Day Two

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

After spending the evening at Cyrus with an old football coach, I slid over a set of coords for his group to come out and join us, and spelled everything out as to what we were doing, as from the reports we were hearing from Morris, minus a solid report from Shortline, Pine, River and points further west of us, we were doing pretty well compared to the others, and in the fishing cleaning shack, we had a really nice average of fish to boot.

The area we were working was untouched by everyone else in the area, plenty of room, and decided to share in the fabulous bite we were having.

We got out there and saw the wind had switched basically a 180 degrees from the day before. Water color changed, temp remained the same and now we had blue bird skies and an even stronger wind.

We started shallow as that was where our best bite was the day before. There were still some fish there, but we were finding more and more fishing in that 18-22 feet of water then the day before.

Same procedure as yesterday, a Lindy Rainbowsmelt spinner rig, a 2 oz shak-e blade bottom bouncer, throw the rod in the rod holder and keep your speed between 1.2 and 1.4 mph and you were getting bit. And often. Our group fished until noon before heading to pack up. Our group had multiple fish in that 26-27.5 inch range, with many fish around that 22-24 inch.

Besides leadcore, pulling blades is my next favorite thing to do. I learned some really neat ways of doing things last summer from a friend Mark Bruzek, with all winter, I was ready to go pull blades.

Having the traditional father son bet of a buck on the first legal walleye over 16, buck for the big fish. We had an even split with dads 26 holding ground pretty solid. Our last run we decided to take it out to 26 fow. We were still catching fish, but were packing up to get ready to head home. I look over to my rod to see a tap tap of a small fish. Then saw the rod load and point towards bottom. I pulled it out of the rod holder, felt a few headshakes and started easing her topside. Fish came up nice and easy, dad slid her into the Beckman and, Wow was the word that came out of my mouth.

So heres a few pics from the day, Ill have the dimensions and picture of the big girl in a day or so…

Here’s a teaser for the big girl…it gets better though…(you have to love my dad’s homemade trough)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great report. Way to go on the big fish.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.