Garmin bummer

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Went to the big C store to look at locators finally today after much research, and was absolutely sold on the 73sv. Not to big nor small, I felt the Garmin had the crispest display with side imaging. Sonar I feel is pretty even across the brand board, but then lastly went into mapping. Some of my hotspots that are in the metro area, leech, woman, etc. and was quite disappointed. Sort of a beast to find them as well with no roads on display. My spots which really were initially found by my lakemaster chip in phone, or navionics app on phone simply were not there and it wasn’t even close. How is this suppose to be for every lake I fish on from here on out? I was told and read more than a few times the upgrade maps aren’t all that much better. Left without a locator and bummed. bawling

Helixs are nice but it just seems that SI view is quite fuzzy no matter the screen size. Elites are nice but the touch screen scares me. Hooks have no SI. Need to figure this out quickly doah

Reef W

That seems odd… I wonder if there is something with the display model not set up right? You probably don’t want to share your hotspots but if there is a spot you can think of that you don’t mind letting me know I can check mine to make sure it matches what you saw. I havent checked navionics on my phone much to compare since getting 73sv but the maps have been dead on for the areas I’ve fished this year.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Do you have navionics app? Just doing a comparison from my Lakemaster to that made me want to make the switch this time around, then looking at some spots on the lakevu it just isn’t that close to detail again of the navionics.

Maybe it’s just the several lakes I’ve checked around metro, outside, and few of the bigguns. Mille lacs looked pretty good although I don’t think my experience there is valid for good enough opinion.

Reef W

I can screenshot some random areas on the navionics phone app and same spot on garmin, or spots I can find a difference. It will have to be tomorrow though because apparently I left something on in boat and the battery is dead whistling

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That would be great. Assuming you have the updated maps, hopefully it was just old units

Pretty much $850 will get a 73sv with lakevu maps, or an Elite 7 ti totalscan with navionics +.

catnip
    south metro

The other thing to remember with the garmin 73sv is that you can map your spots And make them more accurate than the navionics cards or app. I have the 73sv and love it way more than the helix 5si I had. Most of the spots I fish are not mapped by anyone but me so far. And it is easy as pie, just put a blank sd card in and push a button and you Apr mapping it live on screen and it is overlayed onto the preloaded map. I have read that a 16 gig card will be enough to map a 1000 acer lake and the unit will accept a 32 gig card. If you have any other questions about the 73sv just ask.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If you are “mapping”, are you still fishing as normal, sonar on screen, perhaps SI going, etc? Or is improving the maps strictly driving s’s until you get what you want then drop a line?

I agree with the helix, although all I had was a 5 sonar/gps, never was a huge fan. I’m impressed with everything on Garmin except the mapping, lowrance is so so, kind want to getaway from Bird.

shamus
    Inactive

If you are “mapping”, are you still fishing as normal, sonar on screen, perhaps SI going, etc? Or is improving the maps strictly driving s’s until you get what you want then drop a line?

I agree with the helix, although all I had was a 5 sonar/gps, never was a huge fan. I’m impressed with everything on Garmin except the mapping, lowrance is so so, kind want to getaway from Bird.

I picked up one of the echomap units last week. No sideview on mine, but I can fish normally, use my sonar, chartplotter, and/or downview while making my own maps (called quickdraw contours). It frickin rules. The only extra you need to buy to do the mapping is a 32gb microSD card ($15 or less). Quickdraw Contours improves the maps that are built into the unit instantly, on the spot and they are detailed 1ft contour. No waiting to use them like you would have to do with Lowrance (unless they’ve changed).

catnip
    south metro

Yes it will map while si is on but need do be in split screen with a chart view on. I have mapped some of the Minn river in Jordan. Try to find a map card that has that river mapped.it is just awesome. And the option to add panoptics is just sweet!

catnip
    south metro

It seems to map a path about as wide as the si is looking. It shows up as a green path on the chart screen while its mapping. You will see a fer contour lines when its mapping but when you end the mapping session the details really show up. If you want to see it in action maby we meet at the river sometime soon just let me know.

Reef W

Here is an album with a few comparison shots. I have Leech, Bald Eagle, White Bear, Osakis, and Woman in there. http://imgur.com/a/U6vbh

Reef W

You can also copy the built in map to the SD card and view it on your PC in the Homeport program. In Homeport you can make routes or make/edit waypoints and then merge it back into your unit. Here’s a screenshot of Homeport with one of my tracks selected.

Attachments:
    1. homeport.png

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I really appreciate all that you provided here. toast

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Giving more thought on maps, there were times I wasn’t happy with LM, others definitely not happy with Nav either. The ability to “upgrade” the charts simply by fishing and have the mapping on became a no brainer for me. I will always have the Nav app on the phone if Lakevu really ain’t cutting it for the body of water I’m on, then it’s chart time.

The charting option was not brought to my attention while shopping.

Looking forward to trying this new technology out, and superstoked to have side imaging. Hopefully get it installed next couple days.

Info was greatly appreciated toast

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

No mapping from any vendor is perfect. Rivers change all the time. The quick draw feature takes mapping problems out of play. Just invest some time & it doesn’t get any better.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ll be doing an update once I get more time on the water with it, but so far absolutely impressed.

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Also remember there are different setting the maps can be on as far as detail sometimes display units get the detail turned all the way down. If you bump it up to most the detail is amazing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I will need to look into that. Much I haven’t explored into the unit yet.

The maps are accurate, but the detail simply isn’t there. If that can be a simple adjustment awesome, but the mapping is ok IMO. Which is fine bc after some configuring I will be getting another unit strictly for maps with nav+. Can it update the maps, yes, but don’t want to have to zigzag structure everywhere I go to get a good idea of what’s going on. I feel like I’m driving around more with this unit scanning and striking out on areas, but fishing alot of unfamiliar waters nowadays so taking it easy on forming to harsh opinions right away.

Can’t say enough good about the unit otherwise though. Extremely impressed with everything else and couldn’t be happier with the unit. Clarity is amazing.

eric borkoski

I second Danny’s response.
    I have had quite a few people tell me they were disappointed in the mapping on there new Garmin unit, but after going in and seeing their map detail was set on “normal” and then we switch it to “most” it really improves the detail.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.