So is it worth RISKING YOUR LIFE for???

• arklite881south

I had an evening off guiding, so there were a few spots I really wanted to try. First spot was a small rock pile coming up to 13 feet surrounded by 20 f.o.w. Found it right away with my Lakemaster Chip. Few walleyes on it, and managed a couple small ones. Off to the next spot. On my second cast I land a nice 22 inch walleye. Next cast get half of my minnow cut off clean. 2 more casts later Get drilled only to feel my jig pop out. Wow There are big fish here. THEN! Daily thunderstorm knocks on my door. As I sit there slinging jigs I ponder leaving these fish, or toughing it out. Now it is mushrooming into a doozer!!!; LIGHTNING Check, THUNDER Check, WIND RU KIDDING ME CHECK!, RAIN Check. I’m still getting fish, and know that if I had clients on board we’d be heading for shore. In the back of my mind I’m thinking of all the campers in VNP huddled up in there tents. Surely I’m at no more risk than they are, and I’m laying the wood to nice walleyes. Oooh Cell phone call from the Fishing Queen. “Are you on the Water?” Aaaaaaah Maybe? There are no fish worth risking your life for she says!! Hmnnnnnnnnnn! I agree there are no fish worth dying for, but… Alright I headed out, and left the frenzy feeding fat Rainy Walleyes AGAIN for Lightning! I think one of these tackle companies should come out with a lightning shield line “Raingear for the RISKY” I’d still be out there putting the beans to them if I had some.

Oh well tomorrow there will be no mercy!

FYI I’m working rock piles close to shore. If these rock piles are connected via an underwater ridge to a shore line all the better. These underwater ridges connected to the shorelines are acting as a bit of a funnel with the current being pushed to the saddle. A Rainy Lake Wing dam if you will. Feather your jig up top (1/8 oz will likely be your best option unless fishing in high wind) Don’t anchor on the rock pile, or you might as well just have a sandwich. Anchor off the pile out deeper being careful not to spook the fish. Keep your rod tip high (Unless excessive lightning abounds) pop it and swim it just above the rocks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.