summer time fishing on the rainy

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey guys,

this forum has been runnin’ dry for a while so i thought i’d try to revive it .

i have an opportunity to go up and fish the rainy river this summer. i’ve never been up there during the summer months before so i’m not sure what to expect. i know the big walleye time is early spring, but can you still catch them in july or august?

how about smallies? are they present and catchable? i’ve never really heard anything about them.

and what about them big sturgeon? should i bring along some big equipment and try and wrestle with them? how do you fish for sturgeon anyway? is it kind of like fishing for cats?

and any other info. anyone wants to share about fishing the rainy river during the summer months would be much appreciated .

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Jake,

The majority of walleyes will have moved out of the river and into the lake. There are still plenty of resident fish in the river. I would not overlook that option. If you are looking for pike, fish the head of the river at Wheelers Point. Cast spoons and spinner baits along the weed and cane there and on out to the gap. Sturgeon open up on July 1st and there will be people out fishing for them. Anchor up on any dip, lip, hole or turn and toss out a glob of crawler on a hook. Shouldn’t take too long to get hooked up.

Good Luck,

Jon J.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

thanks Jon, i’m glad that someone had some info for me .

would you say it’s a waste of time going for walleye? they can’t all go back to the lake can they?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I think it’s a little “The fish always bite better on the other side of the lake” mentality!

Here is the deal. There are a dozen large resort operations from the head of the lake (Wheelers Point) up towards Baudette. Almost everyone fishing takes advantage to the resort “Packages” that include the room, food in the restaurant and XX number of days on the Chartered fishing boats all of the resorts run. So at 8am every day, there is an exodus of 20-30 foot charter boats loaded up with customers headed out to the reefs on the lake. Out there they troll cranks mostly on downriggers and just hammer ‘em. Everyone takes turns reeling in fish till the boat limits out. Back at the resort the charter captain and helpers clean/pack/freeze the fish.

Now there are a few guys like you and me that drag a boat up and do it the hard way!!lol. But to answer the question “Are there fish in the river”? Yes, absolutely. Expect a mixed bag of walleye/sauger/pike and bass.

Another thing to know. The Minnesota Canada border runs smack down the middle of the river. If you don’t have a Canada fishing license and a remote border crossing permit, you will end up in a heap of crap with the Mounties! So keep it over on the Minnesota side if you are in the river.

Jon J.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.