West Wind Resort Sleeper

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Made a Christmas break trip to Upper Red Lake with my two kids (ages 6 & 10) and my Dad. We rented a deluxe sleeper shack from West Wind Resort. It turned out to be a fantastic trip.

We arrived around 1pm on Thursday and stayed until
    Saturday morning. The sleeper shack was well positioned. My daughter was reeling in our first fish, a perch, within 10 minutes of our arrival. The bite was pretty decent throughout but we did have some really nice flurries of activity and a couple of lulls of an hour or more without fish. I didn’t bring the clicker but would guess we pulled in about 50 fish in the 2 days we were there.

Light pink jigs seemed to be preferred over red during the day and glow jigs with red or pink kept our rattle reels busy over night.

Other than the perch and a 30″ northern, all other fish were walleyes. There seemed to be alot of fish between 14″ and 15″ but we had a good variety up to our biggest which was a 24″ walleye caught by my 10 year old daughter.

The West Wind Resort took good care of us. Although the hard work was done by setting the shack in a pretty good location, we didn’t require much else. They stopped out numerous times to see if we needed anything.

The deluxe sleepers gave us the space that I wanted with two energetic children with short attention spans. The price was a little more but worth it for us. I had also brought my portable and gas auger but am really glad we didn’t need it.

Thank you to all who post reports on here! I had never been to Upper Red before but was encouraged to do so because of the reports I read online. Had a wonderful trip that I am sure my kids will not soon forget.

justfishmn
    Pine City, Minnesota

great report. thanks. was up around the same time but in our own house and had the same results but a little less. never the less it was very fun up there. glad to see you bring the kids out fishing also to keep the sport going for the younger generation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.