Greatest Guitar Solos From Approx 70 thru 80.

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

In no particular order,,,,
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Beatles
    25 or 6 to 4, Chicago
    Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits
    Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Stone in Love, Journey
    More Than a Feeling, Boston
    Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
    California, Eagles
    Peter Frampton
    Stairway To Heaven, Led Zepplin
    Steely Dan
    Pink Floyd

My favorite is “Mister Slow Hand, Himself” Eric Clapton!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I assume with most of those you are talking about riffs not solos. And then the list faded. You missed so many actual guitar players and only named bigger bands/songs. Tons of great riffs in that Era. But that was a time when “metal” actually started to expose itself and become a thing. It would be hard to ever talk about a “solo” if you didn’t mention iron maiden. But yes all those other bands had amazing riffs and great music. Early days metal was some of what I still think is the best music ever produced, especially most is low quality recordings. But those radio jams are all awesome as well

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Jimmy Hendrix-Machine gun, Voodoo child, All along the watchtower

Carlos Santana-Europa

Ted Nugent-Stranglehold

Eddie Van Halen-Eruption

Most used, recognized riff has to be the intro to “Can’t you hear me knocking” by the Stones.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Wagner & Hunter on the intro to “Sweet Jane” on Lou Reeds Rock & Roll Animal

Tom schmitt

There really was so much great guitat work at that time, I don’t think I could come up with a list.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Lots of good ones out there, but one you don’t hear about too often:
    Robin Trower in songs like Fool and Me, Bridge of Sighs, and others. Check it out if you’ve never heard them.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

You cannot make a list and include Gregg Allman/ Dickey Betts on it or Lowell George. You can insert your favorite song.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Riff –
    Keith Richards
    Sympathy for the Devil – Beggars Banquet

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top can get r dun also.

Muskybites
    Central WI

Ace of Spades by Motorhead
    Great White Buffalo by sweaty uncle Teddy

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

You cannot make a list and include Gregg Allman/ Dickey Betts

Slight correction…Gregg played keyboards, Duane played guitar

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird

Brad Dimond

Duane Allman/Dickie Betts Blue Sky on Eat a Peach

Eric Clapton Let It Rain on Eric Clapton, Also a great bass line, purportedly performed by Steven Stills

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Duane Allman/Dickie Betts Blue Sky on Eat a Peach

Eric Clapton Let It Rain on Eric Clapton, Also a great bass line, purportedly performed by Steven Stills

Stills is often overlooked, he was great with Buffalo Springfield.

Any Tommy Bolin fans? The James Gang, Deep Purple & an impressive solo career.

Mike
    Eyota MN

Mr. Crowley

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

You cannot make a list and include Gregg Allman/ Dickey Betts

Slight correction…Gregg played keyboards, Duane played guitar

Correct… Not sure how I messed that one up!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

“Any Tommy Bolin fans? The James Gang, Deep Purple & an impressive solo career”

Tommy Bolin grew up a few blocks from where I currently live here in Sioux City IA. He was definitely ahead of his time. Not my favorite, but a top 10 in my book.

bigpike

Jimie Hendrix thought much of Billy Gibbons. For my money I love the work Gibbons did in the 70’s. Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy. I never saw Buddy Guy or even new of him til 2000. Once I saw him I thought he was greater than Gibbons or Clapton live from that era. But seeing him so close he could spit on me might have tempered my opinion.
    Never saw Allmans. Sad.
    To young for skynyrd. Sad
    Never went to see Stevie Ray before he died. Big mistake though he might be considered more 80’s since that was when he made his name…..those are my favorites from that era…

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Tommy Bolin is pretty good. Johnnie Bolin, Tommy’s brother is the drummer for Black Oak Arkansas, and still alive. I see him around the Sioux City area occasionally. I grew up listening to this stuff. I have a James Gang Miami on vinyl I bought at the local 2nd hand store a couple years ago. Tommy pretty much wrote the entire album, with some help from a few others on some of the tracks. Its plays well. The Billy Cobham Spectrum album is pretty good too, if you like Tommy.

brentbullets

Any Tommy Bolin fans? The James Gang, Deep Purple & an impressive solo career.
    [/quote]

Yes, it would be hard to leave Bolin off this list, most people don’t even know of him. Tease and Private Eye’s are 2 really great albums. I too am from Sioux City.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Stylistically different than a lot of the names mentioned, one guitarist from that era is Jeff Beck. His rock fusion phase falls right in the middle of that window. I really liked the live recording of Freeway Jam with Jan Hammer.

I also like Alex Lifeson’s solo on Limelight.

sji

Dunno…. don’t remember much from the smoke years DennyO cool

Anonymous
    Inactive

Way different genre, but Roy Clark and Glen Campbell can really pick.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Stylistically different than a lot of the names mentioned, one guitarist from that era is Jeff Beck. His rock fusion phase falls right in the middle of that window. I really liked the live recording of Freeway Jam with Jan Hammer.

I also like Alex Lifeson’s solo on Limelight.

Yes, Jeff Beck! I feel like a moron for not thinking of him.

There are so many but I honestly believe that Hendrix is about the best to ever pick up a guitar. Would’ve enjoyed hearing him grow and expand based on how prolific he was by the age of 27.

The best thing about these threads is they get me back into some great music I haven’t played in quite some time! peace

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and the fact Z99 still plays this regularly always makes me peace

Little before this time frame, but Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry was one of the OG’s.

Umy
    South Metro

Too funny, just thinking this very thing on the ride home from spending a Cabelas gift card.
    Jeff Beck
    Carlos Santana
    Jimmy Page
    Mark Knopfler
    Eric Clapton
    best ever.

BTW Ted Nugent- Hibernation on Double Live Gonzo about 6.5 minutes in – phenomenal cranked ( must be from seeing him live at the Iowa jam in the 80″s) Watching him now on his “hunting ” show just makes me smile

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Lots of good ones mentioned so far.
    One of my favorites is actually a whole album:
    Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn In Session

Great guitar work by both of them

Umy
    South Metro

I have two Bolin albums – good stuff

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.