Gear you can’t be without

• Tim

What’s your favorite piece of gear? A certain rod, reel, lure, sonar, auger, shelter, etc.?

Ryan Wilson

Without a doubt, my Milwaukee M18/Clam Plate setup. I have an 8” Lazer on it now but I’m considering downsizing to a 6”. Not that the setup can’t handle it but I don’t fish pike nearly as much as I used to so I don’t “need” an 8” hole anymore.

A very close second would be my flasher. Coupled with the above setup, there’s no reason for me to not catch fish and this season has so far been skunk free because of it )

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Today it’s a shovel

31lifer

My Fl-20 and a pair of choppers. rotflol

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would say some type of sonar because if my battery dies I normally don’t stay out too much longer afterwards. Like eelpout said, it depends on the timing and weather. 30” of ice sucks with a hand auger, but 6″ is no sweet.

Yoshi

electronics. don’t know how people used to fish without them. I can do everything else, sit on a bucket, fish with a stick and line.

Dylan Salow

Definitely my LX-7 lithium shuttle with my bullwhips close behind

Bryan Myers

My Marcum M5 or LX6 I would have a hard time even going on the ice with out electronics.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A dependable auger, everything else after that is just convenience! rotflol

Charles

A dependable auger, everything else after that is just convenience! rotflol

Yup!!!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I would have said a flasher, until I got out on the ice Saturday night after the kids went to bed, and my 100% perfect auger of 9 years could all of sudden hardly drill a hill. I think I need to get the carb tuned up.

So an auger, literally can’t fish without one.

CBMN
    North Metro

Beer. Don’t think I could ice fish without it.

Been thru different locators, rods, augers, houses, atv’s over the past 20 years but have almost always had beer with me on the ice.

But on a more serious note, I think the single most productive lure for me is a variety of sizes and colors of Custom Jigs & Spoons Demon lures. Smaller options for panfish and perch, and larger variations for walleye, pike and trout.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Truck. Pretty vital in getting myself and all other gear to anywhere

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Fl-8 in the winter

fly rod in the spring

leaches in the summer

jarrod holbrook

Gonna go soft on you guys, but friends. Ice fishing has always been a great time with the guys.If we catch anything or not the memories, stupid stories, items dropped down the hole, and even a few mounted fish always will be there. That being said, if I forget the flasher or it won’t work then I go home immediately LOL.

sinfish

Lowrance Elite 4x Love that unit. I could not go back to a Traditional flasher.

bigpike

My Marcum M5 or LX6 I would have a hard time even going on the ice with out electronics.

X2

Tim

Have to say the leatherman on this one…

Good one. Didn’t think of that. Alright now what’s your go to lure?

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Flasher, Kdrill, live bait, QT rod, and a tunsten jig.

rippinfish

My bull whip,helps me throw a beating on crappies with #3 ripping raps,and also a great many trips fishing whitefish in green bay

Bass_attack

Helix 5 on my genz box second would be Milwaukee fuel on mora hand auger does about 400 to 600 inchs of ice on a single xc 5.0 battery

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

For ice fishing gas auger (or electric if that’s your flavor). Nothing going to happen if you can’t get through the ice. Also gps with lake maps which I can’t believe no one has said yet. Then house, heater and flasher.

Matt

milemark_714

A good fitting pair of ice creepers.If you take a good digger on the ice,all that other stuff may be no good.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

That being said, if I die, don’t give me flowers. Bring me a bunch of fishing poles and bury those with me…LOL. thanks

SW Eyes

My striker bibs with waterproof/padded knees and my Marcum.

Not fun to fish when you’re cold and/or wet, and there isn’t a peice of equipment that has improved my success rate (or anyone here, I’d imagine) like a flasher.

As mentioned, it’s also pretty hard to fish if you can’t get through the ice.

garragelogic
    Wayzata, MN

LX-9, fishing blind without it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.