Gm 3.0 liter diesel opinions

• Graham Redshaw

Through the lens of “right now” yeah $5/gal diesel sucks, but, the government is subsidizing gasoline right now so we aren’t seeing the true cost anyway.
    I love the motor, it has plenty of power and fits my needs well. Your opinions and mileage may vary.

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>
    I have a 2022 Silverado crew 5.3 liter . 10k miles ( work truck ) on it gets about 20 mpg . Personally I think the transmission is clunky over the last Chevy I had with the 6 speed .

is this an 8 or 10 speed? The 6 speed was known to be clunky.

I couldn’t tell ya if it’s the 8 or 10 . Feels like a 21 speed bicycle driving around the city it shifts 5 times to get to 40 mph seems like . To be honest – I’ve had it 3 days now , but it’s a change from the 6 speed I had .

CaptainMusky

I couldn’t tell ya if it’s the 8 or 10 . Feels like a 21 speed bicycle driving around the city it shifts 5 times to get to 40 mph seems like . To be honest – I’ve had it 3 days now , but it’s a change from the 6 speed I had .

I bet its the 10 speed. One thing about these transmissions even going back to the 6 speed is that they learn your driving habits so it takes a bit for that to get worked out. I remember when I first got my 2015 I was like WTF is up with this thing then it straightened itself out after a few weeks of driving.

munchy
    NULL

Youre not going to avg 22 with a 5.3. Ive owned 3 since 2015 and while its a fine motor and can get good MPG its not going to average 22. 20 at best. The highest I saw was 27 on a roadtrip, but daily driving was 20 with a mix of town and highway.

Depends on the tires. My 5.3 had the original highway tires when I bought it, averaged around 22-23 in my normal driving, highest was 29 on a roadtrip. Got new All Terrain tires and now only get 20 on a good day.

munchy
    NULL

But with the reported diesel shortage coming soon you couldn’t pay me enough to buy a diesel right now.

CaptainMusky

But with the reported diesel shortage coming soon you couldn’t pay me enough to buy a diesel right now.

Yeah, this is getting really concerning. If its not inflation, its shortages of everything.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    I get the gas Vs diesel cost but that doesn’t account for the life expectancy difference. Guy are happy to get 200k on a gasser, I see over half million miles on each of my diesels and still running strong.

That’s pretty impressive just to have any vehicle last 500k with all the salt on the roads now days!

Heck of a lot of washes. I made a sprayer for my under carrage. My 2001 gmc was almost 600K miles and running strong. The cab on the other hand was about 50% MIA from salt

rwmcvean

I figured I’d get this post going again as I did end up buying a year old sierra with the 3.0 diesel and so far it is amazing. Speaking purely about mileage, it is as advertised, 25 in town, 30 on road trips, crazy. Next question, do I need to be using anti gel fuel treatments when temps below zero (and if so which brand) or does the fuel at the pump have this already added?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I figured I’d get this post going again as I did end up buying a year old sierra with the 3.0 diesel and so far it is amazing. Speaking purely about mileage, it is as advertised, 25 in town, 30 on road trips, crazy. Next question, do I need to be using anti gel fuel treatments when temps below zero (and if so which brand) or does the fuel at the pump have this already added?

Pump fuel has it but always have diesel 911 around for when it does gel

MX1825

Be careful on your fuel. Some places have both–treated & untreated. Find a station with quality fuel and buy there if possible. Change fuel filter and add a water removal additive every fall about Nov. 1st. Most early season “jelling” is usually frozen water crystals.
    Stay away from Biodiese in cold weather. Jells VERY easily. JMO

CaptainMusky

Be careful on your fuel. Some places have both–treated & untreated. Find a station with quality fuel and buy there if possible.

Also make sure to find a place that sells a LOT of diesel. Places that sell very little of it will likely have much poorer quality.

keith christianson

I had a 2021 Chevy 3.0 and pulled a Ranger 621. The motor is great. Empty 26 to 30mph often. Pulling my boat 10 to 15mpg. Inow own a 2022 Ram 3.0 eco diesel. The reason I bought my Ramis suspension on the gm was terrible. My ram has air suspension and it has a great ride and my truck doesn’t squad like my checvy did. My Ram doesn’t have the performance the chevy did. I get slightly lower mpg empty 24 to 28 and pulling 10 to 14.

i am currently thinking of buying a ford powerboost. Besides diesel cost you may want to consider cost of service, def, and winter additives. as far as the chevy 3.0 diesel great motor and performs well.

matt bosch

Hello, so I’ve been reading about the mileage debate and all the other things on this forum and all points are valid on mpg. I’ve owned all three engines in some form from Gm. By far I like my 22 3.0 refresh the best. My mpg from my 15 6.2 high country is better on highway by about 8.5 to 9 mpg at almost 30 compared to 21 with 6.2. No question the 6.2 has way more top end and passing power but 3.0 is low end monster and way smother to drive. Had issues with 6.2 dropping lifters 2 times , 2nd time was within 1200 miles of first repair. After that I decided to go duramax. So far it’s been amazing. Mileage dips a little with winter blend fuel but still better then 6.2 and way better then same year 5.3 that my friend owns. So it’s really about preference I’d say. Hoping for better reliability than before but I do miss the gritty up and go of 6.2 lol.

