Walleye Bite in Grand Rapids Area

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Lake Pokegama is still producing some nice oversized ‘eyes on the deep water reefs and steep edges along the shoreline in 25′ to 35′ of water. The best method seems to be 5′ to 8’ snells with a leech or crawler.

The smaller walleyes seem to feeding on the weedlines or in the weeds from 15′ to 23′ of water. The best technique seems to be gold hammered spinners and a half a crawler.

The night bite has been producing nice eater walleyes on the flats and shallow bars from 2am to 5am in the morning, some fisherman have been doing well from 10pm to 12pm and picking up a few bigger walleyes. Trolling shallow shads or stick baits seems to be the method of choice. The best color I have heard so far is Blue Steel.

The panfish have moved out to the shallow humps and along the weedlines in 8′ to 15′ of water if you are looking for some action for the kids or a nice quick meal of fish. Worms, leeches, and plastic power grubs work well for the sunfish and minnows, mimic minnows, and beetle spins have been working well for the crappies. The crappies tend to creep up in the evening.

I am hoping to get out tonight and try pitching some jigs in the weeds and pulling out some eater walleyes and planning to check out the night bite myself. Could be a late one tonight?

Trout Lake bite seems to have slowed down a bit, but you can still find the fish on the steep breaks around the rock reefs and points in 18′ to 35′. Try the east side of the lake along the weedline to get your smaller walleyes.

Try using 6′ to 12′ snells with a leech or air blown crawler in the deeper water and spinners with a crawler along the weedline. Use your sonar to identify how far off the bottom the fish are and adjust your snell length accordingly to get the bait into the fishes feeding zone.

Quite a few fisherman are catching walleyes on the rock reefs at night with slip bobbers with leeches and crawlers.

I haven’t heard anything about the panfish bite on the lake as of yet, but am hoping to get out this week or next to check that out as well. Usually about this time of year it heats up on Trout and you can catch a nice limit of Sunfish from half to 3/4 of a pound, and some nice crappies along the pencil weeds on the East shoreline in the morning and evening.

I haven’t heard of any reports on Splithand since the lake flooded a few weeks ago.

As for Sugar and Deer the reports have been pretty so so with some fisherman still doing well on deer with jig and minnow and spinner rigs and crawlers.

I will report again tomorrow and let you know how the bite on Pokegama was for pitching jigs in the weeds. GOOD LUCK FISHING EVERYONE!!!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Mike, any Muskie reports from deer, north star or spider?

deerdragger

Thanks for the post – I’m hoping to jump out onto Pokeg this weekend and pull cranks after dark. I’ll be sure and post how it goes.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Mike, any Muskie reports from deer, north star or spider?

Not that I have heard of, most of the people fishing for Muskies on Deer keep that pretty hush, hush…Unless they now you aren’t a Muskie fisherman. As far as North Star and Spider I haven’t heard any reports.

A lot of the fishing reports have quieted down around here since the storms hit, not sure if people just aren’t getting out fishing or just keeping things really quiet.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the post – I’m hoping to jump out onto Pokeg this weekend and pull cranks after dark. I’ll be sure and post how it goes.

Last two years I have been pulling cranks on Pokeg by the Lunar schedule best times to fish and it hasn’t failed me to date. That seems to be the only time it has paid off for me though is the night bite. Have you ever followed that schedule, I would be curious to know anyone else that has and how they have done.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Lake Pokegama is still producing some nice oversized ‘eyes on the deep water reefs and steep edges along the shoreline in 25′ to 35′ of water. The best method seems to be 5′ to 8’ snells with a leech or crawler.

The smaller walleyes seem to feeding on the weedlines or in the weeds from 15′ to 23′ of water. The best technique seems to be gold hammered spinners and a half a crawler.

The night bite has been producing nice eater walleyes on the flats and shallow bars from 2am to 5am in the morning, some fisherman have been doing well from 10pm to 12pm and picking up a few bigger walleyes. Trolling shallow shads or stick baits seems to be the method of choice. The best color I have heard so far is Blue Steel.

The panfish have moved out to the shallow humps and along the weedlines in 8′ to 15′ of water if you are looking for some action for the kids or a nice quick meal of fish. Worms, leeches, and plastic power grubs work well for the sunfish and minnows, mimic minnows, and beetle spins have been working well for the crappies. The crappies tend to creep up in the evening.

I am hoping to get out tonight and try pitching some jigs in the weeds and pulling out some eater walleyes and planning to check out the night bite myself. Could be a late one tonight?

Trout Lake bite seems to have slowed down a bit, but you can still find the fish on the steep breaks around the rock reefs and points in 18′ to 35′. Try the east side of the lake along the weedline to get your smaller walleyes.

Try using 6′ to 12′ snells with a leech or air blown crawler in the deeper water and spinners with a crawler along the weedline. Use your sonar to identify how far off the bottom the fish are and adjust your snell length accordingly to get the bait into the fishes feeding zone.

Quite a few fisherman are catching walleyes on the rock reefs at night with slip bobbers with leeches and crawlers.

I haven’t heard anything about the panfish bite on the lake as of yet, but am hoping to get out this week or next to check that out as well. Usually about this time of year it heats up on Trout and you can catch a nice limit of Sunfish from half to 3/4 of a pound, and some nice crappies along the pencil weeds on the East shoreline in the morning and evening.

I haven’t heard of any reports on Splithand since the lake flooded a few weeks ago.

As for Sugar and Deer the reports have been pretty so so with some fisherman still doing well on deer with jig and minnow and spinner rigs and crawlers.

I will report again tomorrow and let you know how the bite on Pokegama was for pitching jigs in the weeds. GOOD LUCK FISHING EVERYONE!!!

Now THAT is some quality, quality information, straight from the horse’s mouth so to speak….no offense Mike. Thanks so much for taking the time to share how the bite’s going, and for providing a helping hand in the north country. I’m coming up there sooner than later!!!

Joel

deerdragger

No – I haven’t paid much attention to the lunar tables…to be honest, I get out there when other “stars align”. Meaning, I’m not on the road (live in GR, but travel the state a lot for work), or I’m not coaching baseball, or remodeling the homestead, or…

Recovering from knee surgery right now…was scoped in GR yesterday. On the mend!

scottie56005

I was just analyzing that myself. So anything blue – gold works. Spinners, jigs, cranks, rigs, or cork, works good. Leeches or crawlers. 6-35 fow. Any time of day. Great now that I know where to start, I just have to narrow down the options in the tackle boxes…

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I was just analyzing that myself. So anything blue – gold works. Spinners, jigs, cranks, rigs, or cork, works good. Leeches or crawlers. 6-35 fow. Any time of day. Great now that I know where to start, I just have to narrow down the options in the tackle boxes…

To make it easy I would suggest going to Tioga Bay on Lake Pokegama and trolling spinners around the weedlines on either of the two humps if you are looking for the day bite. But if you like trolling cranks try the flats around Drumbeater Island or the shoreline by the Golf Course.

I haven’t tried jig fishing on Pokegama late in the summer but I am going to try pitching them along the weedline this weekend to see if I can pick up a few walleyes…hope it works then I can add one more technique to my late summer technique.

What lake do you usually fish in the area?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.