two questions about SI

• micah-witham
    Richfield

I have a 798 SI/DI combo and I’ve had some troubles with the side imaging.
    1. Maybe I’m smoking something but I could swear that what I know to be out the right side of my boat (say a wingdam or something) is showing up on the “left” side of the screen.

2. One side of my boat on the SI display is returning really bright and the other side is substantially darker.

I have the transducer mounted right in the middle of the boat and to my knowledge nothing is in the way of the beam for the transducer. Even when I trim down my motor all the way it’s still got a good 4 inches of clearance from the transducer.
    Any thoughts from folks who know these units?
    thanks

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Make sure your ducer is level on the water. One side bright and one side dark would indicate that the ducer might be angled down toward the lighter side and giving a stronger signal. It can be level in the garage and still do this if your boat sits slightly off level in the water. Mine had to be adjusted because my fat a** in combination with my boat batteries on the same side caused my boat to lean a bit to the right when I drive.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Is this a new issue or has it always been an issue?

Is the color distortion happening all the time?

is the color distortion happening distinctively between teh screens or is there a gradual color differnce?

What is your chart speed at? is it matchi your driving speeds?

Thanks,
    Dan

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Glad to see this is about fishing. From the title I thought it was going to be something stupid about Duck Dynasty.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

I have a 798 SI/DI combo and I’ve had some troubles with the side imaging.
    1. Maybe I’m smoking something but I could swear that what I know to be out the right side of my boat (say a wingdam or something) is showing up on the “left” side of the screen. I suppose that could be possible, but i highly doubt it. Go to BBC Boards HBird Image Intrepretation to learn how to intrepret SI Images.

2. One side of my boat on the SI display is returning really bright and the other side is substantially darker.
    The transducer mounted directly in the center of your boat could be your problem here. #1, If you’re on a dropoff, the deeper side will return darker, the shallower side will return brighter FYI. #2, motor creates cavitation. I believe depending on the prop rotation direction, you should mount your SI Ducer to one side vs the other. That is listed in the mounting instructions. The intense cavitation created by mounting that close the motor could cause grainy cavitation images and/or a darker image due to sonar not working through air bubbles.

I have the transducer mounted right in the middle of the boat and to my knowledge nothing is in the way of the beam for the transducer. Even when I trim down my motor all the way it’s still got a good 4 inches of clearance from the transducer.
    Any thoughts from folks who know these units?
    thanks

I would post a picture of your transducer install location as well as a few screen shots if possible. I think finding a new mounting location might result in a major improvement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.