cold water or low water

• MTNet
    Champlin

This may be early, but I have plenty of time to think about things while creeping down 169 into Edina.

For us, last spring was very slow. Never found the walleyes on opener but did mark suspended fish at around 12′ in 25′-30′ of water. The dock bite and shallow point locations were marginal at best throughout the spring season. It seems that the walleyes went deep from day one, just after spawn. We finally found them in 28′ + and had a great time. Spinner rigs out fished a jig/minnow or leech. Vermilion had a low water level and cold temps. July’s rains actually raised the levels a bit.

So this spring, with the lack of snow, should we expect low water levels again? So was it the cold temps that pushed the walleyes deep, or was it the low lake level? And what do you think we can expect for this season concerning both walleyes and muskies?

Anonymous

Although opener was tough for most-we found fish in all but a handful of our regular spots. We start fishing the Thursday after opening-not the opening weekend. We too marked fish in deeper water and saw eyes on the camera deep, but the feeders (and nicer fish last year, most from 16-21″) were in 15′. We focused on narrows and points. We didnt fish any river/creek inlets (we didnt have to), but during slow years, moving water on Vermilion can be productive when nothing else works. Last year was slower, but we still caught good numbers of fish.

One other thing, we have a spot on Big Bay that produces tons of fish every year from 6-9pm. I never knew what held fish here, there is little structure and nothing unusual. However, last year with the camera we found that TONS of larve was rising. It is a softer bottom w/ no snags, but not mud.

The one thing that has worked for me on Vermilion is to remember that there are a TON of fish and some are always feeding. Marking fish does not mean catching fish. Focus on the shallows where there might be 5-10 feeders on a spot or fish moving through an area. We often take limits off a spot and only see a fish every 30 seconds or so w/ a camera. But the ones that are there are hungry.

Cant wait for May!

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi Guys,

Unless we have a real wet spring we may be facing some very low water conditions again this year. Last season was very unusal because we had warm weather very early and then it got cold again. Water temps had been in the high 40’s and then tumbled into the low 30’s just before the opener.

As the old saying goes, “When the water is high, fish them shallow, when the water is low, fish them deep”. I was able to catch fish in many of my regular spring locations. I used different presentations and fished them at different times of the day. The evening bite on the Big V is by far the best of the day. Slip bobbers over points or shoreline breaks, is one of the best early season tactics I have found.

Trolling minnow style crankbaits can also be very effective in the right situations. A fast moving bait can trigger fish that have been looking at jigs and livebait rigs all day.

The low water didn’t seem to affect the muskies to much, although the cold spring temps did delay their spawn.

MTNet
    Champlin

Last season was different, we really missed the dock bite. Nothing like kicking back in a chair with a thermos of coffee, while watching the the red glow from the lighted bobber as it slowly sinks below the surface.

We found a nice point with subtle structure in Big Bay that also is a great producer. The trouble is that it can get pretty crowded. We also found a good spot by accident. Had trolling motor problems (getting a new one this spring), and with the wind drifted away from the structure we were working. Caught a few walleyes in what appeared to be out in the middle of nowhere, but noticed the depthfinder was showing a few small reefs and marked fish.

Low water may not affect the muskies, but it sure plays havoc on the lower unit and bottom of the boat. Many new scratches. Have to learn to trim up the motor more when casting.

Yep, 77 days to the walleye opener, getting anxious.

MuskyTom
    Mallard Island, Lake Vermilion, Tower Minnesota

MT NET

Best way to find stuff sometimes is to just drift around and fish a fishy looking spot, keeping and eye on the depth finder and WOW!
    Stuff just show up!
    Cool.
    Nothing like getting Walleyes off the dock at opener.
    From the lake to the pan in minutes.
    Mmmmm.
    How long did you say it was till opener?
    LOL

T.

guideman

Hi guys,

Some of my best walleye spots were found totally by accident. Like Tommy said, always keep an eye on your electronics, you may just find something nobody else knows about……except me.

MTNet
    Champlin

Guideman, how’s the weather up there? I understand it is cold and snowing. Well, on the brighter side, at least it will add to the lake level somewhat. Looks like opener will be cold and low. Spring seems to be keeping away from us.

guideman

Hey MT,The weather up here sucks! Highs only in the 30’s and 40’s here all next week. It could be a close call as to when we will have open water, Pike bay hasen’t come close to any signs of opening up. It is 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the main lake most of the time so it will be tough making it by opener. The DNR has yet to open the hatchery and it’s mid April already.

MTNet
    Champlin

Pike Bay still not open??!! Then I suppose the Pike River isn’t flowing either. Wow, in the past, my brother-in-law was usually done “squeezing” the walleyes by April 20th, and all our equipment in the lake by the following weekend. Doesn’t look that way this year.

Now what? High anxiety for the opener! Ice or no ice, I’ll be there. Kept off the lake, no walleye dinner? Fire up the Weber to start the season, and cry over a sirlion smoked with oak, garlic mashed potatoes…

Keep high hopes! Ice will be gone by the June opener??!!…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.