Humminbird Switchfire: Max vs. Clear

• jhalfen

While fishing in Iowa this weekend, I had a chance to spend some time working with the Switchfire 2D sonar function of my Humminbird 1197. I’ll have a complete write-up soon, but for now, I wanted to share some observations about when a user should use the Clear mode, and when the Max mode is more appropriate.

First, here’s a great illustration of the power of Max mode. This particular area was a relatively calm, mid-depth flat (10-12 feet deep) that we were working for walleye and white bass. The first sonar image is in Clear mode. Note that a few fish are apparent, but that the image is perhaps a bit too “perfect”. Clear mode eliminates surface clutter and displays only the strongest returns.

The second image is the same area in Max mode. Note that we see considerably more information displayed: surface clutter is apparent, and the number of displayed fish returns is significantly increased.

In this area, Max mode was the winner: it gives the user a much more complete picture of what’s beneath the boat. However, as you’ll see in just a moment, there are some obvious applications for Clear mode as well.

jhalfen

Next, we see some sonar images from a wind-swept, shallow flat that was 7-8 feet deep. Waves had been pounding this area for several days, and the water was really stirred up.

The first screen capture shows a split screen view of Down Imaging (on the right) and 2D on the left, with 2D set to Max mode. Note that the turbulence in the water (bubbles and small organic debris) is apparent in Down Imaging, and with Switchfire-2D set to Max, the 2D image is just about completely saturated with sonar returns. Not particularly useful, in my opinion.

However, Clear mode makes short work of this situation. The second image shows same area in a DI/2d sonar split view, with the 2D sonar set to Clear mode. Clear mode does a great job of eliminating the vast majority of the clutter caused by bubbles and suspended organic matter, and gives the user a very usable 2D sonar image (note that DI appears the same in both screen captures: all that stuff is still there in the water column, but Clear mode filters the vast majority of it out).

(EDIT: the third pic shows this same flat earlier in the week, before the wind started to beat it up. Note that the 2D view (Clear mode) is completely clean, the DI view has no suspended matter, while the SI view shows the expansive nature of the flat and the fish that are using it. I count at least three if not 4 fish that are plainly visible in Side Imaging; note the bright white spots and their associated shadows)

jhalfen

Switchfire from Humminbird makes it possible for users to make the most of their 2D sonar under a wide variety of real-world fishing situations. For me, Max mode was the choice in slightly deeper water or in relatively calm water. Clear mode was the winner in shallow water or water that was stirred up by wind or current action.

For more ways to get the most out of your Humminbird fishing system, check out my (growing) library of instructional articles:

Humminbird instructional articles at Jason Halfen Outdoors

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Jason, Nice illustration! I haven’t had the time yet to load all my recent screen captures. But, another application for the clear mode is very turbulent water. It takes all the guess work out of identifying what your looking at.

kinny

Jason, did you have to adjust the sensitivity when switching from one mode to the other? In the small amount of time I’ve played around with this feature it seems that I would need to really turn the sensitivity down when going to max mode, or maybe I was just in areas where clear mode is the better choice.??

jhalfen

No change in sensitivity at all; just switched between Max and Clear Switchfire modes under the Sonar menu tab.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.