Have to decide between Otter Pro XT1200 Lodge or Otter Pro XT650 Lodge

• Tedd Johnson

Hi everyone I am new here and am hoping for some insight in a GOOD problem to have.
    Two things I know for sure is 1, I am getting a flip over shelter and 2, its going to be an Otter Pro XT Lodge but I have to decide between a Pro XT1200 Lodge or Pro XT650 Lodge Im sure everyone will just say get the 1200! but for my case the bench seat in the 650 is perfect as I have 2 daughters age 7 and 10 that love to go fish with me and as they pointed out the bench seat can hold us all(We got to sit in them at Gander Mountain) The 1200 lodge is a 2-3 man but only comes with 2 seats and we don’t want to sit on a folding chair or bucket. Personally I like the 1200 better due to the full thermal and know it will keep the kids warmer but they want the 650 due to the bench and I agree that would work better in our situation, the kids love fishing with Dad as long as they are comfortable and having fun! so I guess I have 2 questions 1st would the 650 be warm enough for central and northern Wisconsin winters? and 2nd is there anyway I could buy the 650 bench and put it in the 1200? I would prefer to retro fit the bench into the 1200 but not if it wouldn’t work right. Please feel free to chime in any thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 2.jpg

2. 3.jpg

revpilot
    Lake Erie

why not just add another seat to the 1200, after having a thermal cabin then going to a xt650 lodge, I was disappointed, frosty walls and the foam on that bench seat is terrible after awhile. Theres a brand new xt1200 lodge in the garage, I can never go back to non thermal now….

steuben1
    Indiana

Yep, good point on adding the 3rd seat in the 1200 Rev. I agree that if you are going to spend that kind of money, buy the full insulated. I know I was very happy I had my full thermal last year!

Tedd Johnson

Does anyone know for sure that you could add a 3rd seat to the lodge? It is 8″ shorter than the resort and it looks like you can barely get 3 in the resort. But would go that route if it works. Revpilot how is the new lodge any problems?

revpilot
    Lake Erie

im waiting for my hyfax to come in before I put it together. Im pretty sure you could squeeze 3 seats in there, you might not be able to swivel all the way around backwards.I would call OTTER just to be sure. But I see guys with the sportsmens caddy between the seats and theres still room on both sides of the seat, so I would think it would fit. IF you don’t find out I will have mine together hopefully in the next few days and I have a extra seat base to snap in and ck it out for yah.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Just to throw my .02 in

I have the XT650 lodge and think it’s great. Coming from an older Clam, it was a big improvement. I have only had it for a year so I can’t say a whole lot as far as durability of it but it still looks like new inside and out right now. I will say, that I have not fished out of a 1200 so I can’t make a comparison but I fished in -15 last year and was comfortable in a sweatshirt (with a heater going of course)

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Does anyone know for sure that you could add a 3rd seat to the lodge? It is 8″ shorter than the resort and it looks like you can barely get 3 in the resort. But would go that route if it works. Revpilot how is the new lodge any problems?

Absolutely you can; however you may lose the ability to swivel.

In regards to your decision I think you will be happy with either choice. The 650 is plenty of house for me personally but then I fish outside most of the time and use a house mostly as a warming shack; however, I own the 1200 because if my wife, dad, etc. comes along I want them to not worry at all about staying warm and the full thermal keeps everyone warm and toasty in the most brutal of conditions.

Will

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have the 650 as well as 2 daughters. The bench seat acts as a table for the girls. I heat with a buddy heater and it stays nice an warm for my 4 and 6 year old. Thermal top keeps a ton of heat inside the shack. A full thermal would be nice, but the bench seating fits our family the best.

Tedd Johnson

Thanks for the replies guys I’m going to look into adding a 3rd seat to the 1200. This way we have the seating and the warmth! Thanks again.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Tedd, not sure what you’re experience is for other shelters, ie insulated vs non-insulated.

I’m in the minority as I highly prefer a bench seat. Mine is an older Frabill with a bench and no insulation. I prefer it even when it’s just me because it’s easier to set things down and move around.

As for warmth I’ve had very few issues. One rule is that when my wife comes with then I need to make sure she’s comfortable. Above 20 I run a Coleman catalytic heater. It’s safer, plenty of heat, and don’t need to vent as much. Below 20 I run a sunflower heater. As long as I bring some styrofoam for her feet we’re good down to zero. Below zero she stays home and I would like an insulated shelter.

My point is if I can keep my wife happy in a non-insulated shack, I’m guessing a 650 will be that much easier. Would the full insulation of a 1200 be better, yes. Is it needed where you live? maybe/maybe not. If you said you fished Devil’s lake at -20 with those ND winds that would be a different story.

As long as you can get that third seat in then 1200, you can’t go wrong either way. Personally when I replace mine it will be with a 650. Keep saying, well maybe next year:)

tom hopkins

I have the 1200 cabin. Let me tell you this. This house is the real deal. I also have two girls age 3 and 5.being warm is key to them enjoying themselves. If anything the house it too warm. Being that both my girls have to step in a hole at least once per trip it is “hot enough “inside that I can dry out the boot and they can sit in the chair with a wet sock and dry off in ten to fifteen minutes and be completely comfortable and warm the whole time. Any parent can appreciate this as it is usually ends the trip or shortens it. Insulated is 100% the way to go. after owning one I will never go back. You also will not even notice if it’s windy outside due to the insulated canvas does not move so you don’t get the breeze through the bottom of the house. Honestly if I were to complain about anything it would be it needs more vents. Lol. The first trip I took in this house was to url. 20 below and 10-20mph winds. We ran a sunshell cooker heater. Within 15 minutes my buddy and I were literally burning up and had to open the door and shed the coats with the heater on low. I was in disbelief at how big a difference it really makes.i also have a Jason Mitchell one man insulated and clam X2. The jm insulated works pretty good but still has nothing on the otter. The X2 is junk compared it. If you do three seats I would go with the lodge size minimum. Hope this is useful

Tedd Johnson

I’m going to be heading out to the St Paul ice show and try to get a deal on the 1200 lodge and hope to meet some of the ido staff! And where is the best place to get an extra seat or do you have to order that from Otter?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.