LOTW Report Pictures and Video

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Got up to lake of the woods with my family for the weekend. Sure glad we got up there, had an absolute blast and put a ton of fish topside, including a lot of big fish!

The first day, we started off shallow, 18 fow. Figured there would be a few fish starting to move up into the shallows.
    First fish of the trip was a beautiful 40 inch pike that my father landed on walleye gear. The next 7 of 8 fish were walleyes between 24 and 29 inches!

It was all mainly big fish, we ended up keeping a few that night for a nice fish fry.

Next morning we got up, and with the weather, and some of the current reports, I picked out a spot out deep, 18 miles out on a 2 foot break. I stayed put on the break and the other two portables split the difference, one deeper, one shallow.

The bite started slow, basically the time I was really kicking myself for not starting shallow, we started getting fish…and jumbo perch. I ended up catching a good pile of perch and as many saugers and walleyes we wanted. We ended up keeping our limits, smallest sauger was 15 inches and the smallest walleye was 17, really nice couple of buckets of fish. We also got a half dozen tullies each trip out.

The hot spot for us was the black and silver lindy flyer and the glow red frostee. We got a lot og dead stick fish as well, I was using a gold frostee. I got a ton of fish on the dead stick. I was making the fish chase 5-6 feet off the bottom and if they didnt eat the spoon, they slid back down and hammered the dead stick.

Video of my dad and his pike.
    I do have stress when I pulled the pike out of the hole, it looks like my right hand went for an awkward hold on the head of the pike. I was not going to grab the fish by the eyes or do anything to harm the fish, I placed my hand there in hopes to help subdue it in case it thrashed….

http://youtu.be/kL68Y4A1eeg

Here are some pics of the trip….

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Nice report and nice job to your team landing that pike. Looks like the tension level was high there for a while!!!

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Very nice report sounds like you and your family had a great trip! We are heading up there the 7th for weekend. Where did you fish out of? We are staying at Wigwam and taking our portables so we can fish shallow or deep.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.