbon. I agree with the 2d sonar. I get tons of compliments on how well my 2d sonar marks fish and structure. Pretty easy to determine what you are looking at.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Also note that all support for the gen 2s ended a year or two ago. No further firmware improvements for them.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ll go the other way. I have a bird in the Skeeter and wish I would of stayed with Lowrance. But that’s why I put a bird in the Skeeter.

I don’t follow what you’re saying…

Go other way on what? I have both brands

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I agree with the 2d sonar. I get tons of compliments on how well my 2d sonar marks fish and structure.

Gill you have to see the “fish reveal” update for the gen3 units.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I had the gen 2 touch on my previous boat, loved the 2d but did not care for the side imaging which is what I use the most.

Having said that the reason I switched back to bird was to link to the new Ulterra. I wonder how many guys are doing the same?

I loved the Xi5, but the auto deploy/stow with a tight anchor lock was enough to get me to switch.

CaptainMusky

I loved the Xi5, but the auto deploy/stow with a tight anchor lock was enough to get me to switch.

If you didn’t have a tight anchor lock on an xi5 there must have been something wrong. I don’t have the appeal of having an auto stow/deploy.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Speers wrote:</div>

If you didn’t have a tight anchor lock on an xi5 there must have been something wrong. I don’t have the appeal of having an auto stow/deploy.

I did have a tight anchor lock on the xi5, I just think Minnkota has built a better motor now that makes my time on the water more enjoyable. When Motorguide comes out with an auto deploy/stow motor and something else that I can’t even imagine right now, then I will take a look at that as well.

The point to all my rambling was meant to be that in my situation I selected my electronics based on which trolling motor I wanted. Maybe enough guys are switching over to Ulterra and birds that it has created a surplus of touch units. I have nothing to back that up, just a thought that crossed my mind.

ted-merdan

Upgraded to a pair of carbon 9’s and stepped back to 2 units 8n the boat vs 3. Like to keep somewhat current…

Jonesy

I’ve used the new units from both Humminbirds and Lowrance. They both have great features.

Humminbirds Strengths
    Clearer Side imaging

Lowrance Strengths
    Way better 2D and down imaging “fish reveal”

Lowrance also has touch screen on their affordable units (Elite TI on up). Humminbird is only on the solix and not the helix series. I think the touchscreen is a major factor for most people. Much more user friendly, easier to navigate menus, name waypoints, etc.

CaptainMusky

I did have a tight anchor lock on the xi5, I just think Minnkota has built a better motor now that makes my time on the water more enjoyable. When Motorguide comes out with an auto deploy/stow motor and something else that I can’t even imagine right now, then I will take a look at that as well.

Gotcha. The auto deploy in appearance looks like a nice feature, but we will see how that holds up over time. I don’t have issues deploying my TM by myself, saves me hundreds of dollars and the potential headache of it not functioning which MinnKota has had issues with deploying motors like the Vantage and whatever the Genesis in years past. Has me leery.
    The xi5 is far quieter and has a much lower AMP draw than an equivalent MinnKota. Those were big plusses for me. Longer time on the water when you use less juice.

nu98walleye

Definitely has to do with more people up grading. Very good prices out there on new & used Gen3 units. I have the original Gen2 units and they still work great. If your looking for a depth finder and dont have a high budget dont be scared away from used Gen2 units.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.