Countdown to the Big V!!!

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

For those of us that are going, and perhaps this is a bit premature, but let the countdown begin for Vermilion next week!!!

Not sure when all you guys are coming up, Bobby and I will be on the water by dawn on Tuesday morning. I’ll be sure to say “hi” to a few of the 50+ audience before you get there.

In advance I propose a gentlmen’s wager…

$1 On the first?
    $1 On the biggest?
    $1 On the most?
    (Pike don’t count)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I was just thinking about you, Bob, Dan and Max making this trip the other day. I hope you guys tear ’em up.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Funny…I clicked on the post thinking I was going to read about some poor [censored] that was about to have a Vasectomy! …RR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was thinking Vegas.

$1 for the most and best pictures!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

I’ll gladly concede my 3$ Looking forward to it big guy! If everything travels well we should be on the water by 2 on Tuesday. Prelim weather forcast looks very fishy

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Bob was preparing today when I stopped at the bank. He was cooking outside in his Snosuit. I stood in my polo short sleeve shirt and chatted. Must be his balk head releasing all the heat. Good luck up north.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Bzzsaw and I will be rolling in Tuesday night just in time for a drink or 10. I too will gladly donate my $3.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Tuesday can’t get here quick enough. My wife has been laughing at me because I started packing my bag on Monday night.

Talk about being able to relate to James’s “Out of my mind excited” post.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Tommy said, “holy @#%$, she ate that bait like a ritz cracker!”

Bob Bowman
    MN

One of my favorites….sun set on the big lake

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Love the “scenic” pictures fellas, and Tommy’s Ritz\Rock Biter, but this is what I am interested in…

Simmering Stone Soup Stir

After seeing that mid 50’s fish Bob had up last year struggle to make the turns (over, and over, and over again) cuz she was just TOO FAT, all I have been dreaming about is giving the Milavetz-Gallop-Milavetz whiplash lawsuit inducing hookset to a sumo boatside.

Cheers to the first 10 times each of us sets the hook on the water covered earth, hopefully nobody dislocates an elbow.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Two from last week. Not the 50+, but a start.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

In advance I propose a gentlmen’s wager…

$1 On the first?
    $1 On the biggest?
    $1 On the most?
    (Pike don’t count)

I will also donate 3 dollars.

Anyone interested in more of a non-Gentlemans bet?

Since I haven’t caught a fish on Vermillion the only 2 times I’ve been there, I figure I must be due.

How about the big fish thru Saturday night gets to pick a bait of their choice from each of the other guys boxes? Not that I am much of a gambler, but I figure I should have at least 1 bait left by Saturday night.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

First aid kit……..CHECK!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Bob,
    Thanks again for setting up an awesome trip. I hope to be able to do it again next year. I forgot to pay up on the gentlemans bet. Hopefully our paths will cross again before next year so I can settle up.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How’d the rest of the trip turn out, Bob?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Bob,
    Thanks again for setting up an awesome trip. I hope to be able to do it again next year. I forgot to pay up on the gentlemans bet. Hopefully our paths will cross again before next year so I can settle up.

I never did get to look in your tackle box

I think truly what measures the greatness of any trip is the guys you share your time with and let me tell you, this was one of the best trips to Big V for me. Thanks for a great trip guys

We fished hard and saw very few fish, the bright blue skies didn’t help matters any. We had 11 guys up this year and between all of us it was very hard to find any kind of pattern. Even with fishing slow, this was a great time. Good food, good laughs and great folks. I managed to land a giant rock, hook set felt great I also hooked into a really old fishing pole…anyone missing this??

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Here’s the group of slingers. The cabin handled everyones gear and rigs perfectly. Next year the basin beasts are in real trouble

Bob Bowman
    MN

What is Tommy doing to Max and where is Mr. Clark?? Next year

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

What is Tommy doing to Max and where is Mr. Clark?? Next year

You’ll have to ask Tommy but Max is sure grinning Bret would probably fit in ok Next year, let’s hope that the timing is finally there, we are due!!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

I’ll have more pics soon, sadly tho, not of fish The only real pattern we could find is that you would see one fish a day with most being resident fish. Did manage to get one HALF way into the net but the mid thirties ski was a Houdini on speed. Tommy felt bad about the getaway but told him that I lost interest in the fish half way to the boat when seeing it’s size. Not what we were there for, so yes, our expectations are huge for this lake at this time of year We did cover a tremendous amount of water and rock but with the Tullies stuck back into a pre spawn funk the fat mamas had little reason to be belly huggin the reefs and points. Learned a ton of new stuff about areas and angles tho so like Bob mentioned, a few more pieces of the puzzle are in place, now it’s a matter of timing and hoping the water temps are 40 and less the next time we invade.

Awesome time and to top off everything, I only had to
    witness one swim bait sailing off into the horizon with an incredible 300 ft. cast Bombs away MOFO

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.