Grand lake Colorado fishing trip, I mean honeymoon.

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

After some great input from some of you and a little research of our own, I believe we have decided to fly in to Denver Colorado and drive to grand lake Colorado for our honeymoon stay. Looking for any input or tips for the area. I would like to book at least one guided fishing trip if anyone has any suggestions? I would also like to do some shore fishing and river fishing in my free time, what should I expect to be able to target near shore or in the river early October with spinning gear? What should I make sure to pack? Thanks again everyone!

munchy
    NULL

What should I make sure to pack?

An ice pack for the black eye she’s gonna give you if you think you’re gonna go fishing on your honeymoon.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

We will have a week, she wants to fish too, but good reminder.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ll get back and add some info when I’m back in my office. I fish just over the hill whenever I can at Granby. Monster lakers when you get into them.

brentbullets

You are on your honey moon, you shouldn’t have any free time.

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

As mentioned previously, I’d suggest fishing Granby instead of Grand Lake. Early October should be fantastic for numbers of fish and occasionally a big fish. If considering hiring a guide I’d recommend Bernie Keefe. http://www.fishingwithbernie.com/
    Bernie is a lot of fun, knows a lot of different things to learn and will be on the fish. Early October is the best time of year to be up there IMO! Be aware you may be up there for the first rifle elk season so it can get busy up there. You will for the most part have the water to yourself. If Grand Lake happens to be better or even Williams Fork for that matter, Bernie will know and have you at the best locations. Good chance you may see me on the water too :). Have a great time and congratulations on finding a wife is good with combining fishing with a honeymoon!

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

I neglected to mention I am talking about Lakers (Mackinaw). Also, Bernie does require 20″ fish and bigger to be photographed and released which is what most of us do up there. It takes forever for the fish to grow up there. Their primary diet is stocker rainbows.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1009.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve had the opportunity to meet Bernie on multiple occasions and he’s a heck a great guy. He had clients out near us, and he was very courteous to give plenty of distance.

My basic Granby set-up
    3/4 and 1/2 ounce blade baits in firetiger, pearl, pearl/black, and Pearl/blue
    3/4 and 1oz Kastmaster spoons

4″ and 5″ tubes in blue, white, and green pumpkin with 1/4 to 3/4 ounce jigs.
    I fish all braid with mono or floro leader both icefishing and open water

5″ Flukes in Rainbow, Pearl, Pearl/Chart.

Don’t need much more than that. My best laker on Granby is just under 30#, and plenty in the upper teens. We’ve kept a few small ones for a fresh meal on the grill and are they tasty!!! But as mentioned above, slow growing fish and that fishery takes a lot of care to grow the sows they have.

I’ve fished Grand a few times and have always done much better on Granby

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thank you so much for the great feedback and info! Any tips for the near shore or fish coming up to the rivers?

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

What Randy said! toast

There is opportunity from shore for macks, bows and browns that time of year. The canal from Granby to Grand Lake (yes, backwards and I don’t know about access) will have fish in it. The Colorado River coming into Granby is closed that time of year to protect the fish (I don’t know how far up river though). Really accessible by boat anyways via Columbine Bay. If you’re looking at Google Earth; easy shore access is in Rainbow Bay on the first dike in the extreme south west corner near Highway 34 which you’ll be on coming from Denver since Trail Ridge through RMNP may be closed by that time. Wish I could offer more with respect to shore fishing but all my fishing on there has been from a boat or sled.

If you fish with Bernie you won’t be disappointed. Bernie’s sense of humor is second to none. Did I mention he gets clients on fish? waytogo

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I really appreciate all of the information! Definitely going to check in with Bernie! Thanks so much!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.