Harbor View Cafe Zander

• BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Just ate at the Harbor View, and it is always good. But thought some of you would be interested in their Zander, and yes it’s the same flavor/texture as walleye. It was poached in vermouth and cream, and served with a shrimp cream sauce and wild rice that was absolutely excellent. Check it out before they close for the winter!

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Where is Harbor View??

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Harbor View Cafe in Pepin, WI overlooking Lake Pepin. Really good (and popular) restaurant that’s only open in the warm months. Their Halibut dish is also one of my favorites anywhere.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

reckon they catch that right out of lake pepin too!!!!!! devil devil rotflol

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

No that place is terrible and none of you should waste your time getting in my way by going there whistling

It’s one of our favorite local stops for sure. They’ve got some unique ways of making a hearty meal. Their old fashioneds are good too.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

ive never heard of zander served in the US, thats pretty neat! basically a walleye on steroids. i guess i would rather catch one than eat one. for those zander enthusiasts there are only a few places in ND where you can actually catch one. on my bucket list for sure. might have to check out this place someday? Bucky can you tie the boat up at the marina and stop in to this place? i have only done that at the pickle factory long time ago.

ajw
    Participant

ive never heard of zander served in the US, thats pretty neat! basically a walleye on steroids. i guess i would rather catch one than eat one. for those zander enthusiasts there are only a few places in ND where you can actually catch one. on my bucket list for sure. might have to check out this place someday? Bucky can you tie the boat up at the marina and stop in to this place? i have only done that at the pickle factory long time ago.

If you’ve ordered “walleye” at a restaurant it is most likely Zander shipped in from over seas

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you’ve ordered “walleye” at a restaurant it is most likely Zander shipped in from over seas

Sorry, I don’t believe this is true here in Minnesota. Most restaurant and retail supplies of walleye come from Lake Erie, Lake Winnipeg, Lake of the Woods and other large Canadian lakes. Also seeing retail packaged walleye from the Red Lake band. (I’ll assume Red Lake but ya never know!)

-J.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

No that place is terrible and none of you should waste your time getting in my way by going there whistling

It’s one of our favorite local stops for sure. They’ve got some unique ways of making a hearty meal. Their old fashioneds are good too.

A bunch of my wife’s cousins work there, so we try and go a few times a year, and honestly have never had a bad meal. And judging from the line at times, the secrets been out for a while! rotflol

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ajw wrote:</div>

Sorry, I don’t believe this is true here in Minnesota. Most restaurant and retail supplies of <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye come from Lake Erie, Lake Winnipeg, Lake of the Woods and other large Canadian lakes. Also seeing retail packaged <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye from the Red Lake band. (I’ll assume Red Lake but ya never know!)

-J.

That’s what I heard too Jon….mostly from Lake Winnipeg. I however will not be ordering any walleye from a restaurant unless I catch it and have them cook it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.