CaptainMusky

Ive my my 22 GMC 6.2 refresh for about a month now and absolutely love this truck. I have only one complaint and that is the auto stop/start has to be disabled each time I start it. The 10 speed transmission shifts so smoothly you cannot even feel it. Mileage hasnt been very good so far, but its so dang fun to drive no wonder! The 6.2 is lightyears better than the 5.3 and I had good luck with those engines, but no comparison. I still kinda wished I got the diesel, but no complaints. Driving this truck it feels like its a Mercedes or something. So much nicer than the previous GM trucks I had.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ive my my 22 GMC 6.2 refresh for about a month now and absolutely love this truck. I have only one complaint and that is the auto stop/start has to be disabled each time I start it. The 10 speed transmission shifts so smoothly you cannot even feel it. Mileage hasnt been very good so far, but its so dang fun to drive no wonder! The 6.2 is lightyears better than the 5.3 and I had good luck with those engines, but no comparison. I still kinda wished I got the diesel, but no complaints. Driving this truck it feels like its a Mercedes or something. So much nicer than the previous GM trucks I had.

I thought you bought a 3.0. I was way off

CaptainMusky

I thought you bought a 3.0. I was way off

It was a rollercoaster ride. I researched before ordering and was going to get the 3.0 but a buddy talked me out of it. I had concerns about a diesel and my driving style with short trips. I ordered the 6.2 in January. Then my buddy buys the 3.0 (same one who talked me out of ordering one) in later January and absolutely loves it. In early June GM announced no more 6.2 for 2022 model year so I contacted my salesman to change to 3.0. He calls me back within minutes and told me my truck had already been built (I had no idea) on April 17th. It took until December 10th for me to get it. I have no regrets, but the mileage difference would be nice, diesel prices are coming down a bit now. For a time they were like $2 higher than gas, but now its not so bad.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nothing about that small diesel I would want. I run a diesel daily. No way I’d want a half ton diesel

CaptainMusky

Nothing about that small diesel I would want. I run a diesel daily. No way I’d want a half ton diesel

Interesting. Can you elaborate? My commute isnt far and that is what I was worried about with the regen stuff. He says its not an issue. Apparently it will do partial regens, but I was worried I would get to work and then have to keep driving but apparently that wouldnt be the case.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Interesting. Can you elaborate? My commute isnt far and that is what I was worried about with the regen stuff. He says its not an issue. Apparently it will do partial regens, but I was worried I would get to work and then have to keep driving but apparently that wouldnt be the case.

Just my personal opinions. Would never want to deal with Def, cold issues, spendy oil and fuel filters plugging in. Have a few buddies that went eco diesel and have recently moved back to gasser. Again just my personal opion from a guy who runs a diesel 1 ton and bigger kenworth.
    The pulling millage on the little diesels is bad. The fuel is higher. The amount saved is a wash. Def systems alone on these new trucks sucks.
    As for your buddy loving his, I imagine it’s a nice new truck. Hard not to love.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, makes a lot of sense. Those are all things that made me switch my mind initially too. My buddy has a boat similar in size to mine and he says he gets low 20’s pulling it which is pretty incredible. I think comparing this 3.0 inline 6 to the ecodiesel is not a good comparison however. The inline 6 is a far better engine since its an inline and not a v6. I havent heard many good things about the ecodiesel in fact I think Ram is stopping production of it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So Ram has discontinued their 1/2 ton diesel to likely focus production towards the EV market. Ford has been a step ahead and scrapped their 1/2 ton diesel production in 2021. GM is hanging on to it for now, but I’d bet they follow suit at some point in the near future. Offering diesel options on top of gasoline and the anticipated growth of electric in 1/2 ton models is a lot. Auto sales are already in for a rude awakening/correction with interest rates and falling demand.

My brother had a Ram with the EcoDiesel and it was nice, but essentially a $5500 upgrade that wasn’t THAT much better than other options in his mind. He’s in a brand new F150 with the ecoboost and likes that more.

CaptainMusky

My brother had a Ram with the EcoDiesel and it was nice, but essentially a $5500 upgrade that wasn’t THAT much better than other options in his mind. He’s in a brand new F150 with the ecoboost and likes that more.

wow thats a lot more than opting for the gm diesel. Its essentially the same cost as a 6.2. You may be right about the switch to EV platforms, but I know GM has a dedicated EV plant that they will be using for their EV trucks. It recently opened and is producing the Hummer and Silverado EVs right now. If anything I could see GM ditch the turbo 4 cyl in half tons since it is NOT selling well at all. Its the only truck you can get any incentives on right now.
    The interest rates are indeed ridiculous. In 4 months its gone up 5%. I should have taken out my loan back then and just made payments without my truck.

Viewing 22 posts - 31 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.