HB’s Faster new processors?

• mike ice

With all this talk about new faster processors in the new Birds I went looking to find out more info and can’t find any.
    Where is this info coming from, HB, stores, shows, reps, fisherman? How much faster are the new processors than the last years?
    I also noticed in my search that even though the price point came down that some features were also taken away. Guess the old saying still holds true “nothing is free”.
    Maybe buying last years model you might get more bang for his buck.

gordonk
    mpls

I need to pick up a new unit after someone stole my bow mounted unit last November. It looks more like they just have different units with different features. Just not the combo I want. It looks like I can get high def down imaging and GPS, and side finding or not. What I want is the down imaging and side finding, not the GPS, which I have on the console. Sigh.

The new units are cool and they are a few hundred bucks cheaper, but if you want the side imaging, you still pay for it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I look at it this way, think of an iPhone…sure last years model runs just fine on all the recent software updates, but the models from 3-4 years ago are starting to struggle to do basic tasks..

castle-rock-clown

I only partially agree with your I-phone analogy. With the I-phone you rely on outside networks that change therefore requiring updates that older models may struggle with. With the fish finders you are self contained within your own system. Sure there are updates, but none of them will miraculously turn your unit into a side imaging unit. Bottom line is buy the unit that delivers the performance you desire and if there are no adverse issues screw the updates and just go fishing. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Sometimes installing an update on an older unit can screw it up more than enhance it. Leave the Dam thing alone, put the boat in the water, turn it on, and get your line wet.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I only fractionally agree with your response to my iPhone analogy. Apple Operating System updates allow new enhancements to existing functionality for older devices, it will not magically make your iphone 4’s camera into an iphone 5, but it might add some new software features like the ability to crop,reduce red eye, etc. The cost of these new features is that they are most likely not optimized for your model device, therefor the performance might not be to your liking. Updates rarely if ever have anything to do with “outside network” updates. For Depthfinders like Humminbirds, their ability to navigate through the newer Map chips is mostly what the processing power is for…a 999 will move/zoom through the newer map chips alot faster than a 997 or even 998 will. The same will be said for the 999 in a few years…it’s a revolving door, new features, need more power..

If you don’t care about future compatibility with new mapping software and/or possible new technologies like iPilot Link (as an example), then your current Humminbird will work just fine for you and the processor speed won’t really matter.

mike ice

I hear what your saying about updates and software. With old devices they seem to get filled up with data and run slower too. I’d think if HB had new faster processors they’d be tooting they’re horn. I can’t seem to find any info or press releases from HB about this,just chatter on different forums on the internet.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

My 899 is on the way… if it works right, I won’t be plugging it in to the computer without really good reason. Don’t want to have to worry about saving way points, or dealing with any of the other un-knowns. I’ll be delighted if I can use a decent portion of the capabilities. I’m just excited to get it, and hope not to lose too much “fishing” time staring at it.

Hopefully the fish I find with it won’t know it hasn’t been totally updated.

reddog

my 1197 is running just fine on 4.75 and staying there for a very good reason..

My 1198 needs to run current software for the Link, but as soon as Im comfortable with its performance, itd take something mighty fine, with alot of reviews to ever update again..

First thing I would do it fire that baby up Cycle guy and take a look at the hours and the software it comes with. I’d write down the software version inside the box somewhere for memory purposes. Should you ever need or want an update, start a file in your computer, and keep all downloads there. I cant tell you how many times Ive taken my 1197 backwards again, when I didnt like an update I put in.

As far as I can tell, the only update Ive ever liked, was the one that gave me DI when I didnt have it before. Doesnt seem like such a big deal now, because I dont use DI..

spyder357

Quote:

With all this talk about new faster processors in the new Birds I went looking to find out more info and can’t find any.
    Where is this info coming from, HB, stores, shows, reps, fisherman? How much faster are the new processors than the last years?
    I also noticed in my search that even though the price point came down that some features were also taken away. Guess the old saying still holds true “nothing is free”.
    Maybe buying last years model you might get more bang for his buck.

I went from a 597 to 899. The difference is night and day, especially on loading map charts off the lakemaster chip. The 597 used to take forever to load and if you wanted to scroll around a bit…take a few more seconds to load tiny bits of the map.

The 899 loads almost instantly and can scroll around anywhere/any distance with no noticeable lag. Button response is much faster also.

To me the improvement in charting is worth the price alone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.