Giant Carp Through the Ice

• Jordan Weiler

Hit the ice on the Big Eau Pleine Reservoir in Wisconsin to try to catch a few walleye before dark. We did manage to catch a few and I ended up hooking into a fish that I thought was going to be a 10#+ walleye. Head shakes, peeling out drag, and finally got it close to the hole and here it was a huge carp.

I had tried to target carp while ice fishing multiple times last winter and did not have any success. Tried corn on tip ups and small jigs with wax worms but did not even get a bite.

It sure was a fun fight but there was definitely some disappointment when it wasn’t a 10# walleye like I thought.

First time I had ever caught a carp through the ice, wasn’t expecting that!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Iowaboy1 loves them southern walleye.
    He eats them like they’re candy. rotflol

Iowaboy1

neat video ! EPG is just jealous ’cause he cant catch any !!
    walleyes that is.
    carp?? me? eat them like candy?? yuck ! shoot,even the eagles around here wont eat something that ugly.

Dan Kane

Fishing buddy had the same thing happen but it was a huge Buffalo hooked under the jaw…. Thought it was a monster walleye haha….

Jordan Weiler

That is too funny. Yeah it sure felt like a walleye, guess I should have known by the giant floating marks we were getting on the flasher. There was quite a few carp around, but we were also catching a few walleye there too.

404 ERROR
    MN

Hey, no matter the species, a big fish on an ice rod is fun. Not always the most rewarding when pulling it up the hole, but it’s still fun fighting em!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.