Bird 1197or HD 8

• davey
    Itasca, Mn.

I know this may be a hot topic to ask about but I am thinking about replacing my old LCX15 and I would like pro’s and con’s about the new Bird’s 997 & 1197 and Lowrance HD units. Things like how the displays compare for definition, readability in bright light, user friendly controls, reliability and product support.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

ALL things considered, to me its not even close… Bird hands down at this point in time!

KirtH
    Lakeville

I would highly recomend Humminbird, with the latest software upgrades the units awesome. Tech support is awesome also

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just for a moment let’s forget about service. We know who the winner is there.

Has anyone ran both units?

My X-19 gps isn’t reliable enough to make it another year. It’s 4 years old…and that comes to about $450 per year. I know it’s a dinosaur in the electronics world, and I run it hard in every weather condition, except the winter when it’s under my pillow.

I just want to hear from someone that has used the HD 8 and on of the birds.

jhalfen

Brian, it’s impossible to take service out of the equation. These are complicated pieces of technology made by human hands….things can and do go wrong with them from time to time, and working with a company that is responsive to customer concerns and service issues is worth…a LOT. Service and support are integral to my purchasing decisions, especially for big ticket items like electronics.

I have run the HDS’s and Humminbirds….when I get a few moments later, I’ll add my thoughts to this thread.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have both the 1197, 37c and a 27c currently on my boat. Let me know if you want thoughts on this

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I own a HDS 8 & have been in a few boats that are running hummingbirds. The guy’s tell hands one is better is not being very objective, there are some major plus’s to both units. For hummingbird there sidescan has been released & is a unbelievable option, but there sonar is not as lowrances. I don’t know how you fish, but when you compare the power output of a hummingbird verus a lowrance you’ll see what I’m talking about. Lowrance has had issues with some of there first units, I havn’t had any of those issues but I didn’t buy mine tell August which allmost a year after the release. Cost wise the HDS-8 will be cheaper even after you add the structure & downscan that should be available in November. Lowrance just released a new software update this week, that fix’s alot of the problems people have been having & gives the software for structure scan. You really can’t go wrong with either unit they are both top of the line. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I’ve never owned an HB so I can’t help you with a comparison.

As far as the HDS vs. an LCX goes it’s

like going from digital to high definition TV. The

picture is that much clearer. It’s hard to go back

once you’ve spent a day with an HDS.

I’ve had mine since June and haven’t had one issue.

I like the fact that you can share sonar from unit to

unit(s) with the Lowrance Expansion Port-1 and that soon you will be able to

share SideScan, DownScan, and 2D sonar with the LSS-1

I can see equipping a search and resuce vessel with three

10″ HDS units, from bow to stern, networked with StructureScan.

Having 3 sets of eyes scanning instead of huddling around a single unit at the console will certainly not hinder a recovery effort.

Currently this is not an option with the HB line.

It will also be more enjoyable for your family and friends

to have their own screen to view instead of hovering over

your shoulder.

jhalfen

I’ve tried to write a reply to the original question twice now, and I’m having trouble preparing it in such a way that would avoid the typical “vexilar vs marcum” or “jiffy vs. strikemaster” rancor that we often see here and elsewhere.

Let me simply state that Humminbird has the only Side Imaging sonar system with YEARS of field-proven performance under its belt. While a comparable system is in the wings for the HDS units, the number of people here and elsewhere that have physically seen the Lowrance technology and used it on the water is very very limited. Time will tell how that technology performs.

One other key consideration, as I stated above, is reliability and service after the sale. This board and others are good places to see how Humminbird’s and Lowrance’s service departments handle and help their customers. The discussions in public forums speak for themselves, and need not be amplified here.

If you want to learn about how Humminbird’s industry-leading Side Imaging technology can change the way you fish, check out the series of instructional articles on my website:

Humminbird Instructional Articles at Jason Halfen Outdoors

If you have any other questions, feel free to send em a PM or an e-mail, and I’ll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

davey
    Itasca, Mn.

Thanks for the input Jason, I agree service is very important and Humminbird side scan has proven itself and with the 180* scan soon to come it is a very good choice. Can you say more about the quality of the image on the screen when the two are compared? Is one better than the other when it comes to separation of targets and are there differences in how well one displays fish compared to the other? Which one is the simplest to operate? If I’m going to put the investment into a new unit I just don’t want to make a choice I will not be happy with, they both strain the budget but if one is clearly better I’d rather spend the bucks and be happy.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have the 1157, the 2d version of the 1197, I have not had a chance to get it out since the new software upgrade with the new color palets. But I must say the target seperation is awsome. I was fishing Leech Lake this spring and I could easily see my weight and leech in 40′ of water while Live bait rigging. If you need to see more I dont know what to say, i could pick up fish laying tight to the bottom.

Now with a choice of 4 color palets I cant wait to test them out.

On the subject of tech support, I had an issue with my interlink box, I called HBird tech support, they picked up with in a minute, and 2 days later a new Interlink was on my door step.

You can easily see the display, i stand in the back of boat in the sun and I can see the 1157 which is mounted on the bow.

