Green Bay ice? Fish?

• Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Anything happening? I heard Bay de Noc was going, but what about the lower Green Bay?

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I was up a little south of Little Sturgeon Bay on Sunday. Ice was rough…lots of jagged pack ice where the first freeze broke up and re-froze where I was fishing. The new ice was 6″-9″ and solid enough. I only walked out 1/3 mile or so to 40’…there was another heave that I wasn’t confident in crossing. I hear they’re getting out deeper further north but jagged, chunky ice is still the norm. New snow today may affect conditions.

Bite was off on Sunday..marked a lot of fish but I only got 2 whitefish on the ice although they were big. Talked with many others that also struggled.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I fished out of sand bay Saturday and Sunday and I would echo the comments from winnebago Viking. Lots of jagged ice and heaves and cracks. We crossed several open cracks and ended up opting for shallower water that offered a less risky path. Some guys were concerned this snow could shut them down as the ice may not be able to handle the weight of the snow. There were reports of a wheeler going through around snake island Saturday.

We struggled to put fish on the ice also and for our sub-group of 6 we kept 17 whitefish on Saturday and about 10 in 3 hours on Sunday morning. There were some decent perch caught also but we didn’t try to target perch or walleye.

Good luck and be safe if you go.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Is there a good website for checking water temps for Oconto/Peshtigo rivers, AND the Bay?

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Thanks Ryan! Exactly what I was looking for!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.