Grampas' day to show off

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Yesterday, despite the extremely windy conditions, Ron Dahling & I planned to show two of our grand kids how to have a good time. Atticus (mine) & Luke (Ron’s) had never met before. We met in Lake City, planning to fish at the Dresbach Float near La Crosse. The sunfish bite had been picking up so it looked like the hot spot to go to. Before we left Lake City, Luke & Atticus were already BSing worse than Ron & I ever did! The trip went quickly until we got to Winona. “Why are we not staying on the highway? Are we fishing here? Are we there yet? Where is the Float?” Ron & I wanted to show the boys Bloedow’s Bakery, considered one of the top bakeries in the State. When they realized what was happening, they were quick to pick out their favorite sweet treats. The car was quiet for the next fifteen minutes, as they inhaled a slice of Heaven. As we wiggled back & forth through the construction to get to the landing, the boys were fascinated with the big equipment & wondered where we would be fishing. “Where is the Float? How do we get there?” Unfortunately, the wind helped the fish not cooperate. We caught only two sunfish, but the trip still turned out decent. The boys got cold just about lunch time, so they went inside to save us a table & warm up. Captain Tom had not only pictures of recently caught fish for the boys to drool over, but also had some great mounts hanging on the wall to measure with their outstretched hands. Two older guys (older than Ron & me) had caught sunfish & gave them to the boys, who sat over our pail admiring & even touching the fish! After lunch, we tried our luck for a bit longer, then decided to head for the setting sun. After loading up the van, the boys were quietly whispering. Then Luke asked, “Can we stop at that bakery on the way home?” They already know what can be the best part of a fishing trip: BS, donuts, smart talk, & with some luck, enough fish for a meal!

Attachments:
    1. image63.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.