Slow….start, but awesome weekend!

• Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

We headed up Thursday night & hit the start of a snow storm in Black Duck. With the road conditions from “Shooks”-to-“Baudette ” being snow,slush,& ice we could only hit 35mph…
    Better to be safe then sorry.
    We happened to come up on a accident just pass “Kelliher”,guy pulling boat came up on a corner to fast,boat must of fished-tailed & lost control hit ditch & rolled truck with boat being tossed off trailer…

Back to fishing….
    We fished the river Friday. I don’t believe the air temp hit anywhere near 40. Projected forecast was 52…. .
    Launched out of Frontier & fished down river.
    Gold Jigs with Rainbows was our ticket for success.caught most fish in the 12′-14′ FOW. Mixed variety of sizes for us but Healthy looking fish. We only ended up boating about 20 fish in 5hrs & (1)-55″ sturgeon. with 3 guys..
    Not quit like the 100 fish a day everyone was reporting.
    Saturday- We boated around 40 fish for the three of us using same techniques.
    Sunday-our 3rd guy left so it was just the two of us.Got on water around 7:00,we jig’d till about 1:00 & had around 20 fish between the two of us. Then the wind picked up & we lost boat control.
    We tied on some cranks & wow …….we where Hogging!
    We ended up getting (1) 29″,(4)27″, & (15) mid 20’s…it was an unreal experience we had several doubles with one of them being a 27″ & a 26″.
    All in all it was a good weekend.
    If I could E-mail pictures of our weekend to get posted I would greatly appreciate it.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Conggrats on the good trip as I heard from some guys up there that it was a tough bite this weekend. I am heading up Tuesday morning for 2 quick days and was thinking on just bringing jigs and no cranks, but you have got my attention with your report. Was there a certain crank that was better than others? Were you using 3 ways? Any help is Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We drove by that rig in the ditch to. The truck and trailer where just about out of the ditch but the boat was still off in the weeds. Tough way to start a fishing trip.

Did you guys get stopped by the game wardens heading south? There was 2 separate patrols stopping trucks with boats just south of town on Sunday afternoon.

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

We tried to use three-ways but had no luck.So we long lined & had great success. As far as colors or size,we only had three options between our tackle .
    But they paid off! Just make sure your just off bottom.
    Good Luck.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

It took a while but I finally had a chance to post these for Corey. It only took a week

The pictures tell the story… What an awesome resource we have right in our backyard with the Rainy River and way to figure them out Corey!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great fish you guys,
    Nice job.
    Jack

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nice fish, good job with figuring out what the big gals wanted…cranks….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.