Big V icing up.

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hey Guys,
    Lake Vermilion has ice cover in most of the smaller back bays. The main lake is still open however, one good calm night may take care of that.
    Looks like we could be ice fishing by the end of the month, at least a few of you more adventurous guys. I will wait until I can drive on it.

Pike bay already has about 2 inches of solid ice and we are expecting a
    lot of cold nights in the next several days. Time to get that gear ready for the hard water season.

“Ace”

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

wow, 2 inches? Surprised the “adventurous” aren’t fishing it yet with that much!

guideman

Our short lived warm period last week, melted a lot of ice. It could be a while before we get a decent ice cover now. Highs in the mid 30’s and lows in the 20’s don’t make much ice. Unless we get a return to some of those early November temps, it may be December before we get to go fishing again.

“Ace”

guideman

Warm weather continues to slow down the ice up, here on Lake Vermilion.
    we are expecting much colder night time temp this week so things should start to freeze up much faster as we
    move into early December.

“Ace”

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Terry,

How is the ice up there…we will be up there again for Christmas and want to get some hardwater fishing in…pm or email me at [email protected] and maybe we can hook up (i can never find this darn page)

D

guideman

Ice conditions haven’t improved much this week because of all the warm wet weather. We are fishing however, and the bite has been pretty good.
    The Mckinley park area has about 7 inches of good clear ice and all the snow has melted off the surface.

There are a few shacks already out but I think I’m gong to wait a while for a little more ice. The weather is going to cool down up here after this weekend however I don’t know if it’s going to get really cold. Just use common sense when venturing out on the lake. Things should be much better after Christmas, at least I hope so.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

“Ace”

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

How about this week…hoping to come up over New Years (or soooner, FIL is in the hospital up there)

D

guideman

We now have 14 inches of good solid clear ice in the Mckinley park area of Big bay. We have been driving on it for about a week now. The fishing has been good for me this week, we have been catching a good number of Jumbo perch along with the walleyes.

Small glow jigs and spoons have been the ticket. Tip them with a minnow head and you’re in business. Early morning and the middle/late of the afternoon have been the best time to be on the ice.
    Happy New Year!!

“Ace”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.