’02 f-150 tune up

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

Stopped at the local dealer on the way home yesterday inquiring about a tune up for my truck. I was quoted a price of $425, 5.4L then the service manager added that if we break any of your plugs it’s an extra 55 for each one we break to replace them. I’ve heard some stories about the plugs on an 02 snapping but not alot, obviously it’s a known problem or the service people wouldn’t have brought it up to me anyway does this price seem crazy or am I that out of touch with today’s cost?

Gone are the days of gapping your points and doing the periodics by yourself with a couple of cold ones.

stevenoak

I have a 04 5.4.Plugs freeze up in aluminum heads.Been told it can happen in a very short time.What they didn’t tell you is if they loose any part of the plug extracting it the head {s} have to come off and its closer to $1000.00.Think I’m going to fix mine with a “Bowtie”. Steve

cravin4mor
    Isle, MN

I have been there and done that. My spark plug change on my 04′ ran about $1,200. The shop did not need to take the heads off to extract any debris. It was a design flaw that is causing them to cease. I am to understand they redisgned the plug.

For me fixing with a bowtie was not an option after they drank the Kool Aid and became Government Motors.

Good Luck

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Had my 01 done a couple years back, it was spendy, but they didn’t have any problems.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Eh?

Ford was the only car company – that did not take government money.

Dog

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Speaking of F-150.

Mine is going in for the same type of treatment – $1250 in service work at the 90k Mile mark.

Seems very pricey

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have an ’02 5.4. My understanding is that the plug blow out problem affects the 2002 model year because there aren’t enough threads in the head. The plugs are hard to access and you have to be very careful to torque them correctly when installing. I had mine replaced at St. Paul Automotive on Randolph Ave. at about 95,000 miles. I have over 160,000 miles on the truck now and no problems yet. Here’s hoping I never have any. I think they fixed the blow out problem in the 2004 model year, but I’m not sure.

The plug breaking problem affects 2004-2008 models, and was fixed in engines manufactured after 10/07. Here’s a link to a TSB where I got that info: http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/328090-newtsb-spark-plug-removal.html

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Please don’t turn a tune up post into a political post.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

PM me if you want a phone # of a guy I use that is near Hastings. He works out of a pole barn behind his house and his pricing (and quality of work…) is second-to-none! Worth a phone call…He just did a bunch of work on my 03′ F-150 and I was very happy…RR

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

My local dealer quoted me $425 on my 05 and said it would be extra if they broke any plugs. Went to another shop in town and they were $350 and after breaking two plugs I drove away with $425 less money to spend on fishing.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I have an ’02 5.4. My understanding is that the plug blow out problem affects the 2002 model year because there aren’t enough threads in the head. The plugs are hard to access and you have to be very careful to torque them correctly when installing. I had mine replaced at St. Paul Automotive on Randolph Ave. at about 95,000 miles. I have over 160,000 miles on the truck now and no problems yet. Here’s hoping I never have any. I think they fixed the blow out problem in the 2004 model year, but I’m not sure.

I had a ’99 and had this happen twice. Cost me about $200 each time. Never had a tune up and I sold her at well over 200,000. It was one hell of a reliable truck for the money I put in it.

iceman35
    upstate New York

The Plugs and coils on these trucks are nasty. I tried and failed doing it myself. A ford dealer can be pricey. Get on the net and you’ll get alot of info on this. Amazing how many of these trucks still on the road.
    “Tune Up” Hard to define this anymore… I would say do an oil change with a high quality oil, I use Royal purple 5W-30! not 5w 20, truck runs better… Quality filter, Fram tough guard, replace air filter, change rear end oil, royal purple again… coolant change, use the royal purple additve, runs noticably cooler. Bingo… driveway tune up. Only thing missing would be plugs, coils and wires, You better be real handy to try this…
    Plug and coil kits are available aftermarket. Might be able to find somebody to do this cheaper.
    my 2000 has gone 3 years with the current plugs…
    Today I chop Ice to get it out of storage, take it to dealer and get 4:10 rear end installed. My big truck expense for the year.
    Next year, Plugs, coils, gasket job, get it all done while they are in there…
    I do like the 97-03 fords though. nice not having a payment!

iceman35
    upstate New York

forgot to add, taking care of the gas a big deal now. I use a mixture of seafoam, startron and stabil. this little cocktail is a tune up in its self. I Also fill up every other tank eth free gas.
    got the truck out today, first time since nov. started right up. took a nice drive before I went to the dealer, ran great.
    walked home, looked at the new fords. $$$$ ouch!

huskerdu

Champion makes a 1 piece plug to replace the factory 2 piece this came out recently, Huskerdu!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.