Tripod Deer Feeder ??

• gobbler
    Central, MN

I was looking at the MN DNR regs and wanted to know if it’s legal to put a Tripod 30-40 gallon Wildlife Feeder out after Archery Season is over? Basically, I’m looking to keep deer around and don’t feel like walking out a half mile or more a couple times a week. Thought it would save time and $$$ (in the long run) to set up a tripod.

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I believe outside of the archery season (every season) and outside of areas with feeding bans it does not say it is illegal. I can not think of any reason why it would/should be?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Before the feeding ban in our as area about 25% of our feed was via spin feeders. The rest was put out on a daily basis.ricco. you are not in the no feed zone. Unless a town has a special ordinance against it you are good to go

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

One other thing to consider. My moultrie feeders would last about 1 week on a set of batteries. My “on time” feeders at my cabin last from 3 to 6 months

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I was going to put one out at our farm. The drought in mid August killed my 7 acres of corn and 4 acres of beans to the point there was no grain production. I asked around about it and have changed my mind for several reasons

If you put a feeder out you need continue to feed and every deer in the area will come and use it. It could get very spendy to keep the feed supplied, not to mention the $100 trip to the farm each weekend to fill it. My uncle got a feeder 3 years ago, by the end of winter he was feeding 42 deer, he feed 8200 lbs of corn that winter. That’s a lot of cash!

Secondly, they say if you put a feeder out it draws a lot of deer. Deer are browsers and will eat all the browse in the area around the feeder, thus leaving you with an area that will be depleted of browse for several years to come.

I don’t have any facts, but these are article that I read that cause me to change my mind. For what it’s worth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.