WHOA!!! Paddletails on Rainy Lake Walleyes!!!

• arklite881south

Hey Guys,

After watching James and Steve lay the wood to the Walleyes on ringworms and paddletails while fishing the Rainy river I have been really itching to give them a swing here on our walleye factory. Long casting jigs are my game, and these babies rock. I haven’t been fishing eyes on the lake for awhile as I’ve been chasing crappies. I overheard some people saying the bite was “TOUGH”. I was a bit skeptical when I left my dock late morning with no live bait. Wow!!! Lights out with these plastics. I had my best luck with the 3.25 Chartruese pepper paddletails, but also did well on the 4 inch chartruese/orange ringworm, and the paddletail in the firecracker with a chartruesse tail. The fish absolutely inhaled the whole deal!! I was fishing alone, so was only able to snap some pics of fish in the net until a buddy of mine ran into me on the lake and took a digital of one of the victims. He said “What the heck are you using??” I threw him a couple and he proceeded to hook a big fish and get snapped off. I love the fact that these plastics cast long, and the fish really attacked them. Likely mimicking our perch forage fish here in optimum size and color. GOOD STUFF!!! Every fish I caught was 19 inches or over with the biggest going 23. Was snapped off by a walleye easily going 8-10lbs right at the boat. GRRRR! FYI change fireline every year. It definately will weather and lose a lot of strength. After getting snapped off by the boat with very minimal pressure on that big female I hastily grabbed my line and found I was easily able to snap it over and over. GRRRRR! Also landed two girthy pike!

Another point worth mentioning is that often times if a bite is determined to be “Tough” People immediately tend to downsize, and slow down a live bait presentation. For the record I was snap jigging plastics, and felt like I was a fat seal swimming over great whites. Sometimes a fast moving snapping will trigger fish in a nuetral mood, and certainly did the trick today. Looks like I will be adding some more tricks to my tool box with this line of plastics. Hello Ringworms and Paddletails welcome to Rainy Lake! Sorry Walleyes!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.