Coming from Humminbird in ’10: 898-SI combo

• jhalfen

I just received my first packet of information on the new 800-series units to be offered by Humminbird in 2010. These are units that fall in-between the 900-series units and the 700-series units, in both size and price. Their screen is the same shape as the familiar 900-series screens, so if you’re looking for a less expensive way to access a large-screen Humminbird Side Imaging combo, this may be the way to do it.

There are two units in the 800 series: the 898c SI, side imaging sonar/GPS combo, and the 858c sonar/GPS combo that is not side-imaging equipped.

Some pertinent features for the new 898c SI combo include:

• Side Imaging™, Down Imaging™, and DualBeam PLUS™ Sonar for unmatched sonar performance.
    • Brilliant 480V x 800H, 7” diagonal color TFT display
    • New SwitchFire™ Sonar allows two ways to view returns – Clear or Max mode.
    • Three new color palettes for more viewing options
    • New Built-In Contour XD™ Cartography from Navionics® with 3,000 U.S. lakes
    • LakeMaster® compatible with exclusive features
    • Waypoint Management allows more control of your saved data.
    • 4000 Watts Peak-to-Peak, 500 Watts RMS power output
    • External 50 channel WAAS GPS receiver included
    • Tidal graphs and port services information available with optional Navionics® Charts
    • Sonar/chart recording to SD card and on-screen playback
    • Full screen chartplotter, 3D birds eye view chartplotter and split screen sonar/chart with adjustable split
    • Programmable view presets access important screens with one touch
    • In-dash or gimbal mount
    • Water surface temperature included in transducer, GPS speed Included
    • Optional LakeMaster®, Navionics® Gold, HotMaps, and HotMaps Premium, and Platinum+ cartography
    • SwitchFire™ Max Mode shows every sonar return from fish to zooplankton; Clear Mode reduces noise to show only structure & fish
    • Fresh and saltwater set up options for optimal performance in any environment
    • Accelerated Real Time Sonar™ operates at up to 40 times per second to instantly capture the action under the boat
    • X-press™ menus place most important setting at your fingertips
    • Freeze Frame pauses the sonar scroll for detailed inspection of the screen
    • Instant Image Update immediately shows the results of setting changes for the most accurate fine tuning
    • Sonar Echo Enhancement™ technology is so sensitive it’ll track a 1/2 oz. jig to over 40ft and separate targets within 2 ½ inches
    • Man Overboard Function quickly adjust the boat track back to a specific spot with the touch of a button
    • Fully gasketed waterproof design and it floats
    • Large Digital Data displayed on every sonar or GPS screen
    • Backlight for night viewing
    • TripLog with distance, elapsed time, and average speed
    • Totally automatic operation or totally manual operation with upper and lower range control
    • Temperature graph overlay and audible temperature alarm along with One-touch Zoom with 2x, 4x, 6x, and 8x zoom levels
    • Adjustable chart speed and feature memory retains your settings
    • Water surface temperature included in transducer, speed paddlewheel included
    • PC Connection capability to save waypoints, and upgrade internal software
    • Optional 200/50kHz transducer available for deep water applications and depths to 3000 feet

I will be adding an 898 to the bow of my boat, and I look forward to running it in the challenging conditions that Pool 4 dishes out this winter.

jhalfen

MSRP on the 898c SI combo is $1499
    MSRP on the 858c combo is $999

whittsend

same “HD” SI sonar as the 997 / 1197? If I recall the old 700 series had a lesser sonar??

jhalfen

Mike, I think that the answer to your question is: not exactly.

I say that by reference to the standard transducer for the 898c SI combo. That model number for that transducer is XNT-9-QB-90-T, shown in the first image below. That transducer is different than the Hi-def SI transducer used by the 997 (which will become the 998 next year) and the 1197: XHS-9-HDSI-180-T, shown in the second image.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Thanks Jason,,,,without pouring over the specs…can you tell me what I’m giving up with the 800 series in place of the 900?

KirtH
    Lakeville

WOW Switchfire wait till you see this!!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Down imaging looks to make traditional downlooking sonar obsolete, looks like a good move and a step ahead of lowrance–might be a bird on my boat yet.

reddog

“• Fully gasketed waterproof design and it floats”

Imagine that….. waterproof.

Floats is cool.

whittsend

Quote:

Down imaging looks to make traditional downlooking sonar obsolete

I thought SI already did that??

jhalfen

Update on the 898:

I just learned from the HB product manager that the information I received on the 898 was in error with respect to the transducer.

The 898 does ship with the standard-sized Hi-Def Side Imaging transducer, and uses the traditional array of SI frequencies (800, 455, 200, 83 KHz) used by the 1197 and the 900-series units (997 and 998).

lineth

Jason, I currently have two 797’s that share a transducer (with the switch on the consol). Will the newer 898 transducer work with my older 797— will I be able to share the 898 transducer ? Thanks for all the great info.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

Yes the 898 transducer will work with the 797. You will be able to share the 898 transducer with the switch the same way you are set up now. The different transducers have the same connector ends.

lineth

Thanks for answering these questions. I hope I have only one more. Will the 898 gps reciever work with the 797 unit (I currently use only one, the older 16 channel reciever that comes with the 797, shared via Interlink, with the bow and consol 797 units)ie. could I use the new 898 reciever for an 898 and 797 ? Thanks again as I plan on implementing this when the 898’s become available—would that be in January?

jhalfen

The 898s should ship with the AS GR50 receiver which, when run through your interlink system, won’t have any trouble with the 797.

My only recommendation is to ensure that your 797 is running the most recent software version when you make the switch. After that, you should be good to go. Remember, that’s a free download from the Humminbird website for registered owners/units.

Availability of the 800 series units is after the turn of the new year. I’m anxious to get mine as well (an 898 is replacing the 788 I ran on the bow this past season).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.