W. & E. Battle Lakes

• baldwin4
    NE IA

Taking a family vacation the middle of June and staying on East Battle Lake. Have never fished this area and loking for any insight on the lakes or lakes in the are.

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

My parents live in Fergus Falls and I get the chance to fish Ottertail Lake pretty regularly. Should be a decent bite up there early to mid June. The night bite is usually really good if you can sneak away after the fam goes to bed.

Check out the lake map because that bad boy is a roller coaster. Plenty of places to rig or pull bottom bouncers with a spinner that time of year.

Trev from Vactionland is on IDO quite a bit. Hopefully he can chime in on this post too.

Can’t leave without grabbing a pizza from Zorbaz on the lake. Even better take your boat to Zorbaz, tie off on their dock, and have them bring pizza and a pitcher out to ya! That is a must on that lake.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Thanx Matt…..Will have to stop in to Zorbaz

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

You should have a good time on E Battle. It’s a good multi-species lake, lots of panfish and bass, and the walleye population is pretty strong, but for some reason it seems they’re quite elusive on E Battle. Other than that, I can’t help you much, haven’t fished that lake since the mid-80’s. I would think though in June you’d have a pretty decent shot at some decent eyeball action.

If you feel like venturing to different lakes, you’ve got a thousand to choose from within an hours drive….. Any species you want, the opportunity is right there. Matt is right about Otter Tail, there should be a strong eye bite going there, as well as other lakes like Rush, Silver, West Battle, and Big and Little Pine. West Battle also has muskies if that interests ya.

Feel free to stop by Vacationland for a or for the latest info on OT if you decide to venture out there for some eyes or jumbo perch.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Thanx Trevor…..we will be hitting different lakes in the area. Will stop in, looking to fish Otter Tail Lake while we are there.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Sounds good, look forward to meeting ya. You’ll love the Battle Lake / Ottertail area.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Kraig, That is God’s country up there in Ottertail County, man. The fishing in June should be outstanding. East Battle has some nice ‘eyes but it is really loaded with Pike. Snap on some cranks and troll the edge of the developing weedlines to get after large number of pike. If they are really going crazy you might want to pinch the barbs on your crank hooks to protect the fish if you are releasing a lot of them. It can get that crazy there. I’ve caught eyes around the narrows that separates the north and south portions of the lake, and you can fish the two points that stick out of the peninsula just to the north of those narrows.

Ottertail and Rush Lake are good options in that area. Trev can help you with Ottertail. Rush has some nice underwater islands that hold walleye. There easy enough to find if you have a lakemaster of navionics map.

You should also be able to find LM Bass in the cat tails and pencil reeds on all the lakes in that area in June. Spinners and plastic worms work well in those areas.

Have fun, Kraig!

baldwin4
    NE IA

Wow..thanx for the info Wade. Now my blood is pumping and I can’t wait to go I do have the Navionics card. We will definately be hitting other lakes in the area.

cdn
    West Central, MN

East Battle is a wonderful lake for ALL species! I frequent EB for multi-species fun. Walleyes bite best early morning/evening, but I’ve managed some during mid-day in June as well.

Like already mentioned, lots of pike roam this lake and a huge majority of these fish are small. It’s my understanding these fish are stunted. I think the largest pike I’ve caught out there is 22″. A few years back the DNR experimented with a 22″+ release to increase the size and it didn’t pan out very well. IMO they just don’t grow.

I’ll agree with others…can’t beat Otter Tail for walleyes.

You will have endless lakes to fish, so I hope you have enough time because time flys around here…

baldwin4
    NE IA

Thanx Chuck. Where I work we have a 2 week shutdown. Supervisor said our dept. gets first week off and some of us have to work the 2nd week. Hope they change their mind on running that certain line. If they do change their mind, I might be there for 2 weeks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.