997 transducer question

• fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

I recently bought a new 997 and I am a little confused on where to put the transducer. Has anyone used or would recommend the dual/si thru-the-hull option? This would entail punching a hole through the bottom of the hull to mount it, but it also would allow for both high speed and si without any interfence. I do worry about debris and or possibly hitting something with it on the bottom of the boat.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

What make/model boat do you have. Some guys might be able to offer up some other options for you.

FDR

jhalfen

The high-speed option does not involve punching a hole in the hull. What you want to use is the puck that gets glued onto the interior of the hull for high-speed 2D readings. I believe the part number is XP 9 20, and it runs for $50-$60.

XP 9 20 info

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

I have a ranger reata 1850.

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

This is what the thru-the-hull option looks like.

jhalfen

Ok, now I think I see where you’re going.

Let me start by saying that a proper transom mount transducer install can provide you with SI performance on plane, at speeds of 20-30-40 mph.

Most guys that I know, and boats that I have helped rig, run a dual transducer system with the SI transducer mounted high on the transom (to protect it from debris, yet allow for normal SI operation at the typical 0-7 mph that provides clear side images) and the XP 9 20 glue-in puck for 2D, high-speed use.

I’m leery of the through hull ‘ducer you describe for one reason: if your placement isn’t 100% perfect, moving the transducer causes you to put another hole (and a decent sized hole, at that) in your hull and to go back and patch the first. What happens when that second placement stinks too??

Myself…I have one transducer, the normal SI transducer mounted in the typical spot on the transom. Works fine for everything I ask it to do.

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

Thanks for the info. I was a little leary of punching a hole through the bottom of my glass boat, so I think I will stick to the external ducer and maybe add the high speed shoot through the hull ducer as well.

RandyR

Jason, Would you mind posting a photo of your transducer. I plan on mounting one on my 2050 this spring.

thanks

jhalfen

Mine is mounted on the port side, set into a step in the transom.

RandyR

Thanks for the photo Jason.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.