Gull Lake?

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I’m thinking of doing a Minnesota Recreational Rentals ice cabin sleeper shack towards the end of February with one of my kids age 7 on Gull Lake (just north of Brainerd MN). We would like to target walleye for our few days there. Has anyone fished it with good success or even fished with mentioned rentals (icefishmn.com). Thanks for any feedback. Or even another sleeper shack on a different body of water with decent walleye success.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Keep in mind that walleye season closes Feb 26 on inland waters.

I drove past Gull Lake on Saturday and most of it was open water. That was before 50 degrees and rain came.

The Jaycees event is planned for Feb 3 out there. That’s just over a month away. Most walleyes caught are in very deep water during that event.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I heard Jaycees is canceled

End of February targeting walleye out of a rental, honestly I would not expect much just about anywhere.

Having said that I would probably take my chances on Red Lake and hope you get lucky.

Nodakk

Gull can be a very tricky lake. It is like most lakes around the BLA where walleyes are predominantly a flash bite at prime time.

Nodakk

Lindy- where did you hear the Jaycees tournament was canceled? It was moved to a later date a while back but haven’t seen or heard it being canceled

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Having said that I would probably take my chances on Red Lake and hope you get lucky.

This or LOW would give you your best chances. PM me if you would like more info.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lindy- where did you hear the Jaycees tournament was canceled? It was moved to a later date a while back but haven’t seen or heard it being canceled

The website says Feb 3 when I looked yesterday. I believe its normally held in late January, so a later date seems like accurate information. I can’t find anything about it being completely cancelled (yet).

Charles

Walleye Dan is doing a ice and open water package for $600 lol.

Water is primed and with the low temps coming it, as long as the wind stays down it will lock down quickly.

Nodakk

Gull may end up with the best ice in the area if the snow stays away and temps get cold. Other lakes took a beating with the rain

10klakes

Gull has to freeze first for it to have the best ice jester

I’d be looking to a guide if wanting to find walleye on gull end of Feb. Otherwise Mille Lacs, Winni, Cass, Leech are in the area and would get my vote before a sleeper on gull.
    This is solely based off of what I hear, I have never ice fished Gull but have the other lakes I mentioned.

AK Guy

Gull can be a very tricky lake. It is like most lakes around the BLA where <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes are predominantly a flash bite at prime time.

Spent my whole life ice fishing the BLA. Flash bite at prime time nailed the walleye bite. Only thing I’ll add is the window can be so small and if you’re not in the right spot at the right time, you won’t have time to fish a second spot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Gull is pretty notorious for limited bite windows at dawn/dusk. Plenty of fish and a cool area though, so if you want to work for them, you should be able to get on some or just spend time at Zorbaz or other of dozens of businesses on/near the lake. If you’re looking to catch walleye without leaving your sleeper house, I’d look at LOTW, Red or Winnie that time of year.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Heard it from my father in law at Christmas over some beers. He could be wrong or maybe was just referring to the original weekend / getting moved. Apologize if that is incorrect information.

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nodakk wrote:</div>
    Gull can be a very tricky lake. It is like most lakes around the BLA where <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes are predominantly a flash bite at prime time.

Spent my whole life ice fishing the BLA. Flash bite at prime time nailed the walleye bite. Only thing I’ll add is the window can be so small and if you’re not in the right spot at the right time, you won’t have time to fish a second spot.

Correct. One of the things I get most frustrated with fishing this area. Pick your spot for the night, if it doesn’t work, try a new spot tomorrow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.