Using 1 bird in 2 boats

• jech84

I have a humminbird 587ci HD Combo that I installed on my boat last year before our annual houseboat trip to northern Lake of the Woods and it worked great! The only complaint I have is I was unable to use it while driving the house boat from island to island. (The small handheld gps’s that we have used for years are getting difficult to see)
    This year I was thinking I could rig the humminbird up in the cockpit of the houseboat to simply run the gps, with no depth. Since my model has an internal gps, I believe all I would need is a $20 power cord, spare battery, and mount and I would be set. Has anyone had any experience with switching out there hbird between two boats? Am I missing a potential problem? Also I see there are two different power cords, a PC10 and PC11, website says both will work but the 11 has a filter, what does the filter do?
    Thanks for the info!

been fishing

you could rig it up toa cig lighter plug in if theres one on the boat

brentbullets

If the internal GPS doesn’t go through the the cockpit; signal is blocked by framing, wood or steel in the construction, walls of cockpit, you would have an issue.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Very similar to what I do with my 1197. I use my sealed battery from my marcum. I bought have a spare power cord and GPS puck. I just put the female blade plug ends on the cord and connect it to the battery for using here in my office area. I use the lake maps a lot in conjunction with Google maps when I’m looking at new bodies of water. So how many people do you know with a ram mount ball mounted to their desk??

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I’m going with what Randy said. Spare power cord (would think the house boat would have cig adaptor) and an extra external GPS Antenna. Actually, if you were to use the extermal Anntena, I would bet you’d never go back to internal? At least I didn’t on any of my Lowrances and
    in that regard, they are pretty much the same.
    Good luck

In regards to the ram mount on desk, I’m looking at one of my HDS 10’s hooked to my desk as I write this. I use the adaptor from a Rapala electric fillet knife and then use a spare power cord with a simple cig adaptor so am running off 110… Fused of course. We must be sick

castle-rock-clown

I also do alot of pre-planning. I was wondering if i could mount a ram ball to my stomach. I use my 385 on 2 boats, a kayak, an ATV, and on the ice. Milwaukee tools has a line of 12v cordless tools and a cigarette port adapter for those lithium ion battery’s. I use them for my portable situations where size and weight matter.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I ran a 788 GPS only in my truck a few years for ice fishing. Just ran the power off of a flasher battery. The GPS should work just fine if you get it close to the window

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.