Food Plot Pics

• gobbler
    Central, MN

I saw others posting pics of their plots and thought I would join in. This plot is 150 x 30 yards with trees on (2) sides, CRP on (1) side, and corn on the other.

It took until 6/7 but a friend and I finally rented a tractor to get our food plots tilled up. I followed the next day by dragging, seeding, and packed with a barrel roller. It couldn’t have worked out any better as we had a lot of rain Sat night and into Sunday morning. Added, we had a nice steady rain yesterday and more in the forecast for tomorrow night and into Sat morning. So, my hopes are high that it should be growing very soon with 3 good rains in the first week to jump start growth.

And one last thing; “Kooty, I picked (1) rock about the size of a tennis ball.” Not real sure how it got there.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That looks AWESOME!!! What did you plant in there?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That is such BS. You should see the rocks I’ve got back home.

I hope the sun shines bright for you so it grows like mad.

gobbler
    Central, MN

Sticker-

I planted a Chicory/Clover mix on 2/3rds of it and plan to plant the other 1/3rd with Brassicas/Winter Bulbs in late July or early August. (Depends on rain forecast)

On the cornfield side, I planted a 10′ wide strip of “Sorghum mix” to help keep it enclosed and hopefully give the deer a sense of security after the corn gets chopped in the fall.

I’m excited to see how it turns out since I haven’t planted the Sorghum or Brassicas before. It’s kind of a “do-it-all” plot since I don’t have any other areas or options to plant on this property. With the price of corn last year, I was lucky that the land owner was willing to even let me do this where corn was standing before.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That’s going to be a nice mix and the sorgum for security is a great idea!!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Plots look great you are really going to be happy with putting in that sorgum visual barrier if this is your first time doing it. I have been using sorgum and/or corn strips as visual barriers for several years now and have had great results from them. If you have a spot that gets more wind than others, the corn seems to work best as it is not as susceptible to being blown down when put in thin strips. Forage sorgum (the real tall stuff) seems to blow over pretty easily, but if you plant the strips wider the down wind side really helps to support it and keep it functional longer. One thing to note too is that sorgum results in a lot of tonnage that will affect the speed at which the soil will dry in the spring, as well as foliage to get burried. With a tiller I’m thinking you have no problem getting the material burried, but a wider and less wind susceptible strip is more prone to stay wet while your other parts of the plot dry out.

But all that’s off topic, plots look great and I look forward to seeing how they progress through the summer

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Egyptian wheat works even better. Spendy stuff but it grows a lot taller then other sorghum varieties.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.