Future for Vexilar?

• Muhamed Hodzic

Have a Fl20 that I am happy with but cannot ignore the new devices from marcum and Garmin packing a load features and abilities. Does anyone know what’s in store for the future of vexilar? I am loyal to them for a number of reasons, but feel analog flashers are at their peek, and unless vexilar is going to introduce something for a new frontier, I will be forced to move to other manufacturers.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Marcum doesn’t really offer much more in the way of features. If you’re talking about panoptics for Garmin, well the price is going to be a factor. Everyone can use the GPS on their phone so there really isn’t much of an advantage either.

The fact that you are still using an FL20 is proof that Vexilar isn’t going anywhere. Their units are durable, sensitive, simple and last forever. There will always be a market for that.

feel analog flashers are at their peek

They’ve been at a peak for 25 years.

and unless vexilar is going to introduce something for a new frontier, I will be forced to move to other manufacturers.

They will, but don’t expect anything ground shattering like panoptics but there will be advances to keep sales moving forward.

Muhamed Hodzic

I guess my main “want” is a built in Gps for lake maps therefore requiring vex to launch a traditional lcd unit. I use navionics and feel it’s inconsistent at times, which can be frustrating when your having a tough day.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Many, many units have come and gone but for my money I’m sticking with simple and effective. Young people without the years of experience always think there’s a shortcut and don’t take time to learn. My Helix stays in the boat, I’m a winter vex guy. Summer is a whole different world.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Johnson Outdoors is not going to give Lakemaster to Vexilar. Therefore, your phone is going to be as good as anything.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

but feel analog flashers are at their peek

Other than controlling interference, flashers peaked back in the days of of the lowrance green box and the super sixty six. All Sitex did was add color and sold the company

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Johnson Outdoors is not going to give Lakemaster to Vexilar. Therefore, your phone is going to be as good as anything.

I can’t tell you how many times my navionics app and other lake map apps have been wrong when it comes to depth and structure. They can be accurate but they certainly are not up to the standard that the Lakemaster chips are. I see that as a huge advantage that the Helix units have. I run a Helix 7 and a FL-18. I use the Helix as my primary but the Vex will always be there. They just don’t die and find fish just as well as all the flashy new sonars.

kidfish

Hard to argue with a Vexilar because they’re nearly bulletproof. I’ll keep using my FL20 until I quit fishing.
    I may buy a 2nd ice box and start using my lowrance from the boat for gps if needed.
    I know sponsorship is a big thing, but I noticed James finally dropped Marcum and switched to Humminbird. I don’t think the RT9 went as well as some thought.

Muhamed Hodzic

I tried to curb the map issue by buying a nice handheld and that just crapped out but topography difference was night and day. I have no faith in the cell phone, I take it with a big grain of salt. I used to live on lake Harriet during a period where I received 3 map updates and it would be a major major difference every time. Garmin just released the new gpsmaps66 but at $400, I’m in the neighborhood of the RT9 if I sold my vex, but as others pointed out earlier, i don’t know much about their longevity yet. First world problems.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Do you keep it updated? How close is close enough for you. I’m betting we all have a different answer for that question. I use my vex for honing in.

Muhamed Hodzic

I don’t worry about depth accuracy within x ft I care more about structure accuracy. I searched this hump in the southern basin of Harriet, after spending 5 hrs over three outings I concluded it does not exist. I update it regularly. Might try the app referenced by ido and compare maps.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I searched this hump in the southern basin of Harriet, after spending 5 hrs over three outings I concluded it does not exist.

Harriet is what…less than 500 acres? You could easily have found fish holding structure in a lot less time on that small water body. They’re spread out beyond that nonexistent hump.

If you’re planning on pioneering across big lakes with large expanses, perhaps the finite GPS mapping would be of greater value.

Vexilar is not in that market, plenty other’s are. Vexilar’s success is staying with their core products that have endured the test of time and abuse.

I do believe if you’re interested, the Marcum RT-9 can be had for a mere $500 brand new. crazy

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Can’t you buy the LM on your phone with the fishSmart app? Pretty sure that was on this weekends ML episode. I get the lakes are not super cheap if you want a ton of them, but you can combine the latest technology on your phone with a reliable sonar unit like a vex. To me the selling point isn’t so much what they can or can’t do, but rather I will still own it another 10 years from now or sell it for about 80% what I paid. There is no way a lot of the “screen” units will be on the ice in 10 years. Think about the original handled or mapping units that came out. If they still work, finding the cards are impossible and all 10 years out dated with no more manufacturer support.

Muhamed Hodzic

Harriet is what…less than 500 acres? You could easily have found fish holding structure in a lot less time on that small water body. They’re spread out beyond that nonexistent hump.

-I’ve fished Harriet around 50 times due to its convenience and wanted to explore/fish all the spots. it looked tasty

Muhamed Hodzic

Thanks I couldn’t remember the app name gonna look that up now.

