Rainy Lake report 08-12 to 08-14

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well I made my maiden voyage to Rainy Lake last week and was not disappointed. We got an early start on Thursday and were on the water in search of our campsite by 9:30. We set up camp and got to fishing. Thursday was beautiful sunny, light winds and good fishing. Most fish were caught with bottom bouncer/spinner combo with crawlers. We did not catch as many fish as I had hoped but the overall size structure was impressive. I caught about 15 Walleyes over 20 inches with the largest going 24 in 3 days. My buddies found some smaller fish using live bait rigs and leeches or minnows. Friday was a little tougher to get fish but we still got enough to put a meal on the table. Saturday the wind blew pretty good making boat control and catching fish a challege. Speed seemed to be a key to catching fish with most fish being caught a little slower than my usual speed about .8 to 1.0 mph. The best depth seemed to be 22 to 30 feet. Saturday evening produces some weather and with big winds forecasted for Sunday we broke camp early Sunday morning and came home. We had a couple of cool/unusual events, my buddies saw a timber wolf swimming in a bay and I caught what I think was a Blue Walleye . I have heard of them before, does anyone know if they are in Rainy Lake. It really looked a lot different than the other fish with a real bluish tint, pretty cool, it was about 20 inches and no pictures. Rainy Lake is a beautiful place and I will be back hopefully in the near future.

arklite881south

Quote:

We had a couple of cool/unusual events, my buddies saw a timber wolf swimming in a bay and I caught what I think was a Blue Walleye . I have heard of them before, does anyone know if they are in Rainy Lake.

Hi Midnight Glad you had a nice trip. As far as a true “Blue Walleye” goes yes there are genuine Blue walleyes in the lake, but extremely rare. There is a more common blue tinting through the fins and tails of some of the walleyes. In my opinion the “Blue Walleye” is a pretty silver colored walleye with blue shades. I’ve only seen one in my lifetime.

Regardless the walleye you caught with the tinting is a very cool fish, and I’ve tried capture the coloration on several occassions with my camera with no success.

Very cool seeing the Timberwolf in the bay!! We see some from our house in the middle of the winter crossing the back bay in our spotting scope. Very Very fun!!

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

Can you idle that skeeter down to .8mph??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Can you idle that skeeter down to .8mph??

With the T8 / T9.9 you should be able to hit 0.5 – 0.7 mph on the low end with out any issues.

Bowjunkie

Didn’t you use your marcum?

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

Can you tell the difference between a normal walleye and a blue walleye with a Marcum?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.