Just returned from LOW

• Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Just got back from 2 days of fishing on LOW.Despite the rain and slush on the lake fishing was very good.We took sleds out about 30 miles each day on the groomsd trail.The trail was in pretty good shape however travel off of the trail was tough going even by sled with all of the slush.We caught about 60+ fish each day with most being walleye and some nice jumbo perch mixed in.Gold jigging spoon with a frozen shiner and a dead stick with a pink jig and a chub caught equal amounts of fish.Got to try out my Quickfish3s and they worked out great on this trip.They set up and take down in about a minute or less and are very light and compact.I wish I would have bought one sooner.Heres a couple pics of the fish from day 1 & 2.We turned the first days fish into a fish fry.Ill be headed back up in 2 weeks.

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

Really nice looking fish! How big were those perch?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

12-13 inchers.Every one we caught was a little pig and we also lost a few.They were just hammering the bait when they hit.I plan on trying the same spot in 2 weeks and I hope there are more of them there.They were a blast to catch.They were there feeding on shiners along with the walleyes in 20 FOW on a gravel bar.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nice fish Castaway. Any bigger fish, over 25″ or so…

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Thank You for the report, Its got me pumped up. Our group is heading up on Wensday

jtimm
    Mora,MN

Nice catch! Beats ice fishing on Mille Lacs for the past 2 seasons! I’m tempted to make a trip up to LOW. 30 miles by sled huh? That’s quite a trek!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

They keep the snowmobile trail in pretty good shape up there so you can usually run 40-50 MPH on a sled towing a tub behind.30 miles was one way as we were fishing near the reefs and islands up there.We didnt get anything big,I think a 24 was the biggest.Not much for traffic up there,in 2 days we saw 3 other people up there on sleds.

jtimm
    Mora,MN

Nice to get a spot by yourself, with no commotion the fish probably bite better to. No pout?

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Looks like a great trip Robert. Would an atv be mobile up there or is a snowmobile necessary?

Jami

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

We didnt get any pout but I think we would have if we had stayed out later.We had most of our fish early and it takes an hour to get back to shore so we only fished till about 4 PM each day.Being that far out and the only ones around I dont like to take any chances.There are more wolves than people up in that area.

If conditions were right you could use a ATV but you cant go on the snowmobile trail.They will hang you if they catch you on it.Maybe if it gets cold and all of this slush freezes hard you might be able to but when you go out that far you also have to make it back.It can also be a real wet ride on a ATV if it is sloppy.Snowmobile has been the best and safest option so far this year.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

There is very little traffic or commotion up that way and with a GPS and a Lakemaster chip you have literally 1000s of acers of untaped water,Islands and reefs to explore.Not to mention walleyes dont nessessarily always hang to structure on LOW so you can have great fishing out in no mans land.

If you were to consider doing a trip like this use common sense and go prepared.There are very few people if any around and help is a long ways away.Also ATT has zip for cell phone service up there and I didnt like being out there without cell phone service but we went anyway.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Hey Robert,

What dates will you be up?

We will be staying by Long Point March 4th to the 8th.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

We are going for a few days at the end of this month.Ill get ahold of ya when I get back and give you a report.Hopefully this colder weather and a little snow will keep the snowmobile trail in tact up there.I think the lake will be pretty rough and tough on tubs when all that slush freezes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heading out of River Bend this weekend with a group of 8. Fishing Fri-Sun. They have their shacks way out thankfully. Hope the weather is good so we can fish outside as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.