Ice Cap

Vex will always have it market share. But they are what they are and with a mechanical flasher there is not much you can do to improve upon it. The digital display units will continue to add technology. Bird, Garmin and Marcum are going to continue to push the technology trying to be the first with improvements. Some of it’s just going to be gadgetry and some of it real advancements like the Panoptix. The prices will come down eventually.

I love my Helix and the ability to have maps, 2D and flasher all on split screens is just dang nice. I always hated fumbling with my phone on the ice. I’ve always wondered how many phones are at the bottom of Red and LOTW.

Muhamed Hodzic

Holy crap that fish smart app gets expensive. $30 just for Mille lacs topography.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

-I’ve fished Harriet around 50 times due to its convenience and wanted to explore/fish all the spots. it looked tasty

It is, stick with it. Weedlines that have hard bottom next to soft.

Andy, not sure what you define as easy, but hauling gear by foot and punching holes on a lake that has quite a bit of structure isn’t what I’d call it.

Holy crap that fish smart app gets expensive. $30 just for Mille lacs topography.

Another thing I didn’t like, when I read the fine print a couple years ago, as I read it, that $$$ is only for map access for a single year. I bit the bullet and got Mille and a few other lakes I like to frequent when the app first came out. I emailed Johnson Outdoors about the terms, but never heard back on that query. Luckily, I still have all my purchases in the owned category of SmartStrike.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

The prices will come down eventually.

The price on these doesn’t seem to move downward very much. An FL-8 is still pushing 300.00 which is what I paid for my first one in ’97. The RT-9 was a disaster the first time out. So when they release version 2.0, do they drop the price to get them in the public’s hands and get some positive talk going? Nah, same price point as before. This is one area of life where electronics don’t go down in price. No off brand manufacturers driving the price down with cheap components.

As far as the future of Vexilar. I doubt they go digital anytime soon. They have the mechanical flasher down pat and there is still a huge market for it.

Longevity still matters in the disposable world we live in. They are one of the few companies that really take pride in the fact that their products are still going strong 20yrs later. Most companies would be belly up if they couldn’t sell you something to replace their last product that died after 3 years.

I think we’ve cleary reached peak vexilar as far as new sales. Used vexilars will go on forever.

And, from what I’m seeing prices have started to budge. Especially on the Marcum end, but also Vex. Unless growth in participation can continue to grow at the clip of the past decades, prices will decline as replacement anglers turn to newer technologies. Nobody will want “boomer’s” vex in a few years. One dimensional kluged data of a spatial reality will be unacceptable. I’ve only turned a vexilar on this ice season twice and I fish 3-4 days a week. I still love my vexilars, just hard to go back.

Ice Cap

I guess what I was thinking but just didn’t express very well was that as new technologies emerge the previous technology will be available at cheaper prices. This could be from retailers shelves or on the slightly used markets like CL and FB Marketplace. I think it’s the secondary market that could eventually bleed from the mechanical flasher market.

As stated there are no cheap knock offs of any of these product lines. They enjoy a open market not flooded with competition. There’s a reason you can’t buy this stuff at Wal Mart. Vexilar has an advantage of lower tech mechanical technology but not exactly cheap either. What’s a new FL28 $600? at that price I’m guessing they work on a higher profit margin than the digital competition. If Vex didn’t build them to last they wouldn’t last in the marketplace. That’s their calling card. Reliability. If they built them cheaply that would drive their customer base to the digital market place.

The digital folks have the advantage of having new technology to sell to it’s customers every few years. There are a lot of folks myself included to a degree that will continue to chase the new technology.

Overall it’s a win win for all of us I think.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Muhamed Hodzic wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

It is, stick with it. Weedlines that have hard bottom next to soft.

Andy, not sure what you define as easy, but hauling gear by foot and punching holes on a lake that has quite a bit of structure isn’t what I’d call it.

My apologies, I did come across arrogant and I wasn’t trying. “grumpy old man” syndrome I suppose. tongue

I was thinking about fishing a lake over 132,000 acres wanting GPS, a lake <500 acres I would just hop around…but I’ve walked out with gear in tow and agree it’s not always easy.

I’ve always wondered how many phones are at the bottom of Red and LOTW.

No more excuses now, these can be had for about $10, and you can attach the lanyard to your self and likely never need to find out if it floats. smile

Attachments:
    1. waterproof-phone-case.jpg

kidfish

What’s a new FL28 $600? at that price I’m guessing they work on a higher profit margin than the digital competition.

