Pflueger Arbor back spin?

• walleyejgr

Got a chance to hit the river today.Hooked in to a large carp 28lbs worth.Caught on a oyster shell Moxi,go figure.Any way the rotor would free spin backwards at times,but the handle did not turn backwards during the retrieve of this fish????never had a reel do this before,any ideas? Oh and the rod Eyecon 6’8″m/xtfst no problem!!!

red bricks
    Mpls, MN

I have a couple of XL Presidents for my Ice fishing rig and when I tried them out in cold weather I had the same experience. I called the Pflueger Tech guy and he said it was because of the heavier oil that is in there. He told me to put a lighter weight oil in the reel. He also said that he had not heard of this happening much before. I have had my reels 2 seasons. The lighter oil (3 and 1) seemed to help some but not eliminate the issue.

red bricks
    Mpls, MN

But my reel did not have the free spin without the handle. The handle on my reel DID move with the free backspin.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Other then this problem, how do you like the reel? I picked one up but haven’t used it yet.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Read Bret Clark’s advise for new Phlueger reels HERE . Good stuff.

-J.

walleyejgr

Got 2 of them. So far they have been reel solid.This was the first time it ever back spun on me.Considering the size and weight of the fish and the current and the drag screaming,like there was no tomorrow.It did pretty good.They cast nice even with 1/16oz jigs,solid drags,good line management,smooth.

walleyejgr

Quote:

Read Bret Clark’s advise for new Phlueger reels HERE . Good stuff.

-J.

Thanks guess I’m tearing down reel’s tonite to be ready for tomorrow morning,walleye are starting to hit a little better down here.

huskerdu

I had the same issues with a reels of the same design and bought new anti reverse bearings, I bought 4, used all of them on two reels over the years had the same problem again last summer on a big fish, poor quality. My understanding that 90% of the reels made over seas come out of the Silstar factory in China reguardless of the brand.

mojogunter

I tried a pflueger reel at everts when I was trying out a St. Croix rod. I think it was a president, but not sure of the model. I wasn’t impressed. It was fine for the eyes I caught, but when I hooked into a 20lbs catfish that was about all it seemed it could handle. Like I said I wasn’t impressed. I will stick with my stradics. Never had any issues at any temp or with any fish so far.

Quote:

I had the same issues with a reels of the same design and bought new anti reverse bearings, I bought 4, used all of them on two reels over the years had the same problem again last summer on a big fish, poor quality. My understanding that 90% of the reels made over seas come out of the Silstar factory in China reguardless of the brand.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I caught a big muskie yesterday on a Pflueger President and the reel performed flawlessly. It is the 25 model. I own six presidents and have never had a problem.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Anti Reverse roller bearings sometimes do not function at full speed cranking. The roller bearings needs a little friction movement to kick into the lock mode. I have never heard of a rotor backspinng without the handle backspinning either. Since the main gear and pinion gear do not disengage, I don’t see how it would work. Maybe the reel mechanics design is different in the Arbor reels.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Rotor spinning without the handle spinning? Are you sure the handle was tightened down?

walleyejgr

Quote:

Rotor spinning without the handle spinning? Are you sure the handle was tightened down?

My mistake yes the handle is also turning,tore it down last night cleaned it relubed it still doing it today I’m stumped.The other arbor I have doesn’t do it.Gonna call Pflueger tomorrow.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Quote:

Yes a loose handle might give one the illusion of rotor spin without handle movement. The other possiblity is rotor will spin forward and the handle must be held stationary to loosen up. When rotor spins backwards and handle is loose, it will eventually tighten up and back reel to as long as the pinion and main gear stay connected.

walleyejgr

Quote:

Quote:

Yes a loose handle might give one the illusion of rotor spin without handle movement. The other possiblity is rotor will spin forward and the handle must be held stationary to loosen up. When rotor spins backwards and handle is loose, it will eventually tighten up and back reel to as long as the pinion and main gear stay connected.

handle is tight,when this does it it wraps line up below the rotor real bad.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

I have several Pflueger President series and love them. I have caught chinook salmon with them and if any fish is going to put a reel to the test the chinook sure will. Last year on the wolf river I caught a 48″ sturgeon with my ultralight setup and 6lb test. What a fight and the reel performed flawlessly.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.