Early Season Plot

• SwampBuck

I have two food plot options to hunt on opening day. A soy bean plot and corn. What would you hunt?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

First of all Welcome to In Depth Outdoors Swamp Buck!

Opening Day of Bow season in the evening I would hunt beans. Trying to hunt it in the morning IMO you would do more harm hunting the edge of a bean field and alarm that deer that you are there. I would wait until evening.

Opening Day of Rilfe season in the Morning or Evenning I would hunt Corn!

Opening Day of Muzzle Loader season I would hunt what ever field has not been harvested or disced under!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Scouting always dictates where I sit on opening day of bow season especially if you are able to view these plots from a distance without being detected. The bucks are very predictable in mid Sept. Wait for the right wind and think about how you are going to exit your stand without chasing the deer off your plot, otherwise it’s a one night hunt and you’re done for awhile.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome to IDO!!

A lot of other factors would probalby play into my decision. However the biggest factor will be what the deer tell you. Good luck and have fun scouting this summer!

whiteoak

My money would go on the beans. Corn isn’t quite ready for the deer until later in the year and then they will change over to eating the corn BUT anything is possible. Glass from a distance or trail cams, find out what your deer are doing. Always hunt a stand for a reason, not just because you think the deer are going to be there. The more you prepare the better your results will be!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.