As someone that’s sold them for a few years, I can tell you that at $600 the dealers are making little to no profit in that price, especially if the customer uses a credit card.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a Vexilar FL28, FL18, and still a old FL-8. All still working just fine. Never had a issue with any of them. Took a rather new fishermen out over the weekend. He had some type of a Hummingbird unit. Between the unit and his other gear ( Rod and lures ) He struggled rather bad on Sat. Only catching 1-2 fish ( in 6 hrs ) while myself and another buddy did real well ( well over 100 fish ) I offered to help get him set up with one of my extra rods ( didn’t want to give up my fl28 ) He said he way fine and enjoyed just fishing and watching what we were doing. The next morning he once again decided to join us. As he got out of his truck he started to head my way with his flasher and rod. I told him to put his back I had him all setup. After giving him a quick demo on the fl28 and the rod ( spring bobber setup ) I left him to go back to fishing myself ( Had the backup fl18 ) after only a few minutes he was already catching fish. He came over in about a 1/2 hr and said he had already caught at least 10X more fish than the day before. He ended up having a blast and caught a good amount of fish. Needless to say he was going shopping Mon. morning for a new Flasher ( Vexilar ) and a new spring bobber rod and some new lures. I’m not sure what more anyone would want out of a ice unit than what the vexilar does. I use my cell phone for all my mapping and don’t see the need for it in a unit.

B-man

I have a Vexilar FL28, FL18, and still a old FL-8. All still working just fine. Never had a issue with any of them. Took a rather new fishermen out over the weekend. He had some type of a Hummingbird unit. Between the unit and his other gear ( Rod and lures ) He struggled rather bad on Sat. Only catching 1-2 fish ( in 6 hrs ) while myself and another buddy did real well ( well over 100 fish ) I offered to help get him set up with one of my extra rods ( didn’t want to give up my fl28 ) He said he way fine and enjoyed just fishing and watching what we were doing. The next morning he once again decided to join us. As he got out of his truck he started to head my way with his flasher and rod. I told him to put his back I had him all setup. After giving him a quick demo on the fl28 and the rod ( spring bobber setup ) I left him to go back to fishing myself ( Had the backup fl18 ) after only a few minutes he was already catching fish. He came over in about a 1/2 hr and said he had already caught at least 10X more fish than the day before. He ended up having a blast and caught a good amount of fish. Needless to say he was going shopping Mon. morning for a new Flasher ( Vexilar ) and a new spring bobber rod and some new lures. I’m not sure what more anyone would want out of a ice unit than what the vexilar does. I use my cell phone for all my mapping and don’t see the need for it in a unit.

Years ago I upgraded my FL-18 to a Bird 45, the 45 is far superior…..

Moveable zoom, two cone angles, digital depth display, built in battery gauge, bigger display, no sun shield, etc

Vexilar basically copied Humminbird when they made the Fl-28

Just because he was a shitty fisherman doesn’t mean his graph was lol

papaperch

Ok just some food for thought. One of the biggest arguments in the support of Vexilars. Is thier longevity. Which is absolutely true.

So sun dials are even better in longevity. But are they easy to strap on your wrist ? It can be used to tell time. But there are other options that can do that + more.

Vexilar or any flasher is a one trick pony. What it does it does well. It is the sun dial of fish finder technology.

hnd

lets remove panoptix/livescope from this conversation just due to the enormous price tag. but you can get lcd sonar units for about the same price as high end mechanical flashers. So if all things being equal price is the same why would you buy a mechanical?

I have a 798, lx5, and vx1 pro. I basically use the lx5 most of the time.

because ice fishing is stationary, the only gain you have from an lcd sonar is GPS and historical graphing. GPS would be useful but historical graphing does absolutely nothing for me. some also prefer the lcd to blinking lights.

for me mechanical serves all the purposes i need in that piece of equipment. Its pretty much bullet proof.

Its like guys who wear micky mouse boots.

Slabhunter

I wonder how this season will affect Marcum & Vexilar, the 2 electronics mfgs who primarily focus on ice fishing, and then you have Clam and a few others based here in MN? I know in my area we have maybe 1/10th of the normal number of people out ice fishing this year. On lakes that normally have 100 permanent houses out there is 10, 200 normally and now only 20 and the portable fishing is way down too with no truck traffic for the most part and no roads plowed to “villages”. Unless ice fishing is booming in other ice belt states I’d say there’s not much electronics (and other stuff) being sold in year like this unfortunately.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wonder how this season will affect Marcum & Vexilar, the 2 electronics mfgs who primarily focus on ice fishing, and then you have Clam and a few others based here in MN? I know in my area we have maybe 1/10th of the normal number of people out <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing this year. On lakes that normally have 100 permanent houses out there is 10, 200 normally and now only 20 and the portable fishing is way down too with no truck traffic for the most part and no roads plowed to “villages”. Unless <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing is booming in other ice belt states I’d say there’s not much electronics (and other stuff) being sold in year like this unfortunately.

I think it’s been tough for many of the companies. With the northern part of the state blanketed with snow and slush and everywhere else being so mild, it doesn’t sound like it’s been a hot year for many of the companies, especially on the electronics side of things.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.