Menus are easy, like anything once you start using it the easier it becomes, if you used Lowrance like me, it is different but you easily figure out the Humminbird

2 thumbs up for the Humminbird

bthess
    Manly, IA

I to am in the market this winter/spring for a new depth finder. I am wondering if anyone has an estimated price for the 800 series humminbirds?? Any ideas’ what the lowrance HDS-8 will cost also? Just trying to compare apples to apples.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

Cost wise it is better to compare apples to apples an 8″ HDS 8 ($1699) with structure scan($599)is more costly than an 8″ 997c($1999). It will be cheaper than the 1197 but there is a difference between a 8″ display and a 10″ one. I have both on my boat and the HDS 8 still has a ways to go to see its full potential. There is no noticeable difference in the 2d sonar images when comparing the hds 8 and 997. Both show the same level of detail. The HDS does get closer to the advertised performace with each software fix, but when will they get it right. I like that Humminbird has enhanched the performance of my 997 and contiue to tweak every bit of performance out of it, not just try to correct problems. The switchfire mode is one such example and really makes a difference in the 2d sonar, but only how the user wants it to be.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have ran the 1197 for the last two years and absoluterly couldn’t be any happier with it. I don’t have the HD sysytem, but have fished in rigs that do. Each time we were fishing specific structure the HDS just didn’t show clear enough. I contribute a lot of the additional success i had this last year to the H-bird. I found things that everyone else over looked and caught additional fish that i otherwise would not have. 1197

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Will a HB’s regular sonar really help me catch more fish

than a Lowrance’s regular sonar?

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

My 2cents. Try before you buy. Plenty of people on here who could show you their units who have no reason to “pimp” their brand. I would give you the HB once over as I converted from Lowrance this past year, however the geographic location is not ideal. I spent the time doing the research on what was right for my applications and it was not an easy decision. At that time there was only a rumored down scan for Lowrance, so it would be even a harder choice now.

With that said, I am also contemplating adding another unit to my rig and it is not a Lowrance.

davey
    Itasca, Mn.

Thanks to all for the honest discussion about these units it is refreshing when folks share their experience and knowledge without entering into a bashing of one product or another .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

granddrifter

Before you plop down the big pile of dough to buy one of these units I’d recommend calling the tech support hotlines for Lowrance and Humminbird and ask the person that answers a couple questions about their respective units. These units are getting more expensive and I hope you don’t see any issues with any unit you purchase but issues do pop up from time to time.

Making those calls will let you know how responsive the support lines are and the quality of the training of the people on the other end. This will make a huge difference to your experience as an owner should you need prompt service. Knowing what to expect before you throw down a couple G’s seems like a good investment in time and energy to me.

jhalfen

Quote:

I to am in the market this winter/spring for a new depth finder. I am wondering if anyone has an estimated price for the 800 series humminbirds?? Any ideas’ what the lowrance HDS-8 will cost also? Just trying to compare apples to apples.

I see that the party has continued in my absence.

The 898 (Side Imaging) has an MSRP of $1499.

The 858 (no SI) has an MSRP of $999.

lineth

Jason, Since the new 898 and the 997 are in the same general price range which one has the most/best features— would it be better to wait awhile and get the 898 or get a 997 now– in your opinion? Thanks

jhalfen

It’s true that the 898 and the clearance 997s that a guy can find on the market now are in the same price range.

The 997 offers a larger screen, but will also have a slower processor than the 898 and will lack the video out and ethernet ports that the 898 will have. While many guys won’t use the video out port, the ethernet port is present for future connectivity/networking of equipment. If you want to tap into those connectivity/networking opportunities (if and when they become available), then the 898 is your unit of choice.

On the other hand, if you want a perfectly useful unit with a larger screen than the 898, and aren’t really concerned with what the future might bring, then why not snap up a clearance 997? The 998s will sport price tags that are ~ $500 more than the closeout 997s, and for a LOT of people, that path makes a lot of sense.

lineth

Thanks for all the good info. Do you know whether the new 898 transducer will require the drilling of new holes in the transom (when replacing a 797 transducer) or does the mount corespond to the holes from the older model transducers? Thanks if you can answer this

whittsend

Quote:

It’s true that the 898 and the clearance 997s that a guy can find on the market now are in the same price range.

The 997 offers a larger screen, but will also have a slower processor than the 898 and will lack the video out and ethernet ports that the 898 will have. While many guys won’t use the video out port, the ethernet port is present for future connectivity/networking of equipment. If you want to tap into those connectivity/networking opportunities (if and when they become available), then the 898 is your unit of choice.

On the other hand, if you want a perfectly useful unit with a larger screen than the 898, and aren’t really concerned with what the future might bring, then why not snap up a clearance 997? The 998s will sport price tags that are ~ $500 more than the closeout 997s, and for a LOT of people, that path makes a lot of sense.

Good points… I know some guys (I forget who, but I think there are a few on this forum) that have the 1197 and link the video out up to an even bigger monitor. If thats a future consideration (adding a monster monitor for better viewing or better views from a different boat position), that might be the route to go. Otherwise, I have been very happy with my 997.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

will lack the video out and ethernet ports that the 898 will have. While many guys won’t use the video out port, the ethernet port is present for future connectivity/networking of equipment.

Jason if i read your post correct the 997’s cannot be hooked into a network with additional HB units to share info?

jhalfen

No, the 997’s CAN be networked using the Interlink system. I ran my 997 interlinked to a 788 all summer. Works fine!

Any potential future networking capabilities that would make use of the Ethernet port would not be possible with the 997, as the 997 lacks that capability. The 1197, and the new 898 and 998 will all have ethernet ports.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks. I was on your website and read the article on networking and it explained it great!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.