GARMIN vs HELIX

• Josh Hugel

Hey guys,

Cabelas has a deal on right now for the Garmin ECHOMAP plus 95v (799.99) and also the Humminbird Helix 7 ice CHIRP G2 (779.99). I’ve heard lots of great things about both Humminbird and Garmin.

That being said, I haven’t heard much about the GARMIN echomap plus 95v for ice fishing. I believe you can buy the Garmin GT10HN-IF Ice Fishing Transducer and rig it up that way. Can anyone contest to this?

I like the Humminbird route because it seems like they have worked out all the bugs and have the sonar gps combo dialed in. But I also like GARMIN in the event I would like to upgrade to Panoptix.

Thanks in advance guys!

https://www.cabelas.ca/pages/pubs
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/599585#box

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The 93 sv and cv are awesome units. Never seen a 95v

Gunflint Trail

Josh,

I have a Helix 5 (because the battery life is better on the smaller screen). I love it and it does what it says it can. The GPS is wonderful.

I just moved to the Echomap Plus 93SV because it can run the Garmin Panoptix Livescope. I believe that Livescope will change fishing. I fish Lake Trout and love the scouting features of looking 100 feet in each direction for structure. I also have the Ice Ducer with the Garmin. Unfortunately, I have not been out on the ice to compare them yet…I can hardly wait.

Josh Hugel

Did you buy the Panoptix bundle or just the ice transducer for the Garmin?

Gunflint Trail

I bought stuff to make a portable Livescope ice package.
    -Echomap Plus 93sv (came with boat transducerthat I plan to use on boat)
    – Livescope with transducer
    – Ice package (with battery and ice transducer)
    I then made my own. It wasn’t cheap but it was what I wanted. We have yet to actually use it on the ice.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3468.jpg

Gunflint Trail

In terms of your original question, my Helix 5 is a great tool and does what it claims it will do. I loved it last winter and it was a huge help to me. I just think that the Livescope will do an even better job for me because it claims it will do things that my Helix is not capable of.

Both are valuable tools but neither the features nor the price are equal.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

The 95sv is preloaded with Canada LakeVu HD maps, which is ok if that is what you are looking for.
    I have the 93sv which is preloaded with the LakeVu Hd maps (US maps), and I love it.
    Also if you and interested in fishing Mille Lacs Garmin was up there mapping the lake in the fall. I saw four of their trucks/trailers at the public ramp at Liberty Beach. So, I followed up on the internet and saw that they were mapping.

Josh Hugel

I will be fishing mainly Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So maybe that would be a better route?

Josh Hugel

Also, do you use is ice fishing?

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Josh, since you are fishing Saskatchewan you should be able to look on Garmins website and see which lakes are mapped in your area.
    I have never used mine on the ice only in the boat, as I have a Vexilar and a Marcum for ice fishing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.